My Daughters misunderstanding on Haiti Earthquake

This is a discussion on My Daughters misunderstanding on Haiti Earthquake within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My Daughters misunderstanding on Haiti Earthquake. First off this is not to make light of the awful disaster there. My 10 year old daughter was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Daughters misunderstanding on Haiti Earthquake

My Daughters misunderstanding on Haiti Earthquake

My Daughters misunderstanding on Haiti Earthquake.

First off this is not to make light of the awful disaster there. My 10 year old daughter was watching Fox News with me and they had been showing the terrible images and then it said our Marines took control of there airport and the 82nd Airborne were going in. She looked at me and said that will teach them to mess with the US. I asked her what she thought had happened there. She said I thought they made us mad and we bombed them. I explained I liked her thinking but here is what happened.

VIP Member
    'm really more concerned about your daughter seeing the images than I am about her misunderstanding. There are things we should try to keep from young children.

It is understandable that a 10 year old would make that error. I'm afraid plenty of adults who don't read or listen to news regularly might think the same.

I would urge you to have a talk with her about the images; about the fact that these are (were) real ordinary people and that sometimes natural disasters happen and bad things happen to good people. However, emphasize that she is safe and that this happened "far away" from where she is. And emphasize the good that the US is doing by trying to provide help.

Kids need to feel safe and they need reassurance that they are safe, and that while it is possible bad things might happen, it is so rare that it is nothing to worry about. Explain if it is true, that you don't live in an earthquake zone. Or, if you do, that your house and her school are specially designed for earthquake zones.

You wouldn't let her see adult images. Don't let her watch dead bodies.

I

What did she think after you 'splain'd' the whole situation the her? It's almost un-nerving that with all the talk in the news about Afghanistan and Iraq and other 'hot-spots' that children would misunderstand the actual goings-on in the world. And with those images and pictures being shown every couple of seconds in the news, I can see why she's think it's a war zone. Those people there are certinaly hurting right now.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Hey,....

Danny Glover thinks that it was caused by global warming, and that Hugo Chavez is the Hero to the rescue in Haiti.

What a maroon!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

She is a very well grounded ten year old. She just saw the rubble. She understands we do not have much to worry about as for earthquakes just tornadoes in our area. She has gotten her brother and 5 of her friends to donate to the Red Cross.

Of course, if I did not daily deprogram her she would be more concerned of being killed with the polar bears because of Global Warming that is taught each day in school. That really ticks me off.

Yeah, Sgt. Murtaugh is right on top of things. Will Obama name him to Conspiracy Czar?????

Quote Originally Posted by ms121269 View Post
    My Daughters misunderstanding on Haiti Earthquake.

First off this is not to make light of the awful disaster there. My 10 year old daughter was watching Fox News with me and they had been showing the terrible images and then it said our Marines took control of there airport and the 82nd Airborne were going in. She looked at me and said that will teach them to mess with the US. I asked her what she thought had happened there. She said I thought they made us mad and we bombed them. I explained I liked her thinking but here is what happened.
    You mean we're NOT responsible? I thought that everything that went wrong in the world was our fault? Did I miss something? Has Hollywood dropped off into the ocean?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    Danny Glover thinks that it was caused by global warming, and that Hugo Chavez is the Hero to the rescue in Haiti.

What a maroon!
    Glover is hopeless.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

I think Bush & Cheney caused it.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Carry gun Glock 22 modified by my friend Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat + Crimson Trace LG-417.

2nd Kahr PM40 or .32 NAA.

NRA Life Member

Mic
    Not to make light of the situation, but why are we sending billions of dollars in relief funds to a place where most people live on a dollar a day??????
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    'm really more concerned about your daughter seeing the images than I am about her misunderstanding. There are things we should try to keep from young children.
    Respectfully, I don't agree.

As for the daughter's misunderstanding, it is a great opportunity for her to learn about earthquakes and their effects. I grew up in earthquake country so I received some first hand experience. She might need a little a trip to the library to catch up :)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Please do not take this wrong....The world has wasted billions and billions over the last 20 years plus and because of corrupt dictators. The people have suffered so much and are going to suffer much more. On the same island of Hispaniola where Haiti and Dominican Republic set it is a tale of two countries. The difference is amazing. I just hope and pray that money does what it is intended to do. Near me Convoy of Hope Providing Real Help and Lasting Hope to People in Need :: Convoy of Hope out of Springfield, MO is doing a bunch of good there. I have gave to them as well as the Red Cross.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Carry gun Glock 22 modified by my friend Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat + Crimson Trace LG-417.

2nd Kahr PM40 or .32 NAA.

NRA Life Member

I like your daughter's attitude , "if they mess with us..... ". LOL... .. that was choice.

its all the republicans fault , the earthquake was a setup to make obama look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jjwestbrook View Post
    its all the republicans fault , the earthquake was a setup to make obama look bad.
    No man it is a government conspiracy they planed this earth quake to make the Republicans look bad... Just like 911.... Darn where did my aluminum foil go.......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by jjwestbrook View Post
    No....No....No....Just ask Pat Robertson why Haiti is "being punished"...
    He's the guy in the know.....ahhh....yeah.....right....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links