Let's have some fun! Forum faux pas...bring em on... - Page 2

Let's have some fun! Forum faux pas...bring em on...

This is a discussion on Let's have some fun! Forum faux pas...bring em on... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As a poor speller, who doesn't proof read too well, and is often the victim of spell-checker road kill, I'll stay out of this thread, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    As a poor speller, who doesn't proof read too well, and is often the victim of spell-checker road kill, I'll stay out of this thread, sort of.

OTOH

"My Spell Checker Works Grate!

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea.
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write;
    It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid,
    It nose bee fore two long,
    And eye can put the error rite;
    Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it;
    I am shore your pleased two no.
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh;
    My chequer tolled me sew."

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    As a poor speller, who doesn't proof read too well, and is often the victim of spell-checker road kill, I'll stay out of this thread, sort of.

OTOH

It came with my pea sea.

Its rare lea ever wrong.

very nice!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    It's easy to look down on those who use poor grammar, but some folks just can't help it -- I try to look at what a person is trying to present rather than dismissing them immediately. And as a teacher, I can say that texting is ruining our children's grammar! Kids use "lol" and "omg" in reports, etc nowadays. Yeesh.
    OMG! You're absolutely right! LOL!!!!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Administrator
    Anytime a high point thread starts up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    My wife is a junior high history teacher, and says she gets things written in text fairly often. She also gives a zero score on the second "offense".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    9mm vs. .45 ACP

Should I carry with one in the chamber?

Is a 1911 okay for concealed carry?

Three recent ones that stick out.

The worst one for me is the ten billion line post with no paragraph breaks. My degree is in journalism, and it's rare for a news story to have a paragraph more than three sentences long, and many are only one sentence.

Applying that rule to posting would ease a lot of tired eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

OTOH

It came with my pea sea.

Its rare lea ever wrong.

I had to read out loud to get it. Sorry for all my poor spelling and lack of proof reading. I always butcher their with thier. Have a hard time proof reading my own writing.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member
    How can you say that a thread that generated over 2,000 posts in less than a week was a faux pas?

I got the message real quick about how people carried and why, and I learned a TON. And other viewers must have been thouroughly entertained watching a road wreck in progress.

So, entertainment, education, that's a winner!

Seriously though, I am an old timer on some other forums, and there are the same questions over and over there too. (how do I get my cookies to brown better on the bottom, what cookware is the best, what size dutch oven do I need, etc etc). I am surprised and pleased how civil things are here, and how many nice people are willing to give so much info to new people.

I am not very proficient with the search function here yet, but will certainly give that more effort to avoid reposting the obvious or unwanted.

and p.s. you guys are much better shooters than spellers. My cake baking ladies would kick your butts in a spelling bee but you would get payback on the range.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    "I only carry LTL loads in my edc"

You'll loose your tactical advantage if you OC.

IIRC and FWIW the list could go on. But IANAL so keep my .02 to myself. I'm a firm believer in the RTKABA so I OC and CC. You gotta be careful about GATTTOTP in NC though, not all the LEO's know the NCSC rulings about OC. But how can a G19 in a OWB Sherpa holster be GATTTOTP? Who are the sheep making the MWAG calls? lol, it's just crazy.

Wait, what did I say?

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    ...Maybe list the faux pas you see and then try you hand at it...ie- bad grammer, unrealistic carry gun, rediculous to write "killer" on the side, oh and did I mention grammar.
    How about spelling and punctuation: Maybe list the faux pas you see and then try you (your) hand at it...ie (i.e.,)- bad grammer (grammar), unrealistic carry gun, rediculous (ridiculous) to write "killer" on the side, oh and did I mention grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Seriously though, I am an old timer on some other forums, and there are the same questions over and over there too. (how do I get my cookies to brown better on the bottom, what cookware is the best, what size dutch oven do I need, etc etc). I am surprised and pleased how civil things are here, and how many nice people are willing to give so much info to new people.
    So, how do I get my cookies to brown better on the bottom? And, what the hell is a dutch oven?

JK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    GBK, these are serious topics as are 9mm vs 38 or chambering and holstering and carrying while drinking.

Airbake cookie sheets are notorious for not browning the bottom. Get a heavy weight darker cookie sheet. As for the dutch oven, a 5 1/2 qt Le Creuset enamel coated cast iron is probably the smallest you want to go for all around braising, chili making, etc (Key word: enamel coating vs bare cast iron - but there we go, that statement is very devisive ). Unless you are cooking for 4+ then you want nothing less than the 7 qt. As you go bigger they get heavier and that needs consideration (pot plus weight of contents).

Opps, did I just talk about cooking on a defensive carry forum? If you want tips on making a clear chicken stock or maximum peaks for meringue just pm me.

(I won't do this again)

my faux pas/ forum pet peeves.

1) Responding to a question that conveys to that person that they are stupid for asking such a thing.

2) Responding in a manner that would be rude, or impolite had it been done in person. It's rather funny/sad to me thinking how some of these threads would look had we all been in the same room having a conversation. Not only to us, but also to guests that are previewing the site to decide if they want to be part of the community.

For the tech crowd that might be around...
    I spent a huge amount of time in the world of Linux and forums in the mid-to-late 90s. There was a very elitist mindset about Linux then, and often when someone new to Linux would ask a basic question (that may have been answered before), the response would be RTFM (Read the F'ing Manual)... not exactly a welcoming feeling to a community.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    And, what the hell is a dutch oven?

JK
    Now are we talking about the modern-stove-so-called dutch ovens or the real thing with legs to support it w/o snuffing out the embers/coals under it and a concave top to hold hot embers/coals on top?

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links