Surprised myself yesterday

This is a discussion on Surprised myself yesterday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last night while I was out checking my property I was surprised as I moved between two out buildings to find myself cornered by two ...

Thread: Surprised myself yesterday

Surprised myself yesterday

Last night while I was out checking my property I was surprised as I moved between two out buildings to find myself cornered by two pit bulls. I was carrying my Glock 23 under my jacket. When I first saw the dogs I yelled at them to try to scare them away. I then remembered my Glock, but as I looked at the dogs I realized that the Glock was already in my hand. I don't even remember drawing it, but there it was . I guess all the time practicing is paying off. It is nice to know that the reflexes work even when I'm not thinking. The dogs ran off and I didn't have to shoot.

2. Remove Ads

As I have said before...'muscle memory'...don't leave home without it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm not so sure that having your gun in hand without realizing it is a good thing. Instinctive reaction is good IF you are cognizant of what you are doing.

By having it suddenly appear without knowing you drew it could lead to an AD with some deadly circumstances.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Talking

The thing is it worked as I practice. My trigger finger was laying against the take down lever on the frame of the gun. This is the way I was taught years ago. It only takes a fraction of a second to move from this position to bang if necessary.I have always trained to go to this point instead of to the trigger when the gun comes out of the holster. Never touch the trigger until ready to fire.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Smart dogs!!!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    We always default to our mental preparation. Good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by isme View Post
    ... find myself cornered by two pit bulls.
    Not sure what you mean by that. Backed into an enclosed space with no out, in which the attack is clearly imminent ... this is being cornered, to me. But, are you referring merely to position, or was there movement that backed you into a space you couldn't get out of, in what appeared clearly as pre-attack actions? Simply seeing dogs on the property isn't "being cornered." What I'm trying to understand is how you distinguished between this and the dogs merely being seen.

I don't even remember drawing it, but there it was . I guess all the time practicing is paying off.
    It can get dicey in a court room, if having to explain something you didn't even know happened. Safer, legally, to know full well and have retained your judgment and control of your actions throughout the situation, as opposed to admitting to even a brief period during which you didn't have full control and knowledge. Something to think through.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

One dog in front of me and when I looked back the second was coming up behind me. I had a building on each side. I was effectively cornered. I was on private property, six acres fenced. I don't own any outside dogs and I am unsure how they got there. Both dogs were acting aggressive at first.

Thumbs up

^ Well, with the two dogs acting in concert to really corner you, acting aggressively, the phrase "no holds barred" comes to mind. I wouldn't have any problems firing on such dogs in that situation, nor acquitting anyone charged for doing such a thing. A two-on-one situation with strong, aggressive dogs like that can get a person killed. No doubt.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If it had been a 9mm, we would be reading about two pit bulls passing gas!

Links