Portland Oregon info?

Portland Oregon info?

This is a discussion on Portland Oregon info? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Awhile back I asked about the Redmond WA area because I'm interviewing with a company that has a business unit there. Well....All is going well, ...

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar

Portland Oregon info?

Awhile back I asked about the Redmond WA area because I'm interviewing with a company that has a business unit there.

Well....All is going well, and now Portland Oregon Area (Hillsboro) is also in play with the same company.

I have what I hope are final interviews tomorrow. Then if all goes well I'll need to make a decision.

Anybody have any thoughts on Portland?

Thanks in advance!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

pax
    Given a choice between those two possibilities ... hmmm.

Redmond has a much more conservative political climate and a much drier & more extreme physical climate. Hotter in the summer, colder in the winter. High desert, not much rain, but what falls in winter tends to be frozen rather than liquid.

Portland has a much more diverse population, much more night life, and a moderate wet maritime climate. It's going to have a low, grey ceiling overhead for 9 months out of the year, with a constant low level drizzle that the natives don't seem to mind but that sometimes gets under the skin of newcomers. Snows occasionally, but mostly what comes out of the sky year round is liquid rather than solid. Expect an occasional bout of freezing rain too.

Either way, you'll be driving distance to skiing at Mt. Hood, but Redmond is closer to Mt. Bachelor which is some of the finest snowskiing in the state.

Portland is closer to the beach, but if you're thinking southern-type beaches, forget it. Northern beaches are great for walking on while bundled up, and for kite flying. Not so great for swimming or sunbathing (though if you're a surfer, a full body wetsuit and a little fortitude make it possible).

Portland is one of the most liberal cities in Oregon, and the surrounding region equally so. Depending on where the company is located, you might be able to purchase a home over the river in Washington, thus avoiding Oregon's high property taxes while taking advantage of their non-existent sales tax.

Traffic is equally annoying in both places. Portland is simply overloaded, plus they have multiple choke points due to terrain (rivers split the city, plus there's a mountain pass dividing the western suburbs). Redmond has grown so rapidly that the infrastructure in terms of freeway space hasn't really kept up that well, but it's a lower population base and much quicker to get out of town.

Good shopping in both cities, but if you choose Redmond you'll probably find yourself making the trek to Portland every six months or so for something you just can't find in central Oregon (that depends, of course, on whatever-it-is that you find essential -- and central Oregon is booming so that won't last forever).

Oh, Oregon in general has decent gun laws. The state group to join is the Oregon Firearms Federation, Oregon Firearms Federation

My in-laws live in Bend, and we have good friends in Portland. We lived in Portland for a few years, but that was 25 years ago & things have changed. Either way, I predict you'll find things to hate and things to love about either location.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Wow. Thanks Pax!
    I think aside from liberal politics I'd enjoy either. In WA, I'd probably live outside Redmond, as it seems more expensive there, than in other nearby communities.

The beaches sound just right either way, along with all the outdoor activities. It looks like motorcycling is great either place!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Time out folks!

Pax, he's referring to Redmond Washington. Not Redmond Oregon.

Arko, ignore pax's remarks about Redmond Oregon. I think we gave you all you need about Redmond Washington in the other thread.

There's just too many cities around here with the same names.

pax
    Dang... sorry, Arko.

*blush*

Should have read more carefully, or asked questions. Please accept my apologies for the confusion.

*kicks self, wanders off*

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Ok, that explains why part of the comments didn't make sense to me! Thought I was just reading into it! Guess I should have asked.
    Nice catch AK! Thanks!
    And Pax...no worries. It felt like a Monday to me today!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Just my two cents.

I have lived in Portland for almost 30 years. Except for the liberal politics, I really like it here. You are within an hour or so of just about any type of outdoor activity, pretty mellow lifestyle, no sales tax (although the income and property taxes can take a bite), and the people are pretty darn nice. Decent gun laws and if you live in Washington County (Hillsboro) you have a darn great sheriff right now.

I lived in Seattle for a bit while I worked at Microsoft. Much prefer Portland.

Soooooooooo if you get a job, can you get me in????
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I grew up in Gresham(east Portland) and if you look, I also commented on Redmond. I would consider them to be fairly equivelant in most areas. You could easily live in a more rural area not to far from Hillsboro, making it so that a you would be near one of the two major cities in the NW while still living in a more rural setting.

Driving distance to most climates, about the same. Political leanings, about the same. Rain, about the same. Yuppies and coffe snobs, about the same. Gun rights, I would say lean a little to the WA side for being better. But the biggest difference is OR=Big Income Tax WA=Sales Tax. It was nice living in OR and actually being able to walk into the dollar store, hand the guy a dollar and buy something(not $1.09). That has been a pet peve of mine since I moved North.
    Walk softly ...

Thanks E.M.P!
    The outdoor potential is part of what really excites me, and the wife sees it as more metro than the small city we're in now.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I grew up in Gresham(east Portland) and if you look, I also commented on Redmond. I would consider them to be fairly equivelant in most areas. You could easily live in a more rural area not to far from Hillsboro, making it so that a you would be near one of the two major cities in the NW while still living in a more rural setting.

Driving distance to most climates, about the same. Political leanings, about the same. Rain, about the same. Yuppies and coffe snobs, about the same. Gun rights, I would say lean a little to the WA side for being better. But the biggest difference is OR=Big Income Tax WA=Sales Tax. It was nice living in OR and actually being able to walk into the dollar store, hand the guy a dollar and buy something(not $1.09). That has been a pet peve of mine since I moved North.
    Good to hear you say they're about equivalent. It kind of LOOKED that way ala the internet, and it would make a coin toss that much less agonizing if it can down to being MY choice.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Another thing to consider is the liberal political base just voted in a retro-active sales tax for all intents and purposes.. This is going to drive our cost of living up considerably as I am certain that no business is going to absorb the increase with out passing it on to the consumer.. I think it would be safe to say that you will see alot of smaller businesses moving across the river to Wa. where the climate is a little more business friendly... I lived in Portland and the Willamette valley for almost 15 years and the day I left for Colorado I swore I would never set foot back in this festering, soggy pool of Californicators... But here I am after having to choose between a job and entering the job search with the rest of the 1500 people my company let go when they shuttered our factory in Colorado Springs.

If it were my choice I'd stay the hell out of Oregon.. but ultimately it's yours to make...
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Arko...go to Washington if you are able..

Thanks guys. I AM leaning a bit more toward the WA location/position IF they offer and offer a choice.

That IS bad news about the new taxes in OR.

I'm pretty certain that I can be happy either place though, even amidst the hippy/libby politics. I did, after all grow up in NYS and STILL managed to become a conservative!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Thanks guys. I AM leaning a bit more toward the WA location/position IF they offer and offer a choice.

That IS bad news about the new taxes in OR.

I'm pretty certain that I can be happy either place though, even amidst the hippy/libby politics. I did, after all grow up in NYS and STILL managed to become a conservative!
    And from Washington, it's a just a short drive to beautiful British Columbia. If you do make a visit, two pieces of advice. Unlike the American Express commercial, DO leave home without it, unfortunately (you know what I'm talking about). Also, the Olympics start in Vancouver two weeks from today. The Lower Mainland area will be a zoo, as will border crossings.

Having said that, welcome, in advance, to the Pacific Northwest!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Links