Credit Card Fraud....

Credit Card Fraud....

This is a discussion on Credit Card Fraud.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have had a credit card scam event.(Debit-Visa). The thing is, the card I used is from a Credit Union, and I seldom use it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Fraud....

Credit Card Fraud....

I have had a credit card scam event.(Debit-Visa). The thing is, the card I used is from a Credit Union, and I seldom use it. I use it for online ammo, and other gun related item purchasing, because I only fund it periodically to cover such purchases, hoping to ad a margin of safety that way.

The only recent purchases I have made with it was at some ammo dealers, online, and a local gun shop. It is impossible to know the source of the scam, but it seems plausible that there is a crook in play at one of those businesses.

Anyway, the scam shows up on the account as 'paysales Wal Mart'. I googled that and discovered there is a lot of info on this one. Naturally, I have contacted the Credit Union, today, and done the necessary procedure to suspend the card.

I thought a good way to perhaps track down the source is to mention it here, in the chance that another D/C poster has noticed the same on their accounts.

Any info from one in that situation would be welcome. Thanks, Carry ok.

p.s., No, I have never used the card at Wal Mart, or Wal Mart online sales, if that exists.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Senior Moderator
    It may not be anyone at the retailers you shop with. There have been a few cases of card processors being hacked / losing data.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member

Debit-visa

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    I have had a credit card scam event.(Debit-Visa).
    The law doesn't give debit card users the same protections it gives credit card users. If possible use a credit card and just make sure to pay it off each month.

With a credit card your losses are legally limited to $50, and most card companies will forgo that charge.

Debit cards open up your checking account. I use mine only as an ATM card at a real bank; never for a purchase in a store and never for on on-line purchase.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    It may not have anything to do with those people that you have used the card with. I once had money taken from my checking account by a gang in Thailand -- I've never been to Thailand. They made a card with my number, (and presumably thousands of other cards, as well) chose their own PIN and made the rounds at various ATMs in Bangkok.

My credit union straightened it out rather quickly.

Some one got there hands on my wife's paypal account number and charged a laptop from Best Buy online.

Paypal quickly fixed the problem.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thanks.....

I do not know the 'ins and outs' of the process. I accept that it is not necessarily someone at one of the businesses that has 'hacked' the card/account.

The credit union will submit my dispute to Visa, and said I should get a re-credit. I am glad that I keep a check on the account online. I assume that the 'perps' make their ill gotten gain off of persons who do not make regular checks into accounts. The amount of $24.99 was consistent with the others who posted online of the same scam.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I am not an expert at this stuff, but I was under the impression that disputing a debit card issue was much more difficult than disputing a credit card issue. Therefore, I don't use a debit card on the internet or where my pin has to be revealed to a person.

I only use ONE credit card that is 'insured' against theft...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Actually....

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    I am not an expert at this stuff, but I was under the impression that disputing a debit card issue was much more difficult than disputing a credit card issue. Therefore, I don't use a debit card on the internet or where my pin has to be revealed to a person.
    when I called the C/U, the rep. said that there is a code on the transaction showing that the transaction was a not pin code t/a. It was, according to the thread online, a 'hack' job. Also, there was no indication from the C/U people that there was any less protection for the card when used as a 'debit' card. It is a Visa, so my understanding is that the same procedure/protection applies.

I had a CC got hacked in Canada,they charged almost 1000.00 in a few different transactions,first transaction was for only a few dollars to see if it was good,I reported the bogus transactions to my CC fraud department and they took care of it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sometime ago, when my husband bought his 1911 (at Cabela's), everything went well until he saw his credit card charges. He check every single item in what he has to pay when it comes to bills you see. He noticed an entry for $100. He notified our bank and then we went to Cabela's to inform them and complained. Apparently, we were not the first ones to complained. That was the third one that same week. His card was cancelled by the bank and was issued another credit card and Cabela's investigated. It apparently came from one the staff...who is now in jail. Nowadays we have a metal casings on our card carriers as hacking without even holding or touching your card can now be done electronically.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

VIP Member

Here is the thing...

The account number can be taken anywhere in the process, either electronically, from a receipt, or from a report. I have even seen clueless Vice Presidents email card holder lists to clearing houses before, but that is another story.

Point is, now your card number is out in the wild. Besides disputing the charge, you need to call the bank, report the card number as stolen, and have them issue you a new account number. My advice, do this quickly to prevent further headaches down the line.

I had one show up on a card that I never used. They kept questioning about it, as it was for "software" they downloaded to their computer. LOL. They tracked the AP address for the download and let me know later the guy was found and charged.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    The account number can be taken anywhere in the process, either electronically, from a receipt, or from a report. I have even seen clueless Vice Presidents email card holder lists to clearing houses before, but that is another story.

Point is, now your card number is out in the wild. Besides disputing the charge, you need to call the bank, report the card number as stolen, and have them issue you a new account number. My advice, do this quickly to prevent further headaches down the line.
    already done. And the charge is supposed to be recredited. But what a PITB.

To me the big problem is that if someone hijacks your debit card and cleans ten grand out of your checking account, you will get your money back, but it may be 2-3 months down the road after the bank does all it's investigating. In the mean time you don't have access to your money. If the same thing happens with a credit card and they charge up ten grand on your card, you pick up the phone and call 1-800 visa and spend a few minutes explaining what happened and let them go figure it out. I don't have a debit card and I never will. If I need to use plastic, I go with a Visa card and write them a check when the bill comes in. Works out the same without the debit card headaches. I don't like plastic anyway, cash is still king.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links