They offered me the job in Atlanta....now what?

This is a discussion on They offered me the job in Atlanta....now what? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I went to Atlanta, as soon as I got off the plane in Atlanta at 10am, I checked and my return flight to Memphis ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They offered me the job in Atlanta....now what?

They offered me the job in Atlanta....now what?

Well, I went to Atlanta, as soon as I got off the plane in Atlanta at 10am, I checked and my return flight to Memphis at 5:15pm that afternoon had already been canceled! First problem.

Took a cab to the station ($35.00!) and met with everyone and took a tour. What a great TV station! Very impressive. It was easily the nicest station I have ever set foot in. It is safe to say that I really liked the place.

They took me to lunch and we had a good time. I really got along with these guys well. Another good sign.

They put me up in a very nice Hotel (for those of you in Atlanta, it was a hotel named Twelve.)and I flew out the next morning. The drive home from the Memphis airport was not fun. Icy roads and wind. Yuck.

Anyway, they offered me the job. I was surprised that they did so right then before I was driven to the hotel. But they did. The only problem is that it is basically for the same amount of money that I made in 2009 in Memphis. And I know from all the research that I have done that the cost of living in Atlanta is a good bit higher. Not sure about the cost of living in the various suburbs though.

Other than that, I am a bit apprehensive about the traffic in Atlanta. Not sure I want to spend a couple of hours a day in bumper to bumper traffic commuting to and from work.

So that is where I am right now. Negotiating with them about the salary and thinking hard about traffic. If anyone from the Atlanta area can clue me in on the traffic, how bad it really is and all, I would really appreciate that.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Let me be the first to offer up a hearty Congratulations!

Don't know a darn thing about Hotlanta, but darn, I'm first. Congratulations again!

Well good deal!! If you can get it ironed out,, Neil Bortz is from atlanta,, Very Pro Gun!!

Unless you are currently unemployed and really need the job I would not move my family and myself for even money, especially to Atlanta. The traffic is as bad as they say so that is a major consideration. You did mention station so I would assume that the Atlanta market would be a step up in your career, another major consideration. If it were me I wouldn't move my family for anything less than a 10% increase plus moving expenses, but I still have a job so that leaves me with options. Good Luck in your decision, it is never easy.

I was told 10% by a mentor of sorts and stuck to my guns on that at my last career change and ended up getting it. Don't be afraid to ask for it. And congrats.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Congrats on earning the option. I have no idea about either city.

I assume that you work 5 days a week and 8 hours a day. 40 hours a week is more than most people spend with their loved ones, so working with people that you actually like might lead to a better quality of life (for you). Working with top shelf gear is always nice, too... especially if you enjoy your craft (engineer, right?).

But if you have to drive an hour each way, that turns into a 10+ hour day for the same pay as your 8 hour day now. Thats about a 20-25% loss in the time/money equation, depending on how you look at it. In other words, for the family time you might sacrifice commuting in Atlanta, you might as well keep your current job, take on a 10/hour a week part time job and come out ahead financially.

Sometimes it's not about the money, though.

Good luck!

I guess you could check the stats, but how's the crime? Around 1990, I was at my now ex's dad's in Atlanta, with about a dozen other folks, and every one of them had been burgled in their home. Many of them while they were there. Traffic was awful, and they had flying roaches the size of a TV remote, so I am not thrilled with the ATL. It would take alot of money, or be a huge stepping stone for me to move.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    With that deal, I'd have to stay in the WTN.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I don't live there Mike, but I've driven through that town enough to speak up about the traffic there.

It sucks. From 6am to 9am and from 3pm to 7pm, don't plan on getting anywhere in a hurry. I used to have a dedicated run from Russellville, KY to Forest Park, GA that required me to be there by 8am every morning. It was horrible on both I-75 and I-285 at that time. Holiday traffic? Even worse.

I did that run for around a year and a half in '05 and '06. Now don't get me wrong, there was plenty of days where I had no problems whatsoever, but they seemed rare compared to the days where there were problems at those times.

These days, I avoid Atlanta rush hour whenever possible. When I have to travel through the city now, it's almost always between 10pm and 4am if at all possible.

Another thing I'd ask about. In Tennessee, we don't have a state income tax, does Georgia have one? I've never considered living there, so I'm unsure.

For the same amount of money, I personally wouldn't make the move.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

In one report I found, in a list of the 15 most dangerous cities in the U.S., Memphis is #2 surpassed only by Detroit. Atlanta wasn't even on the list. That seems to give an edge to Atlanta.

I've driven through both cities. Memphis several times, Atlanta once. And that one time was enough. Not for me but I guess you can get used to anything.

I'm not sure from your post if you're currently employed or not. If you aren't, I'd be packing. If you are, it makes the decision a bit more complicated. If you've been at your present position for a relatively short time and like the Memphis area, I'd probably stay. However, if you've been at your current position for several years and just now (2009) made what they are offering as a starting pay, I'd be looking hard at moving as it would seem that there may be more room for salary advancement.

Good luck.
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

If it is a career move and you want upward mobility, then I might consider it. Think about bad traffic, tough schools for the kids, and extra ammo when you go shopping.
    I did a lot of moving for mobility in my job and it was worth it...but there is always a cost. If you're somewhat happy where you're at, I'd stay put until the economy comes back a bit. On the other hand, moving can be an 'adventure'...moved 25 times in 38 years.
    Regardless of what you decide, congrats on the successful interview...it's nice to know that you have the skills others want.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Mike, I haven't said anything till now because I don't know anything about Atlanta.
    It did just occur to me though that I never congratulated you on the successful interview either way. That alone is a great feat!

Good luck with your decision.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    GA Mike~ ATL Mike~ Doesn't have the cache of TN Mike. Seriously, the best thing about changing is the mental stimulation and new learning opportunities.

I remember interviewing people that had one year of experience twenty times over. Others that really had twenty years of experience. That is they had been in different jobs, had different challenges, and worked in different companies over a twenty year career. Both types bring something to the table, but I found those with varied career experience more successful with the situations I was trying to manage.

Just to clear up something, I am employed. Not in danger of losing the job I have as far as any of us know.

I am leaning towards turning the job down to be honest. Partly because of the traffic and partly because of the pay. But I am waiting on a reply about the pay. I have asked if the salary if firm or if there is any upward flexibility in it. We'll see.

I am doing research on the traffic now and so for, it doesn't look good.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I guess Georgia Mike will be the new callsign... : )
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links