Fountain Pens

This is a discussion on Fountain Pens within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just recently acquired my first real fountain pen. Its a Lamy Safari. I'm already loving it more then ballpoint or rollerball pens. I saw ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fountain Pens

Fountain Pens

I just recently acquired my first real fountain pen. Its a Lamy Safari. I'm already loving it more then ballpoint or rollerball pens.

I saw some Montblanc and Montegrappa fountain pens that were very nice looking but I don't have that kind of money. Some of the pens were equal with what a new Glock would cost if not higher.

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    That's a nice pen. I like them too, and have had a couple nice ones. Someday I'll get another.

Writing is a lost art. Having a nice tool to engage the art makes it feel very personal.

Enjoy!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Fountain pens are great pens, used to do "temporary" tattoo's in school with them, because the style and how much ink it used was great. Found a place that has a few locally for a buck. great pens :D

started searching and found this site

http://www.pianki.com/Expensive-Pens_c_365.html

$1,000 - $35,000 first page only.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Romans623 View Post
    I just recently acquired my first real fountain pen. Its a Lamy Safari. I'm already loving it more then ballpoint or rollerball pens.

I saw some Montblanc and Montegrappa fountain pens that were very nice looking but I don't have that kind of money. Some of the pens were equal with what a new Glock would cost if not higher.

Why don't you write your next post with it so we can see? Nice pen!

Fountain pens are great! I discovered them a few years ago, and now I have a small collection of half a dozen or so. None of them are particularly fancy, but I have my eye on some fancier ones.

If you're interested in some more pens for your collection, have a look at Levenger's web site. They have quite a few pens. Some are rather expensive, but many aren't too bad.

Brian

I have never used one before. I have been interested in one but just never got around to getting one and learning how to use it. Is it hard to write with? I heard you cant push up with them, does that make it difficult to use?

My wife collects pens and other writing implements. She even has glass pens. Yes, it's expensive.

I have never used one before. I have been interested in one but just never got around to getting one and learning how to use it. Is it hard to write with? I heard you cant push up with them, does that make it difficult to use?
    Writing with a fountain pen is not that difficult. You do have to learn to moderate your tip pressure but direction of movement is the same as for ball-points or pencils.

I have a Namiki Vanishing Point, a retractable fountain pen and love it. Also look at Rotring, they make fine pens at a very reasonable cost. Also if you can catch them, many Officemax stores have Waterman Phileas fountains at clearance for ~$25.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

I've always liked them... they started going out of style when I was young, but 1/2 the men still carried them. I collected several at shops, pawn shops, and flea markets that you can't find now. They are about all the type you 'fill' with ink with little lever that sucks up the ink into the ink bladder.

They write great.

Do not allow anyone to borrow your fountain pens. The nib will conform to your writing style through wear and use, and allowing it to be borrowed will potentially ruin the "set" of the nib. Of course, this is "old" school stuff, I would presume it still applies even to today's newfangled materials.

I picked mine up at a store called Pen Place at Crown Center in Kansas City. As with anything nowadays there's a forum for it. Fountainpennetwork is a pretty resourceful place such as this forum.

There are a few online deals with great prices but it's always nice to be able to get a feel for a product before spending the money.

I told my wife I would eventually like to try calligraphy. Since I'm not the greatest at drawing I thought I might be able to learn how to at least write beautifully.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

When I was in school (up until the 6th grade) all we could use were fountain pens. Being a lefty made it a little more difficult since smearing wet ink was easy to do. Many a shirt pocket was ruined from a leak or pen failure...LOL

Banks used to have stacks of blotters on the counter next to each teller as give aways and most desk tops were made out of blotter material so you could turn your page over and prevent your ink from smearing... That's why office workers used to wear garters on their shirt cuffs.

Still have one or two but never use them.

bosco

I use a MONT BLANC for all of my personal letter writing.

When I was in school, we had to take a Palmer Penmanship test. Anybody else? How about inkwells in the desks?

It was a simpler time

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Martini13 View Post
    How about inkwells in the desks?

It was a simpler time
    When I was growing up in NYC in the 50's and early 60's the desks in my grade school still had the glass inserts for the ink wells. But I never saw any ink in them. We did use fountain pens, and until they specified blue, blue/black, or blank ink I used to use green ink to annoy the teachers!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I 'spose you could always stab someone with it..... :)

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links