Walmart and the Economy

This is a discussion on Walmart and the Economy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't know how true these numbers are. 1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart every hour of every day. 2. This works out to $20,928 ...

Thread: Walmart and the Economy

Walmart and the Economy

I don't know how true these numbers are.

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart every hour of every day.
    2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!
    3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.
    4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.
    5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private Employer, and most speak English.
    6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.
    7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.
    8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket Chains sought bankruptcy.
    9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.
    10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 Years ago.
    11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur At a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)
    12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.
    You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that.....
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to fix the economy because the idiots in Washington sure can't do it!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    At one point I read somewhere that Wal Mart alone was responsible for something around 3% of the United States' GDP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    I have very mixed feelings about Walmart. I shop there a lot because it is quite close and prices are good, and they have almost everything except for stuff I need a real hardware store to get.

There is no doubt that they have improved availability of shopping and brought prices down or held the line on very many items.

They have also been a leader, not a cheerleader, for the movement of manufacturing from the US to other lands, and they have been a leader in generally poor treatment of their "associates." Innumerable reports of work off the clock, use of part time employees to avoid meeting obligations, illegal workers, and more such as and shifting the cost of medical care from insurance to Medicaid, do not make them a good example of a responsible organization.

On balance, maybe it is all a wash, but business people can't run government. They have proven it over and over and over again. Government has responsibilities to everyone, and business leaders, especially those with large corporate experience, have learned that they are responsible to no one-- not even their innumerable stockholders who have no real voice. When they get into government they remain loyal to their corporate roots at the expense of everyone else.

Our present economic situation is not the result of .... never mind. We have shot ourselves in the foot my taking our own economic fairy tales to heart.

Wal-Mart put my local hardware store out of business. I used to be able to go to the hardware store with a broken "widget", the guy would rummage around for 15 minutes in some boxes in the back (on wooden floors), and come back with exactly what I needed, and charge me only 15 cents for what I needed.

I miss that.

I try to support local stores whenever possible, but admit that when I'm in the larger town next to mine where the Wal-Mart is, I do shop there sometimes.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Walmart has become a necessary evil.

.....and could you open just one more check out lane please?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I have to say I have mixed feelings about WM too. The argument is still ongoing as to what effect they have on local economies: create jobs(but only part time w/ low pay), provide low cost items (produced at low quality in other countries), blackball suppliers if they won't give them the price they want, and possibly put local businesses out of business.

They are cheap, but I try to only go there when noone else has what I need (ammo in stock)
    Walk softly ...

Years ago I was working on a Walmart being built right next to a Lowes that was also under construction.I needed a tool and went to the mom n pop hardware store across the street,the shelves were almost empty and the place was run down and tired looking. I found the needed tool and while at the register I asked the 70something owner "when these 2 stores open,are you going to fold up?"
    He grinned bigtime and said "Hell boy, I sold them that land,I'm fishin the rest of my days!"
    He had one employee,WW might hire 300
    They aint all bad...
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

WalMart is a lousy place to work. Both myself and my wife have done it. They are greedy, slave-driving SOBs. The only reason we worked for them is that starvation and bankruptcy were less appealing.

Gob bless WalMart. They may be the employer of last resort, but sometimes we need then very badly.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links