Survival/SHTF bag

This is a discussion on Survival/SHTF bag within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Alright I finally started making myself my very own survival kit that would support me for at least three days before I would have to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival/SHTF bag

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Survival/SHTF bag

Alright I finally started making myself my very own survival kit that would support me for at least three days before I would have to replenish or goods and services are restored should an emergency occur in my area. I hope to fit everything into a Kelty Redwing 2650 pack that I bought at Sportsmans Warehouse which I must say has lots of storage space and of course with all back packs they are still limited. I guess you could say this is my "run to the hills" kit too.

Anyway below is the list of the things I have in the pack and I would like some feedback on what things I should add. I already have a couple things in mind I will add in the near future but here is what I have now

Six Mountain House freeze dried meals (two meals a day for three days)

Three packs of beef jerky

Jet Boil PCS (Personal Cooking System)

First Aid trauma kit

Hunting Knife (Ka-bar knock off)

Two writing pens

All purpose blanket

Gerber Fast Draw folding knife

Eating utensils

Some things I would like to add are a way to start a fire and maybe some waterless hand sanitzer to keep my hands clean.

What are your thoughts?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Deck of cards to stave off boredom, steel wool, magnesium lighter, sewing kit, mirror, iodine tablets for drinking water, nalgine bottle or other water holding container, emergency flares, survival (shake it and it works) flashlight, socks, underwear, fishing tackle, ummm.... that should get you started. These are some of the things I can think off the top of my head that I have in my kit.

There might be dozens of threads on this.

I would suggest reading through a few of those.
    So much good information, and easy to get.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Administrator
    In addition to reading the tons of info already here, I'd suggest getting rid of knock off anything. A SHTF scenario would be a really bad time to discover your knife is a POC.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Good info on the responses so far. Here are a few of the threads already on this topic. And if you just google BOB or bug out bag, survival kit etc, you will find a lot more too.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hlight=bug+bag

Walk softly ...

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Replace the pens with wooden pencils, they never dry out and are far better at writing on non-uniform surfaces.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

string,line,rope?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    Seeing as though you're from Alaska, I'd sure want to include some cold weather gear in it.

Also a sleeping bag, even a light one is better than none.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Great start. +1 on the fire starter. Also, Pens beg for something on which to write. And will you be needing any spare mags/ammo?

Make sure you know how to use your firestarter. Frozen fingers and hypothermia make for a bad learning environment.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

some things to ponder

What type of 'S' you are avoiding. Nuclear holocaust? Financial break down of the Union? Psychopathic killer relative? Flood? Major power outage?

What is your plan? Hide in the woods? Scavenge for food/ supplies in an urban setting? Travel to family friends to hole up? Hole up in your house and fight off zombie scum?

What are your perceived threats? Thugs? Animals? Mutated humans? Trained military types?

What are acceptable losses? If you have your back, and you are in 1 piece X miles from home. Is it acceptable to loose everything else?

What's your plan for what happens next? Great, you survived X. Now what? Say it was a financial melt down.. do you have saved (digial or paper) of finacial records? If your primary residence is toast, do you still have contact info for family and friends to see how they are? Do you have contact info for insurance/ banking/ whomever to get your house rebuilt. If the house is destroyed by an earthquake and you survive the aftermath, can you get to cash reserves in the bank? What about important paper work that might be lost? Passport, birth cert, marriage license, etc. What's your plan for getting those?

Think small, KISS Not sure what your thoughts are, but I'd suggest focusing on the localized natural disasters than the nuclear attacks and the complete collapse of the world system. Assume life will go back to normal in a few weeks - month.. what happens then.

Do you have cash in your bag?

[edit: zombies, mutants, etc are added for humor.. I don't regard such things as viable threats - just good movies]

Why fire starters instead of packing a dozen or so disposable lighters?

... when nature calls, what are you going to wipe with?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaphah View Post
    ... when nature calls, what are you going to wipe with?
    Very realistic question. I keep TP in my bag.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Don't forget water. The rule of thumb is 1 gallon per person per day.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by tsaphah View Post
    What type of 'S' you are avoiding. Nuclear holocaust? Financial break down of the Union? Psychopathic killer relative? Flood? Major power outage?

What is your plan? Hide in the woods? Scavenge for food/ supplies in an urban setting? Travel to family friends to hole up? Hole up in your house and fight off zombie scum?

What are your perceived threats? Thugs? Animals? Mutated humans? Trained military types?

What are acceptable losses? If you have your back, and you are in 1 piece X miles from home. Is it acceptable to loose everything else?

What's your plan for what happens next? Great, you survived X. Now what? Say it was a financial melt down.. do you have saved (digial or paper) of finacial records? If your primary residence is toast, do you still have contact info for family and friends to see how they are? Do you have contact info for insurance/ banking/ whomever to get your house rebuilt. If the house is destroyed by an earthquake and you survive the aftermath, can you get to cash reserves in the bank? What about important paper work that might be lost? Passport, birth cert, marriage license, etc. What's your plan for getting those?

Think small, KISS Not sure what your thoughts are, but I'd suggest focusing on the localized natural disasters than the nuclear attacks and the complete collapse of the world system. Assume life will go back to normal in a few weeks - month.. what happens then.

Do you have cash in your bag?

[edit: zombies, mutants, etc are added for humor.. I don't regard such things as viable threats - just good movies]

WOW! I thought I was prepared with my bag, but I think I need to reevaluate it. I mean, I keep whatever I need incase of emergency like the end of the world and most other human beings are long gone. I would be prepared for a post apocalyptic world but not for a short term "financial melt down." If SHTF in that matter, I think I would be toast. I dont keep any cash either, figured that it would be useless in a post apocalyptic world.

Good insights everyone, keep the ideas coming! I am learning quite a bit from this thread already, mostly that I dont really have what I need! I can survive almost anywhere, but I dont think I could for every situation, and never thunk I would need TP either, another good one! Thank you for starting this post SubNine.

OOPS! Something I forgot to add to my list, probably the most important thing to have! A good qulaity multi-tool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links