Redmond WA info?

Redmond WA info?

This is a discussion on Redmond WA info? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anybody here in or know much about the Redmond Washington area? As some of you know, we had a tough 09' financially, and are just ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redmond WA info?

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar

Redmond WA info?

Anybody here in or know much about the Redmond Washington area?

As some of you know, we had a tough 09' financially, and are just starting to recover. Well...now my new job may be slowing down alot so I'm looking around keeping options open.

I just had a phone interview with a company in Redmond, that went well and will go to another level, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can.

I've been to Seattle, and liked it, but not so much the lefty political vibe.
    I've also been to Bellingham on a project, and it was so pretty I almost stayed!

A (very) quick search online seems to indicate concealed carry permitting process doesn't seem too bad...

Opinions on the area? Weather? State? CC laws?

Help!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Mic
    Im not far from there, (Lakewood) and I'll share this much;

Politics.... well your on the Left coast, not much more to say, Seattle not to bad, big collage town, but gets more "hippie like" in Olympia and south

CC laws.... Will issue state so if you have a clean record and $60 you'll get your CCWP in 6 weeks.

Weather.... SUCKS!!!! natives say it dont rain all the time, but it dose, it even rains when it's not raining, trust me, I work outside,, in the rain

Football... the natives dont realize that the Seahawks suck, so they'r fun to mess with

Good luck brother
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Thanks Mic.
    The left lean does concern me, but is it perhaps more center/right near Redmond, since it seems to be a business hub?

CCW almost seemed easier than my current home in TN. I haven't looked at reciprocity, but I know we (TN) have it with almost as many states as Utah.

On rain...ehh. I grew up in Central NY, and even TN has a fall/winter rainy season, so as long as there are some sunny days, I guess I'd be ok.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Depends on how much you want to spend on housing lol

Redmond, WA Real Estate & Redmond Homes for Sale - Zillow

You can search other areas if you want to commute to work. Drivers around here suck. Be ready to drive defensively on almost a daily basis. Talking on phones or just not paying attention. I was almost hit once this morning and then not 10 minutes later, I almost hit some lady that cut right in front of me.

Other than that, rain, wet, wind, wet, rain, partially cloudy, rain, sun, rain.....

East Pierce and King County are more Right, Seattle is basically liberal central for the county.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55 if you want to ask questions from people all around here.

Thanks!
    Is the rain REALLY that constant? I guess I should look up the number of sunny days and all that..

And as for the drivers...Well, believe it or not, the drivers here in TN seem to be second only to Boston from what I've seen of bad driving!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I spent 3 yrs in Spokane, (I know all the way across the state) and I could not beleive the amount of snow they have. one bright spot is that's where I learned to drive, in the winter in a 3 speed on the columun ford maverick. Needless to say I can go anywhere I want and drive.

Thanks Dr. I learned to drive in the snow as well. Made me a confident driver.

It's a beautiful state...just not sure about the weather. And, as you know, I love Tennessee! BUT I may have to go where the money is.

BTW..I tried to email you last week, and it bounced back!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Anybody else from around there? The more research I do, the more I like the idea of the area. Mountains, water, woods...that part is awesome for me.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Arko,

I grew up in Federal Way, halfway between Seattle and Tacoma. It is a great area to live, other than the liberal lean. Plenty of activities, museums, the Science Center, the coast is a little more than an hour in one direction, snow-skiing etc about the same distance the other way. All kinds of outdoor activities, hiking the Pacific Crest trail, the Ice Caves at Rainier, amazing power of nature's capability to destroy at Mt St. Helens, great charter boat salmon fishing at Westport, the rainforest on the Olympic peninsula, and plenty more.

My parents moved back down to Oregon in '95 when they retired, so I haven't been back since then, but it still amazed me everytime I went back how much Mt Rainier dominated the landscape. Nothing like that to compare on the east coast, Mt Washington in NH is less than 1/2 the height.

