Random thought 1

This is a discussion on Random thought 1 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If someone gives you a gift card to a gun shop, and you buy a gun, could this be construed by an anti or the ...

Thread: Random thought 1

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Random thought 1

If someone gives you a gift card to a gun shop, and you buy a gun, could this be construed by an anti or the ATF as a straw buy?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't think so. It would be the same as if some one gave you a birthday card with cash in it. Then again, common sense never really figures in to the minds of some people. Anti's can read bad intentions in to just about anything.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    No; I think the purpose of the gift card is to avoid any appearance of a straw buy.

Administrator
    No. Its not a straw purchase until that person fills out the 4473.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No. Its not a straw purchase until that person fills out the 4473.

It's not who puts up the money.

It's who gets the gun -- it must be the same person who fills out the 4473.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

It's not really who fills out the 4473. It's perfectly legal for me to purchase a gun, fill out the 4473 in my name and then gift it to someone else. It only becomes a straw purchase if I give the gun to someone who could not have legally bought the gun themselves.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    If someone gives you a gift card to a gun shop, and you buy a gun, could this be construed by an anti or the ATF as a straw buy?
    This could possibly get you into trouble...send me the gift card and I'll be the test subject. I'll only do this for fellow forum members.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    If somebody gives you a gift card for a gun shop, and you buy a gun..........

then you have really great friends and family

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    It's not really who fills out the 4473. It's perfectly legal for me to purchase a gun, fill out the 4473 in my name and then gift it to someone else. It only becomes a straw purchase if I give the gun to someone who could not have legally bought the gun themselves.

Hoss

Also true -- albeit some States complicate the federal process with registration and other nonsense.

I was just reflecting on someone giving money or a gift card before the purchase.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Hoss
    This is what I've alway's thought.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    No, like the others have stated.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    This is what I've alway's thought.
    From the ATF's "Don't Lie for the Other Guy" pamphlet:
    Purchasing a gun for someone who is prohibited by law from possessing one, or for someone who does not want his or her name associated with the transaction, is a “straw purchase,” a Federal crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.
    From the "Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms . Youth Crime Gun Interdiction Initiative" glossary:
    STRAW PURCHASE
    The acquisition of a firearm(s) from a Federally licensed firearms dealer by an individual (the straw purchaser) for the purpose of concealing the identity of the true intended receiver of the firearm(s).
    From the "Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms • Youth Crime Gun Interdiction Initiative" publication
    Straw Purchaser
    A straw purchaser is a person illegally purchasing a firearm for another person, for instance for a juvenile or adult felon.
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links