I need some legal help - Page 2

I need some legal help

This is a discussion on I need some legal help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; To the current address idea... Sometimes certain government documents are not allowed to be forwarded. So maybe the notice that you owed $800 was forwarded ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some legal help

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    To the current address idea... Sometimes certain government documents are not allowed to be forwarded. So maybe the notice that you owed $800 was forwarded by the post office and the notice of court date was required to be sent to the address on file at the DMV. If that's the case, I think you are outta luck. Shoulda changed your address sooner at the DMV.

This happens all the time with jury summons and warrants are issued.

I'm glad my kids going to law school,If I ever need a litigator It won't cost me too much,I hope
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm glad my kids going to law school,If I ever need a litigator It won't cost me too much,I hope
    Last thing they told me in law school . . .

NEVER "give away" your legal advice. Not even to family. You can discount the hell out of it but NEVER GIVE IT AWAY. What they pay for they will value. What they get for free they will demand as their right and due.

Works for me. Betcha it'll be the same for your offspring too so don't count on that "free" legal advice thingy.

Thumbs down A Battle to Lose

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    You need to be talking to a lawyer. NOT a "tax advisor" or "tax attorney." A litigator.

IF you now have a lien on your property, and weren't given notice of the "hearing" then you've been denied "due process." Due process requires that you have notice and be given the chance to present your side of the story. IF they knew of your change of address then the notice that they sent was defective and the "judgment" can be removed pending a rehearing.

IF you can prove that you don't owe the money & that they were aware of this proof, you might be able to be reimbursed for the costs of defense.

A litigation attorney would know and could advise you. Otherwise you need to speak to someone about taking this on pro-bono.

As a last resort, you can represent yourself. This is difficult and I don't recommend it but it can be done. You might even be successful.

Baloney baloney baloney.

It may not take a litigator. Any qualified CPA or tax attorney may be able to handle this if you want to pay the professional fees.

That is a big if!

The real problem is this is a nickle - dime deal. I am not trying to be mean, demeaning or insensitive, it's just a fact. I'll do the math for you real fast:

Attorney or CPA Hourly Rate, say $250 per hour, which is probably low for a qualified advisor (and it is certainly low for a decent litigator)..........at $250 per hour, that means you only get a 4 hours of professional time total to resolve this matter. That just won't happen. It takes time to get the Power of Attorney, ascertain the facts, document same, draft the correspondence, finalize same, send it to authorities, discuss the merits and facts with said authority, etc etc etc. That is assuming the original amount is not disputed...if it is, then double or triple the time requirement......

Best case, it'll take 6-10 hours top to bottom.......even at $100-$125 hiring a professional just doesn't make sense.

If I were you, I'd get a final bill and resolution from the authority and just write the check they agree to, keep copies of it all (forever). Make sure the final settlement includes the Lien release.

Doesn't feel very fair, but you ain't gonna win the battle. Sorry.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member

???Re: R&G

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

Baloney baloney baloney.

It may not take a litigator. Any qualified CPA or tax attorney may be able to handle this if you want to pay the professional fees.
    Tax attorney, yes. If it involves litigation he can find you a litigator or refer you to one if he doesn't do litigation.

CPA, I'm not so sure. This really is no longer just an accounting issue, or a Maryland income tax code issue. The filing of liens in PA (presumably after some sort of default judgment in Maryland) seems to take the situation into the legal arena.

I do agree that he won't find professional help that is affordable and makes economic sense for this "small" amount of money. The thing is, he may not be able to get it straightened out on his own even if he pays them off. These things, especially with liens, can get a life of their own. That is why I suggested visiting a law school legal clinic.

Oh, there may also be "issues" revolving around any agreements between PA and Maryland on helping each other collect for the other neighbor.

It is quite unfortunate that there are few good avenues for ordinary folk to get issues like this one resolved within the judicial system. They are too small for real lawyers and real courts, and too complicated for small claims.

FWIW, I once needed to sue someone for 25 K and couldn't find an attorney who was willing to take a case of that nature on a claim less than 100 K. It wasn't that they thought my claim was unmeritorious, just that they couldn't make a living pursuing it, and it was likely going to cost me more than the 25 K to win on my own dime. I was out of luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links