Remember, Seattleites don't tan, they rust.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Thanks!
    Is the rain REALLY that constant? I guess I should look up the number of sunny days and all that..
    It's not so much that we get a constant rain (there are other areas of the country that actually have higher rainfall amounts per year then we do) but that we have a lot of gray, overcast days where you're certain that it will rain but it never actually does, and IMO that is worse then if it would just rain and get it over with! A weather term you will become familiar with when moving to western WA is "sun breaks", especially this time of year! (think "mostly sunny with a chance of clouds only in REVERSE! )
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

Thanks Mike.
    The outdoor opportunities really excite me. And as much as the crunchy-granola vibe in Seattle would bug me after awhile, my wife would love being so close to a couple sizable cities.

Gotta admit though, being so close to active volcanoes scares me a bit too.

It surprises me a bit that the gun laws are even more favorable than here in TN, given the left lean out there. I hope change isn't on the horizon there with that.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by drkangl6 View Post
    It's not so much that we get a constant rain (there are other areas of the country that actually have higher rainfall amounts per year then we do) but that we have a lot of gray, overcast days where you're certain that it will rain but it never actually does, and IMO that is worse then if it would just rain and get it over with! A weather term you will become familiar with when moving to western WA is "sun breaks", especially this time of year! (think "mostly sunny with a chance of clouds only in REVERSE! )
    This concerns me somewhat...Where I grew up it's always gray, and it DID get depressing, but then again, at least it seems in WA there are things to do, rather thn sit in the house when it's like that.

Looks like an amazing place to ride my motorcycle.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I lived in Bellevue for a few years, right next to Redmond. It rains all the time, but usually it's just drizzle, so it's even more depressing. Overcast most days, except in summer, the sun tends to shine a little more. Fall, winter, and spring all suck. I did not enjoy the whole left wing thing there...I think WA has one of the highest rates of welfare abuse out of any state also. I like TX so much better. It is a nice area though as far as the scenery goes. Lots of trees and public land.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I lived in Bellevue for a few years, right next to Redmond. It rains all the time, but usually it's just drizzle, so it's even more depressing. Overcast most days, except in summer, the sun tends to shine a little more. Fall, winter, and spring all suck. I did not enjoy the whole left wing thing there...I think WA has one of the highest rates of welfare abuse out of any state also. I like TX so much better. It is a nice area though as far as the scenery goes. Lots of trees and public land.
    I know it sounds trivial, but the constant rain does worry me. I like sun. Alot.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Texas too, but the company I'm interviewing with is in WA..and if it goes all the way, IS a good (more stable) opportunity.

All options being considered at this point though. and ideally my current
    employer would immediately gain more contracts and kee me here in TN!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I live in the town of Carnation, 10 miles east of Redmond. If you look on a map, Redmond is slightly to the right of Seattle, Carnation is even farther to the right. Ideologically as well as cartographically. Personally, I think Redmond is too close to Seattle in both respects. I'll stick to my small town. The farther you get from Seattle, in any direction, the less liberal the people are.

As you've noted, though, there is lots to do around here. Hiking, biking, camping, fishing, hunting, skiing, motorcycle riding...

And, you are right that the gun laws are fairly good here as well. Must Issue CPL. Fairly active open carry crowd. There is an attempt right now in the state legislature to enact an 'assault weapons' ban. It's a case of certain anti-gun legslators from the Seattle area to exploit the recent killings of police officers to pass a bill that they have tried and failed to even get out of committee in the past. Hopefully we can keep it locked up again. Even local sheriffs agree it won't do any good. And Seattle's (now former) mayor passed an illegal ban in some city parks and community centers, which is now being taken to court, and should lose based on the states preemption statutes.

Today's forecast: gray with a chance of gray. But the good news is, even though it may be damp, the temperatures are fairly moderate; You can do most of the above activities year-round if you dress for it. Not much snow in the Redmond area typically, but the ski areas are less than an hour away.

As far as the volcanoes, Redmond is not in a high risk area; some other parts of western Washington are. Where I am, the problem is the flooding. Two major rivers within 1/2 mile of my house. My house isn't at risk (unless the Tolt dam breaks), but there are times I can't get in or out of town. Redmond doesn't have this problem.

Good luck with the job, I'm still looking.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links