BBQ Bidness

This is a discussion on BBQ Bidness within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm thinking of starting a BBQ catering business. I have most of the equipment and the drive but, what I'm looking for is insider info, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Bidness

BBQ Bidness

I'm thinking of starting a BBQ catering business. I have most of the equipment and the drive but, what I'm looking for is insider info, pricing schedule, and Health Department guidance.

I have won 3 local BBQ Cook-Offs.

I would like to cook mainly whole hog, briskets, ribs, and chicken, but would do goat, lamb and kabobs.

I would be grateful for any inside help.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

2. Remove Ads

I'd help eat it! But that's about all I'm good for.

The local Chamber of Commerce is the best place to start WRT Health Dept. stuff, business licenses, etc., etc. They'll point ya in the right direction.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

THIS fellow lives down the street from me and has built up a pretty good business in Lake Wylie, SC and the Charlotte area. Aside from the catering part one of his BBQ trucks is always in Lake Wylie on Thurs & Sat with plenty of customers. The last time I bought a Pork sandwich I believe it was $5.50 (including tax) Dam now I'm getting hungry again!

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I had a buddy that recently died that did BBQ catering. He told me he made way more money from bottled water than the BBQ.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Mike, we can't give you any help or advice until we taste this award winning Q.

May I suggest a DC lunch here in NC? You can feed us some of this Q and THEN we'll give you all the suggestions/encouragement you need! :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Call your local health department, they will get you all educated up about the regulations they have. This can get pretty involved.

No insider info, but I know a guy who has a concession trailer. They sell hotdogs and such. He said the best place to make money is at events.

Most caterers that I know of charge per person. The local ones here charge $9-$11 per person. The $11 one serves two meats, three vegetables, bread, drinks, and dessert.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I will donate my time to QC the finished product.

VIP Member
    One consideration to not take lightly is location. A friend of mine recently set up a BBQ business right outside of one of the gates @ Fort Gordon. Thousands of soldiers having to tolerate the wonderful smell of BBQ. It wasn't long before he had a contract to provide a 'roach coach' on the base, and now he's expanding to other installations.

MMMmmmm... I drool just thinking about it.

Check out your local SCORE agency. They will look at your idea and help you come up with any if not all the information you might need.

It's free..................

bosco

Just watch BBQ pitmasters on TLC and do what they do....LOL Seriously...sounds like a great venture, and would be very fun if you could make decent profit.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'm on a liquid diet for a couple days. This discussion is just plain cruel.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    I'm on a liquid diet for a couple days. This discussion is just plain cruel.
    That's what blenders are for!

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    You'll need a BBQ gun. ;)

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    You'll need a BBQ gun. ;)

perfect & portable
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Well friends,I may have to shelf this idea for awhile.After a few visits to the health dept I have found out that in order to cater bbqs at functions i would be required to have a commerical kitchen to use for my prep work,one that has been inspected and has a letter grade from the Health dept.

I asked a friend that has a few pubs,if I could use/rent one of his kitchens,he very nicely declined,stating that hes tried it before and it ended badly,things came up missing(from both parties),they left the kitchens dirty and so on.

Another friend of the family who has a catering business also declined,saying she didnt need the compitition,I tried to assure her we would never cross forks because she only caters highend sitdowns with linens and waitstaff,where I would do picnics,summer parties company fun days and the like. I thought she would also like the option BBQ and not turning one of her regular customers if they requested it,but sadly no luck.

I refuse to quit,I will keep charging.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links