Garage safes?

Garage safes?

This is a discussion on Garage safes? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is it a good idea to keep a safe in the garage? Heat, humidity, cold... In the south especially South Carolina, is it a good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage safes?

Garage safes?

Is it a good idea to keep a safe in the garage?

Heat, humidity, cold...

In the south especially South Carolina, is it a good idea? I'm not comfortable with the idea of a 1,400 pound safe on the second floor of my house... there's no where to put a sizeable safe up there anyway... and on the first floor, forget it. The house isn't set up to keep something that size there and I think my wife would object highly... so that leaves me with the garage... concrete slab...

the only up side is it is easy to install and bolt to the floor... on the down side, Temperature change draws moisture, more visible and hence prone to theft, all a BG has to do is to wrap a chain around it and yank it out of the floor and leave with your stuff...

As your negatives in the house, weight a water bed can hit that... size of a double refrigerator for one of the larger ones, So no basement?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Looks like you have three choices:

New House

New Wife

Safe in the Garage

Kidding aside... add the largest Golden Rod for the humidity and keep a close check for rusting issues. That said I'm in SC also and my Gunsafe is in "my living room". I have some say In my own home... I'm divorced!
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

No, we tend not to have basements in the south... :)

As for bolting it down... I'm thinking of having 4 of those 2 - 2 1/2" bolts that you see holding light ploes in parking lots down and mounting them in the slab... then placing the safe on top of those and locking it down with nuts and washers. I don't think it would go anywhere with that...

Then again, lifting the 1,400 pound behemoth would be tricky and then drilling the holes to mount it to the bolts would not be fun either...

No, I'm keeping the house... we had it built.

I'm also keeping the wife. I'm especially fond of this model... the previous one expired... :(

I guess I'll keep it in the garage... maybe put it on a platform so the metal isn't in direct contact with the concrete... bolt it to the floor somehow and possibly build an insulated box around it... keep a golden rod in there and a couple of buckets of dessicant as well...

That's IF I ever get a safe.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion12 View Post
    I guess I'll keep it in the garage... maybe put it on a platform so the metal isn't in direct contact with the concrete... bolt it to the floor somehow and possibly build an insulated box around it... keep a golden rod in there and a couple of buckets of dessicant as well...

That's IF I ever get a safe.
    Turn the garage into your personal space "mancave" A huge gunsafe will look great along side your tool box, reloading bench and other "guy" stuff. I'm out In my garage about everyday piddling around and with the sheetrock and insulated walls my kerosene heater keeps it nice and toasty even during the latest cold snap.

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I agree turn the area into your man cave and build a new garage.... but in todays world 1,400 pounds is not very much, one newer model PU can manhandle it n hence so can any BG, bolted down or not....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I keep mine in the garage, I don't have quite the humidity that you do but ours stays in the 70% range. I use a couple of those reusable desicant packs and haven't had rust issues in the 2 years it's been there. I'm very careful to keep a close eye on the moisture meter. You would be suprised at how stable the temp is in your garage. I'm not sure about how cold it gets there but in the winter it's routinely below freezing and the garage stays around 50 degrees inside when it 10 outside. Summer it is usually 5-10 degrees cooler than outside temps.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    in todays world 1,400 pounds is not very much, one newer model PU can manhandle it n hence so can any BG, bolted down or not....
    I was appalled at how easily the one delivery guy manipulated and maneuvered my safe off the truck and into place. Of course, he didn't have to get up and over anything ugly, nor go through a flight of stairs. His special-purpose hand truck did just fine. Though, I am still amazed that a ton of steel was zipped around by that little bean pole of a man, spiffy hand truck or not. It was discouraging to realize that if he could do it, so could a robber.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Dang, that's a nice garage. Mind if I ask how much it cost to remodel it?
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Nice setup Shadow!

Makes me wanna clean mine up and make a man cave outa it too...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I was appalled at how easily the one delivery guy manipulated and maneuvered my safe off the truck and into place.
    Heck ya me too! I've since then had mine bolted to the floor. It may not stop um entirely, but between that and the home alarm, I hoping they'll run outa time before they can score on my weapons stash....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I keep mine in my farm shop in Mississippi. So far so good. I had orginally planned on putting cutting tourch head and grinders in the safe so I wouldn't be providing the tools for them to get into the safe but after I stored the powder I didn't have room.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I had the same problem not much room in my house for a large safe. It's very humid in Oregon, and I was worried about the same thing. I like the garage option cause you can bolt it down to concrete. I know 2 people who have had their safes cut out of the wood floor when somebody broke in. Anyway I would for sure get a golden rod and one of those rechargeable silica gel packs from cabelas. It's worked for me so far.
    here is a link to the silica pack
    Cabela's -- Search Simple Product
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

OK heres a thought.... instead of one big how about 2 or more smaller hence easer to take up the steps....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links