Chris and other Reloaders

This is a discussion on Chris and other Reloaders within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone ever used h-4227 and h-110 side by side or switched i said as soon as i sued up my h-110 i would look for ...

Thread: Chris and other Reloaders

Chris and other Reloaders

Anyone ever used h-4227 and h-110 side by side or switched
    i said as soon as i sued up my h-110 i would look for a different powder preferably Stick well this is what im thinking for the big booms

Whats your experience

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    The burning rate of the two Hodgdons that you mentioned are too far apart to switch one to the other without some "problems". You could go to W296 from H110.

I use H4227 for my wifes .32H&R Mag.with the 115gr. hardcast hunting load. But I use the "stuffed full" doses of H110 for my Casull(all bullets in pistol, and 16" carbine).Also all bullets for my several different .44 Mags(both carbines and pistols).

Some of the "newer" Hodgdon's I hear,will give you more(a tiny bit) velocity outta some of the larger bore mags.,but to me the H110 will do anything that I want it to do(and I have 16 pounds of it). And that's working right up to the max SAAMI specs which is SOP for my reloads. -------
    Last edited by RSSZ; May 14th, 2006 at 02:41 PM.

i know it wont switch and be speed for speed im not worried about that i want constancy especially with burning all the powder.

which h-110 hasn't been offering seems im not the only one having this problem with the big bores and h-110

Also it seems to leak out of powder measures something awful even my hornady gets under the orings and tears them

no point changing to 296 basically same thing and still a ball powder

Assistant Administrator
    True Bud - metering leak is a PITA and I shall not buy more H-110.

Despite cost I cannot recommend enough the VV N-110 - good flow characteristics, no leakage (small rod/tube pieces and not fine particles) - very clean burn too. My ideal slower powder for mag.

Leaving that aside, then 296 which is yes another rather ball type powder tho I fancy not as fine as H-110. Don't use it.

I will still tho be happy to move back to good ol' 2400 - always have some and newer type 2400 seems much less prone to unburned particles than old - nice for metering and good bulking. I think that will be replacement for my N-110 when finished but, still have about 6 lbs of that left, if not more.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Im using 4227 for my suppressed .300 Whisper. After much experimentation,its the only powder that is slow enough to cycle the AR action using the standard location of the gas hole in the barrel.

THe H110 shoots good, but will not cycle the gas action. No sense having a single shot rifle with a 30 round mag in it...

4227 is best utilized for the longer barrels that have the lengtht to use the slow burn of the powder, whereas H110 is much quicker.

IRRC, H110 and W296 have pretty much the same burn charachteristics.

haven't seen n110 i know who makes it but cant spell it

alliant seems to be dropping the ball they don't have any loads for 454 500 or 460 so cant use 2400 maybe the powder isn't slow enough because the lyman manual doesn't list it for the 454 or 500 but there section is pretty dang thin on big boomers

Assistant Administrator
    Well in fact IIRC 2400 is classed as a fast rifle powder but yeah - data is rather limited for big stuff. Just checked in Alliant PDF file i have and very poor entries for what we want - tho I do think I could work up some loads using it.

VihtaVuori N-110 tho pricey is still my top choice but I have not yet established whether it will suit all our top size cannons.

I have had the file a while so seems no S&W 500 loads but there are a few .454 loads listed. I'll attach the file for you Bud - go look down in handgun loads section.

Oh darn it - it's too big. PM me your email addy and I'll send it - if you want it that is.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links