Sled ride kaboom

This is a discussion on Sled ride kaboom within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; File this under: "It sounded like a good idea at the time..." Man hurt using explosives in backyard sledding stunt | freep.com | Detroit Free ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sled ride kaboom

Sled ride kaboom

File this under: "It sounded like a good idea at the time..."

Man hurt using explosives in backyard sledding stunt | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Posted: 1:45 p.m. Feb. 1, 2010
    Man hurt using explosives in backyard sledding stunt
    BY BILL LAITNER
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A 62-year-old Independence Township man hosting an outdoor winter party in his backyard was rushed to the hospital Sunday night after the explosive backpack he rigged to power him on a sled exploded, police said.

Deputies from the Oakland County Sheriff's Office responded to the 6000 block of Townview at 7:35 p.m. to aid the party host who had burns over 18% of his body, Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said.

“Apparently, he has this sledding party every year, and he always does outrageous things at it, but he’s never blown himself up before,” McCabe said today. Before the mishap, the man had been drinking, he said.

The man is thought to have constructed the backpack from a used automotive muffler, which he filled with gasoline and gunpowder, “trying to get a rocket-launch effect,” McCabe said.

“He asked another person to light a wick and then began to sled down a hill. At some point during the ride, the device exploded,” he said. The man suffered second-degree burns to his face and right side of his body, and possible eye injuries, according to a police memo. He was rushed to POH Medical Center in Pontiac where he was in stable condition today, McCabe said.

Police did not release the man’s name. No charges have been filed but police are considering whether to charge the man with possession of an explosive device, McCabe said. Officers confiscated the man’s orange plastic sled, a motorcycle helmet he wore during the incident and the muffler-launcher device as evidence, according the a memo from the Oakland County Sheriff's Office.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Definite Darwin Award candidate!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The man is thought to have constructed the backpack from a used automotive muffler, which he filled with gasoline and gunpowder, “trying to get a rocket-launch effect,” McCabe said.
    What?!

That doesn't even make sense.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

You have to die to become a candidate.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Wow.... And I figured it would be a 20-something, not a 62 year old.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

You can't fix STUPID ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

“Apparently, he has this sledding party every year, and he always does outrageous things at it, but he’s never blown himself up before,” McCabe said today. Before the mishap, the man had been drinking, he said.
    Alcohol gas and gunpowder apparently do not mix very well either,I guess his Nickname will now be Flambo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Yep......I'll second that.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Hey! Watch this.

(Hold my beer.)

Could this have been any more predictable?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Hey! Watch this.

(Hold my beer.)

Could this have been any more predictable?
    A lot of stupid actions are preceded by the phrase '' hold my beer and watch this''.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    There's got to be video of this somewhere...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    There's got to be video of this somewhere...
    Reminds me of the Richard Pryor routine after he set himself on fire doing cocaine...

He lit a match and ran around the stage with several unrepeatable comments...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I surely hope he hasn't bred...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I agree with this being really stupid, but if he gets charged for possession of an explosive device, that is wrong. He didn't intentionally build one. Do I get charged for making wine if some grape juice goes bad?
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I feel bad for laughing at the guy... I mean the effect was burning 18% of his body isn't funny but the cause.... lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links