Recurring dream..

This is a discussion on Recurring dream.. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today, 35 years ago, 20Jan75, I ETS'd from the U.S. Army, FT. Bliss, Texas. For the last 25 years or so, I have had a ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Recurring dream..

  1. #1
    Member Array carry ok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    388

    Recurring dream..

    Today, 35 years ago, 20Jan75, I ETS'd from the U.S. Army, FT. Bliss, Texas.

    For the last 25 years or so, I have had a recurring dream at least probably two times each year. I dream that I have re-enlisted, and am in Basic with teens, and twenty somethings, and D.I.'s that were not born when I ETS'd.

    The dream is always routinely the same, with minor differences. I always am at some point running to the firing ranges, and about to die from lack of oxygen. I even am firing my M16 most times.

    An odd thing is when I have this dream, it is always the one which I awaken from.

    Just curious if any one else has a similar experience. This is the only recurring dream I remember ever having.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    So...you remember all of the dream until you wake up? Next time, try and go back to sleep and your dream and finish it like it was meant to be. You finish the dream, and it won't reoccur. In this instance, you could probably make your own ending. Good luck.

  4. #3
    Member Array carry ok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    388
    Ha! Ha!. I would like that gift, to be able to accomplish that. Some dreams I would love to have a 'conclusion' to!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,355
    No kidding...especially the good ones.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array rhinokrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    1,036
    I have a reoccurring dream.

    I'm running away from men in suits, Through malls, multilevel parking lots, city streets, mountains, and desert. Sometimes the men are bad guys (mostly) sometimes they are good, but they are nonstop. Kind of reminds me of a '70's action movie. I normally wake up after reaching a high barrier mostly edge of multilevel building or cliff. I've had this one for 20+ years
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array Patti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Show Me State
    Posts
    2,642
    My recurring dream:

    I'm fishing out of a muddle puddle. Everybody stops, looks at me and they say "give it up, you're never gonna catch anything out of a mud puddle".

    And then: I catch the biggest fish ever!!!

    My interpretation: I think this dream means I'm going to win the lottery some day.
    Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy. Winston Churchill

  8. #7
    Member Array carry ok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    388
    Interpretation of the dream, now there is fodder for an entirely new thread!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    Interpretation of the dream, now there is fodder for an entirely new thread!
    The doctor is in.

    The dream means you have a sleep disorder and your brain is forgetting to breathe automatically while you are asleep. Your body is experiencing the symptoms of you holding your breath, and your subconscious can only interpret those symptoms in terms that it is familiar with, i.e. running 'til your lungs are on fire in boot camp, firing weapon (fighting for your life). Your brain always wakes you from this dream so that you don't die in your sleep from lack of oxygen.

    Scary, huh? That'll be 5 cents, please.

  10. #9
    Member Array carry ok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    388

    Sorry, I was 'outta town.....

    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    The doctor is in.

    The dream means you have a sleep disorder and your brain is forgetting to breathe automatically while you are asleep. Your body is experiencing the symptoms of you holding your breath, and your subconscious can only interpret those symptoms in terms that it is familiar with, i.e. running 'til your lungs are on fire in boot camp, firing weapon (fighting for your life). Your brain always wakes you from this dream so that you don't die in your sleep from lack of oxygen.

    Scary, huh? That'll be 5 cents, please.
    but,back now. That, Stan, is one heckova diagnosis! That is worth fifteen cents for sure, that's for 'dang sure!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    1,114
    I am hoping other people chime in with their humorous interpretations.

  12. #11
    Member Array Impetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    44
    Sounds to me like part of you still wants to be in the Army, but that other part of you- the part that would run at of oxygen while on the run to the firing range is telling you that this is probably a poor idea. My dad has dreams that he's back in the Army all the time, but he always finds himself in a situation that he is just to old for. It sounds similar to me.

  13. #12
    Member Array wkientz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Around the corner from you.
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    Ha! Ha!. I would like that gift, to be able to accomplish that. Some dreams I would love to have a 'conclusion' to!
    Ram Rod couldn't have said it as simple as that -- go back to sleep with that dream in your mind, then finish it off like how you wanted to. IT IS ACHIEVABLE.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

  14. #13
    Member Array carry ok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    388

    Interesting that........

    Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    Sounds to me like part of you still wants to be in the Army, but that other part of you- the part that would run at of oxygen while on the run to the firing range is telling you that this is probably a poor idea. My dad has dreams that he's back in the Army all the time, but he always finds himself in a situation that he is just to old for. It sounds similar to me.
    someone else has the experience. Impossible idea, at year 56!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

  15. #14
    Member Array carry ok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by wkientz1 View Post
    Ram Rod couldn't have said it as simple as that -- go back to sleep with that dream in your mind, then finish it off like how you wanted to. IT IS ACHIEVABLE.
    Well, it is worth a try!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Another gun dream
    By cammo in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 15th, 2011, 01:49 PM
  2. I have a dream
    By cinsc in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: April 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
  3. A man can dream can't he?...
    By Siafu in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: June 26th, 2009, 01:50 PM
  4. Your Dream Gun?
    By Sig229 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: June 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM
  5. If you could have only one (Bad dream)
    By Jay in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: October 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM