Need help; roommate issues

This is a discussion on Need help; roommate issues within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Alright, I'm having a few issues here and need some advice. I currently live in a condo where the mortgage is held by my parents ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help; roommate issues

Alright, I'm having a few issues here and need some advice.

I currently live in a condo where the mortgage is held by my parents (I don't have a full time job that would assure the bank I could pay it, therefore it stays with my parents). A few months ago we rented out one room to a friend of a friend. There is a common area leading outside that is shared with the condo next to us. I used it to store my bicycles and long boards, as well as a neighbors.

Now, he brought car parts into the common area and refuses to move them. There's a muffler, as well a AC compressor, and spoilers for a car he no longer owns. He sees no difference between the car parts and my bicycles. Telling him I could ride my bicycle away and he could not do the same for his muffler did nothing but net a spaced out look as he couldn't comprehend it.

Now, his girlfriend is here. She left recently and came back, but before that was here all day every day for 2/5 weeks. Now she has been here for 3 days now and to be frank, shes ******* me off. The lease he signed specifically states that there are no guests allowed without written consent (and by virginia definition, I believe she qualifies as a resident at this point in my house).

Now, I'm in a pickle here. I can tell him to clean up his act and, if all else fails, tell my rents about everything and get him kicked out as they, no myself, are the acting landlords. He participates in some.... illicit activity and that would be a no brainer easy way to get him out. Only problem is, until he moves out, I don't know what he is liable to do, especially since he has an SKS and 700 rounds of ammo in his room. He gets drunk frequently, and while I don't believe he would do something stupid, I've never pushed or seen him pushed far enough to see. He refuses to take it home because I have my concealed carry handgun in the house, although mine is either on me or in my gunsafe; not just sitting in my closet next to clips and ammo. He sees no difference between a firearm I use daily by carrying, and something that is basically dead weight and never used. The only other thing I can think of is waiting until he is doing those illicit things and calling the police on my own house.

What would be the best way to go about this? I'd appreciate any help possible, especially considering the length of what equates to me bitching about my roommate.
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

Distinguished Member
    You say "the lease he signed". I'd take a real good look at that to ensure that you are covering your side of the contract.

Bottom line is that it sounds like he has to go. Could you suddenly have a girlfriend who you want to live-in? Or some other little white lie. With a hot head, drinking, and big guns, I would take the safest route out of this and be done with it.

That's my 2 cents anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    You say "the lease he signed". I'd take a real good look at that to ensure that you are covering your side of the contract.

Bottom line is that it sounds like he has to go. Could you suddenly have a girlfriend who you want to live-in? Or some other little white lie. With a hot head, drinking, and big guns, I would take the safest route out of this and be done with it.

That's my 2 cents anyways.
    I know the lease, and it's being fullfilled; I've been checking to be sure so if it comes down to it I have a full understanding and can leave as little room for argument on his side as possible.

I didn't leave anything out; it's just gotten to the point where thinks we are buddies and therefore he takes what I say lightly instead of treating me saying "Get your car parts out of there" as me relaying a message from the home owner. We're friends, but this is my house and investment (be it in my parents name) and is worth a lot more than a mediocre friend who pays rent. He thinks he can basically do whatever he wants, and I need to either get it into his head he can't, or get rid of him. My worry is the gun and what he will do before the 30 days required for eviction are up.

Funny thing though, the lease he signed does not include internet, but he uses it. The first step will probably be cutting that off, as he has no idea it's not included.... he didn't read the lease fully when he signed it.
    Password:
    Unpacking...

Have your parents give notice due to a "good deal" they couldn't resist and they need the apartment cleared up in order to sell it. That should do it if the lease only states a 30 day notice, otherwise just offer him a couple hundred bucks to break the lease. Box up your stuff and make it look like you are moving too.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Have your parents give notice due to a "good deal" they couldn't resist and they need the apartment cleared up in order to sell it. That should do it if the lease only states a 30 day notice, otherwise just offer him a couple hundred bucks to break the lease. Box up your stuff and make it look like you are moving too.
    Not the lease, virginia law. Can't tell someone to GTFO in under 30 days or notice.
    Password:
    Unpacking...

NO! Be honest, ask for a meeting to sit with him at his convenience. Sit down with him and tell him your concerns and listen to his like you care, but be assertive. Explain to him clearly how he is breaking the lease and explain to him clearly his options.

