Saved from the Green Monster

This is a discussion on Saved from the Green Monster within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just after I had gotten comfortable last night after dinner, the dog decides she needs to go out. We go downstairs and I let her ...

Just after I had gotten comfortable last night after dinner, the dog decides she needs to go out.
    We go downstairs and I let her out and she heads out into the back yard, when all of a sudden she points and the fur on her back goes vertical. She sniffs the air, but doesn't move. I grab the flashlight, kill the exterior lights and head out to see what she's upset about.
    I cast the light about but cannot see anything amiss at all.
    I figure she's picked up a raccoon or coyote nearby. The only thing I can see are the reflections of rabbit eyes under out blackberries. She's paying no attention to them.
    We go back inside and settle down again, but ten minutes later, she is all about going back outside and cannot get out there fast enough. She immediately stops, points, fur goes vertical again, and she begins growling and becoming agitated. Once again I kill the outside lights, and with light and gun in hand go out to see what has her so upset.
    I light up the next two yards over, but see nothing at all unusual, but the dog is beginning to bark now.
    My light lands on a dark green plastic bag hanging from a blackberry bramble. Just then a light wind stirred the bag... and I thought the dog was going to go through the fence after it!
    I let out a belly laugh - she was warning us about the big Green Monster hiding in the blackberries two yards over...
    I made sure to praise her for her vigilance and gave her a treat.
    Gotta love a dog!
    Last edited by RemMod597; January 29th, 2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Fixed fat-fingering issues.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Good Girl!
    When my first Malamute was about 6 months old I returned from running some errands to find evidence of a massacre in the driveway, blood everywhere on the ground and all over his face.
    A quick investigation yielded nothing obvious.
    "Show me boy" got him to lead me to the crime. Behind the garage between the lilac bush and the fence were the remains of what at, one time, had been a very large possum, shredded almost to the point of being unrecognizable.
    Guess who got some treats?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    lol! Nice story and sounds like a good watch dog.

When my miniature dachshunds were a bit younger, we thought they were growling at shadows at night. Turns out there was mice under the back shed. Took a few months, but they ended up killing a dozen of 'em. They worked as a team and took care of business. It was quite amusing to watch too.

I used to have a chihuahua in the house, he would sneak up and bite mice, take them and toss them outside to the cats (crazy dog) cats loved him.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

My daughters cat would catch mice and lick them to death. Never any sign of injury, the mice probably died of a heart attack.

lol, Thats funny. My uncles cat played with a mouse for an hour.

I was walking to talk to my uncle and he tells me simply

"look what the cats got"

so I look at see something small and gray, so I go to pick it up (like a dumba**) and see its a mouse. so I stand back up and ask is it dead?

no was the answer, we sat watching the cat for an hour.

Mouse would try and sneak off, cat would bite it and toss it and play catch. then would put it down and it would start all over again until the mouse bit the cat and got his head crushed with a loud "CRUNCH!"

intresting hour watching a cat.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Links