Anyone going to STURGIS

This is a discussion on Anyone going to STURGIS within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone going to STURGIS this year?? It's August 7th - 13th and is really fun. I went way back in 2000 and have missed it ...

Thread: Anyone going to STURGIS

Anyone going to STURGIS

Anyone going to STURGIS this year??

It's August 7th - 13th and is really fun. I went way back in 2000 and have missed it ever since. I would love to go now since im over 21 now.

However, do not bring your CCW.

Motorcycle Laws
    State Law SDCL Bond Amt (1997)
    Carrying Loaded or Uncased Gun #32-20-6.6 $75.00 Cyclists Overtaking in Same Ln #32-20-9.2 $75.00
    Eye Protection Required #32-20-4.1 $20.00
    Helmet Required (under age 18) #32-20-4 $50.00
    Illegal Handlebar Height #32-20-5 $20.00
    Operation W/O Motorcycle Endorse #32-20-2 $75.00

But have fun anyway, any motorcylist needs to go unless you drive a street bike then you will be frowned down upon. Just kidding, but you will be a minority, and for those hard care Harley and Indian fans, I hear they give hell to street bike riders.

2. Remove Ads

Been there, done that, not interested anymore. "No" I'm not old, it has just gotten out of hand and tooooooooooooooo many stupid people go these days that have little or no riding experance that have bought a bike either just to go or with in a few months of going to Sturgis.

It is a cool place to go and ride but for me at the time of year when the Sturgis "the event, ride, rally" is not.

Riding in SD/WY is some of the best riding ever though. It is just to big anymore to have as much fun as it use to be.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Cool What he said

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    Been there, done that, not interested anymore. "No" I'm not old, it has just gotten out of hand and tooooooooooooooo many stupid people go these days that have little or no riding experance that have bought a bike either just to go or with in a few months of going to Sturgis.

It is a cool place to go and ride but for me at the time of year when the Sturgis "the event, ride, rally" is not.

Riding in SD/WY is some of the best riding ever though. It is just to big anymore to have as much fun as it use to be.

Ti.
    +1!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I can't go this year (new house), but I hope to do it via a new Motto Guzzi in the near future.

We go every year, but we stay about an hour south of Sturgis and have only been in Sturgis itself three times, and all those were in the mornings when it wasn't too crowded. We're just not party people, but we love seeing all the bikes.
    We like the area around Custer Park and then also ride over into Wyoming a lot. And, we ride about half gravel roads in the hills, too. With such a huge crowd up at Sturgis, it's amazing how you see nobody on gravel. I have ridden Harleys on gravel for 20+ years, so kind of used to it.
    By the way, if South Dakota honors your CCW, then that restriction on carrying on a motorcycle no longer applies. Changed earlier this year.
    I absolutely love the Black Hills and would live there if I could.

VIP Member
    I wouldn't mind the experience...but I fear my 1983 Honda cruiser and I would be laughted out of the state along with the crotch rocket jockeys.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I need to grow a beer belly and grow some muscles and have West Coast or Orange County choppers build me a kick ace ride.

I'd wear black leather, lots of tatoos, and a tiny skull cap type helmet. Oh yeah i'd be riding a pink vespa scooter. With tassels on the handlebars. And a bike bell and horn so people can get out of the way of my roaring hog.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack
    I'd wear black leather, lots of tatoos, and a tiny skull cap type helmet. Oh yeah i'd be riding a pink vespa scooter. With tassels on the handlebars. And a bike bell and horn so people can get out of the way of my roaring hog.
    Be sure to post pictures afterward!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

As I understand it, Sturgis had a LOT to do with the state of SD's decision to recognize most if not all other states' permits. That rally brings in a LOT of money that is carried in the same pocket as a CCW permit.

Enjoy your trip! Our state's population doubles during the rally.

I have never been, but some day hope to go see what it is all about.

In 2002, a guy went with us - he had a Yamaha something or other. Nobody said a word. I've noticed that everybody's welcome, no matter what he or she is riding.
    I already have the tattoos, but it's going to take some looking to find a pink Vespa.....

Links