Ammunition in the classroom....thought that was illegal

This is a discussion on Ammunition in the classroom....thought that was illegal within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Now we know why. From the Darwin Awards website. I considered placing this one in the 'Armed Citizen success stories'..... CONFIRMED HONORABLE MENTION (3 April ...

Thread: Ammunition in the classroom....thought that was illegal

Closed Account Array Steelhorse's Avatar

Now we know why.

From the Darwin Awards website. I considered placing this one in the 'Armed Citizen success stories'.....

CONFIRMED HONORABLE MENTION (3 April 2004, California) An adult education teacher named Robert gave 25 students an unexpected and impromptu lesson in explosive ordinance safety during class one day.

Apparently Robert had found a 40mm shell on a hunting trip years ago. Using opaque reasoning, Robert figured the round must be inert, and kept it. Not only did he keep it, he used it as a nifty paperweight on his desk at school. Surely such a unique decoration would start many interesting conversations. Perhaps so, but more notably it made Robert a ticking time bomb for a Darwin Award.

One day, Robert spotted a bug crawling across his desk. Did he squash it with a tissue and dispose of it? Sweep it out the door and continue with his lesson? Ignore it and leave it to its happy existence? No, he did not. Instead, Robert picked up the five-inch shell and slammed it down on the unhappy insect. The impact set off the primer, and the resulting explosion caused severe burns and lacerations to his hand, and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso. No one else in the classroom was hurt.

To Robert's consolation, his actions did succeed in eliminating the bug. I considered sending Robert a can of bug spray for future use, but bug spray is flammable.

man there are a lot of stupid people out there

I got one of those on my desk, but it says "INERT" on it.

Not sure how hitting a flat surface would set off a primer though, unless he hit some sort of protruding object.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Ya can't cure stupidity!

VIP Member
    I had a guy call 911 once who said he had found what looked like a pipe bomb just lying on the sidewalk. Does he call right away? Noooo, he picked it up and shook it. Hmmm, sounded like there was some powder stuff in it. So he puts it back down, goes home and calls. Sure enough, when the bomb squad picks it up, it really is a pipe bomb filled with gunpowder. Another lucky imbecile who played with a bomb and lived to tell about it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    Back in my young days (about mid last century!) - there was quite a lot of ''war trophy'' paraphanalia around. Most was odd rounds of 50 cal and shell fuzes but now and again something bigger would turn up.

As bomb damaged houses were repaired and rebuilt, unexploded stuff was found and one guy at school found a 25lb I think it was, incendiary bomb. Kept it in his bedroom until his dad realized on seeing it there just might be a problem!

It was handed in (collected) by EOD and dealt with - plus the info that had it gone off, even tho no major explosion it would almost for sure have resulted in house burning down. Phosphorous type deal I daresay.

This 40mm episode sounds suspect as that size munition could I would have thought have taken out the guy totally and not just burns/shrapnel - unless itself I guess an incendiary type shell. This one would have to be ''Darwin Attempt'' if he survived!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    He's lucky he didnt detonate the warhead or he would'nt have been alive to talk about it. IRRC, it has to travel about 30 meters or so and a spinning disk on the back of it arms it. This was designed as a fail safe so that you couldnt shoot something too close to you and blow yourself up. It sounds like he got powder burns from the primer setting off the powder, which would be a pretty fair amount.

It could have been worse.

I cant beleive that it sat there that long without someone noticing it.

VIP Member
    This happened about 2 years ago at the hotel where I work. I arrived at the begining of my shift to see the Bomb Disposal Unit truck leave. I asked my boss what had happened and he did not say squat. Later I asked my supervisor what was that all about and he explained that a maid found a grenade in a room and, since it looked suspicious, decided to put it in a bag & take it to Housekeeping. Doing this forced her to go through the lobby of the hotel where a big crowd was checking in. She showed the content of the bag to her supervisor who decided to take the matter (and the grenade) to the general manager. The GM's office is right by the lobby where, guess what? The big check in was still raging on. To his credit, the GM called security and the morning supervisor decided the grenade was a danger so...... he took the bag outside going by the lobby once more. Finally somebody had the sense to call the director who inmediately evacuated the area and called police who took the thing away. The official version was that the thing was a training dummy but my supervisor (who had arrived earlier) said: The Officers' faces said otherwise."
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhorse
    Now we know why.

From the Darwin Awards website. I considered placing this one in the 'Armed Citizen success stories'.....

explosive ordinance safety during class one day.
    AN exploding law, how unique!! Most of us call it "ordnance".

You'd be surprised at what people keep and what they do with it. I have a couple of horror stories from the old job.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight
    he picked it up and shook it. Hmmm, sounded like there was some powder stuff in it. So he puts it back down, goes home and calls. Sure enough, when the bomb squad picks it up, it really is a pipe bomb filled with gunpowder. Another lucky imbecile who played with a bomb and lived to tell about it.
    I used to LOVE people like that! When dummies did that I know I probably didn't have have to worry about an anti-disturbance device in the pipe!
    Rick

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    He's lucky he didnt detonate the warhead or he would'nt have been alive to talk about it. IRRC, it has to travel about 30 meters or so and a spinning disk on the back of it arms it.
    Good memory! They need at least 25 yards and centrifugal force to fully armed. Doctors in SEA managed to remove a couple 40MM rounds from folks when they didn't travel far enough, they made a big hole but didn't detonate.
    Rick

Senior Moderator
    Doctors in SEA managed to remove a couple 40MM rounds from folks when they didn't travel far enough, they made a big hole but didn't detonate.
    Yeah...I would think that a 1.5" hole in you would be enough to ruin your day...luckily they are pretty low velocity or the doctors wouldnt have had to mess with it...

Links