If you want his stuff moved out of the common area but have nothing in the lease saying he can't have stuff in the common area then your stuff needs to go too and the lease needs to be amended. You can also offer him an increased rental fee to accommodate his girlfriend being there and come out better for yourself but if so I suspect you'd want to meet with him and his girlfriend.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I would document the frequency of the GF visits...give it to your parents. If you believe he is participating in illicit activity and has a firearm...YOU could also get wrapped up in his garbage. All he needs to say is you're a part of it and it's his word against yours. I would have your landlord consult with an attorney to get him evicted (based on his inability to live according to the contract IRT visitors).

Also, is he a felon? Has there been a background check done on him?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    If you participate in the illicit activities, you have very little to stand on.

If you don't, tell him that you can't afford to put your future and your/parents' investment at risk. He's got to either stop the illicit activity or find another place to live. If there's a clause in the lease about this, so much the better. But if you want to keep your concealed license, don't you want to keep your record clean? What's to stop him from saying the bad stuff is yours, or that you sold it to him, etc.?

+1 on the frank discussion, too. You might even print it out for him, and tell him that it's his choice: keep the terms of the lease, or move.

If you want to be really nice about it, go with the 'lease buyout' idea. If you take the blow financially, you gain the higher ground so far as "who's the bad guy" - and you could pitch it by saying, "I know that most places require first and last month's rent up front: I'll hold this month's payment aside - to make your move easier, when you find a place I'll cut them a check for that amount and you'll be ahead by a month's rent and won't need to cough up the extra." Sure it will hurt to lose the dough, but it might be a wise investment.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    There is no easy solution with someone who apparently doesn't much care what effect his behavior is having on you or the risk he is placing you at with his illicit activities.

You and parents should consult an attorney, and probably with his assistance, notify the police of your concerns about the illicit activity and the gun. That way you cover yourself from false accusations against you, and you have documented the situation.

I assume there is nothing in the lease that prohibits the gun, but it clearly is making you nervous about serving him an eviction notice or otherwise dealing with his bad behavior, so somehow that is going to have to be dealt with. Your spidey sense has to be listened to on this one.

First step, let your parents know what is going on. Second step, get legal guidance. Third step, let the authorities know of your concerns. Fourth step--whatever the authorities and your attorney tell you and your parents to do.

If you are real lucky there's a warrant for him somewhere, and you can get him out of there pretty quick.

Distinguished Member
    You already know what to do. Have a talk with him about getting his act together and the girlfriend has to go. If he doesn't want to comply, tell him he has 30 days to find a new place. I would not worry about the gun, he has a girlfriend and a job so it doesn't sound like he is crazy or desperate. If he doesn't leave in 30 days get the justice system involved, that could be a slow process though.

I had 2 roommates when I was starting out and needed the extra money. The first one was trash, I had to evict him. I did it in one day but I will not say how I did it on a public forum. He owed me so much money that he didn't do anything about the way he was evicted and I was glad that he was gone so I didn't pursue the money.

The second roommate was great. I hated seeing him leave, but I am glad that I didn't need to have another roommate, privacy is great also.

the next time he takes part in "illicit"activities, leave, and see to it the police get an anonymous tip about a crazy, drugged out maniac with an assault rifle. they love those calls.

Take the firing pin out of the SKS.

VIP Member
    Wow, where to start. First, you should not have told him about your ccw. Never, ever share that info. Don't mean to sound critical, but that should have been a no brainer.

Now, with respect to the illicit acitivities. Clearly, you are speaking of illegal drug use, so lets call it what it is. The fact that it is in "his" room, and not yours does not matter one bit. It is on "the property" on which you are also living. Any legal/law enforcement action would also subject your areas to search, as well as you to possible investigation depending on the level and nature of the drug usage.

First and only thing to do is turn the matter over to your parents. Don't get involved in this, stay distant, and let the "landlords" deal with the issue. You as a renter, have no re-course against another renter.

As for your parents, I think a property inspection is due, as well as meeting with a qualified lawyer to discuss the issue and next steps. As I mentioned before, don't involve yourself in this mess, no good will come of that.

Don't have roommates!
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

What laws are his SKS and ammo breaking? What difference is there between your personal property and his stored in the common area? By allowing the G/F to break the lease for this long, you may have blown your chance with that excuse. And the biggie...his illegal affairs. They are known to you, you allow them in your place so far...you don't have "clean hands". Heaven forbid you ever partook of those illegal actions, you have become a co-conspirator. I'd say you're screwed. I'd try to talk things out and work the problems away, or pay him off and get him to leave peacefully.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links