Let's have some fun! Forum faux pas...bring em on...

This is a discussion on Let's have some fun! Forum faux pas...bring em on... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Zach and Holly It's easy to look down on those who use poor grammar, but some folks just can't help it ... ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's have some fun! Forum faux pas...bring em on...

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    It's easy to look down on those who use poor grammar, but some folks just can't help it ...

And as a teacher, I can say that texting is ruining our children's grammar! Kids use "lol" and "omg" in reports, etc nowadays. Yeesh.

IMO, there is a difference between making the correction and "looking down." It gets particularly important when the quality or meaning of the message is impacted. As with childrens' reports, there is a time and place where it is important to make the correction and point it out, even if the recipient will feel put upon in some fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by tsaphah View Post
    2) Responding in a manner that would be rude, or impolite had it been done in person.
    This is probably my biggest peeve. So many topics could result in excellent discussion, but for the potty-mouth direction it takes due in large part to the anonymity of the internet. Nicely, DC is far better than many places I have seen, though it's by no means immune.

There was a very elitist mindset about Linux then, and often when someone new to Linux would ask a basic question (that may have been answered before), the response would be RTFM (Read the F'ing Manual)... not exactly a welcoming feeling to a community.
    Absolutely. In those situations where I make a suggestion about a search, I try to actually provide a search example and result, showing the way down the path. Makes the same point, but it makes it gingerly and with a helping hand extended. Point being, there are ways to assist without completely dismissing someone for merely being new.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    GBK, these are serious topics as are 9mm vs 38 or chambering and holstering and carrying while drinking.

Airbake cookie sheets are notorious for not browning the bottom. Get a heavy weight darker cookie sheet. As for the dutch oven, a 5 1/2 qt Le Creuset enamel coated cast iron is probably the smallest you want to go for all around braising, chili making, etc (Key word: enamel coating vs bare cast iron - but there we go, that statement is very devisive ). Unless you are cooking for 4+ then you want nothing less than the 7 qt. As you go bigger they get heavier and that needs consideration (pot plus weight of contents).

Opps, did I just talk about cooking on a defensive carry forum? If you want tips on making a clear chicken stock or maximum peaks for meringue just pm me.

(I won't do this again)
    to funny!

Thanks for the smile. Cheers to you.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

RMS
    My pet peeve is the phrase, "I couldn't care less". So many say, "I could care less." If they could care less, then why don't they?

Talking The official language of The United States is....ENGLISH.

It's easy to look down on those who use poor grammar, but some folks just can't help it -- I try to look at what a person is trying to present rather than dismissing them immediately. And as a teacher, I can say that texting is ruining our children's grammar! Kids use "lol" and "omg" in reports, etc nowadays. Yeesh.
    I don't look down on people who use poor grammar or spell badly.
    I do look down on the educational system that taught them.
    I've always felt that if we expect new immigrants to learn English well,then we native born Americans should use it also.
    There have been a few posts that I literally could not understand due to their grammar.
    I try (not always successfully) to check my spelling,punctuation and grammar before I hit submit reply.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Mic
    It's easy to look down on those who use poor grammar, but some folks just can't help it -- I try to look at what a person is trying to present rather than dismissing them immediately. And as a teacher, I can say that texting is ruining our children's grammar! Kids use "lol" and "omg" in reports, etc nowadays. Yeesh.
    Soooo tru

I thinks most of ya don't understand that some folks type with a southern accent, good thing there ain't to many NYers that CC, could you imagine what that comment might look like
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    I try (not always successfully) to check my spelling,punctuation and grammar before I hit submit reply.
    I think everyone could benefit from reading their own post before submitting. I try to every time, and inevitably, when I forget, I have to go back and edit to correct something stupid.
    Walk softly ...

I hate it when someone can't convey their thoughts without swearing. In the recent weeks I have seen over a half a dozen posts with cuss words in them, fortunately the mods cleaned them up.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    GBK, these are serious topics as are 9mm vs 38 or chambering and holstering and carrying while drinking.

Airbake cookie sheets are notorious for not browning the bottom. Get a heavy weight darker cookie sheet. As for the dutch oven, a 5 1/2 qt Le Creuset enamel coated cast iron is probably the smallest you want to go for all around braising, chili making, etc (Key word: enamel coating vs bare cast iron - but there we go, that statement is very devisive ). Unless you are cooking for 4+ then you want nothing less than the 7 qt. As you go bigger they get heavier and that needs consideration (pot plus weight of contents).

Opps, did I just talk about cooking on a defensive carry forum? If you want tips on making a clear chicken stock or maximum peaks for meringue just pm me.

(I won't do this again)
    Maybe we can get a dedicated forum where you can give some cooking tips and other tips to help the culinary impaired. Seriously though it's nice to have a forum with a good mix and your expertise is welcome.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member

Thumbs down Higher education, too

And as a teacher, I can say that texting is ruining our children's grammar! Kids use "lol" and "omg" in reports, etc nowadays. Yeesh.
    It's not just a K-12 thing, either.

I know a college professor who says he couldn't pass anyone if he ignore the "texting-speak."

I asked, "Why not do it?".

He said he wasn't an english professor (or tenured). So, he'd get bad evaluations if he did.

So, I suggested he return the papers (not test, but homework type assignment) and have them corrected before assigning a grade.

I got the same answer.

IMHO, there is something rotten in the system -- the inmates are running the institution.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    WINNER! It doesn't get worse than that, we can close this one!
    Agreed, the only thing that comes close would be voting Republican!

Administrator
    How about posting that pesky USAToday poll that is several years old? That gets annoying,
    "Just blame Sixto"

How about people sending replies to a very long post and quoting the whole thing so they can add "+1".

As for the typing, any more my fingers are disobedient when I want to type "my" it may come out "me", "you're" comes out "you", etc. Not bad grammar, just jerky fingers. And I carry a gun? Yikes!!

I have more but what I really want is for people to post even if they do not have the best use of language or spelling. On other forums I frequent, people native to other countries write serious questions that may take a couple minutes to comprehend. They often apologize and a rush of replies tell them not to be concerned. If we don't understand we'll ask for clarification.

JD
    Administrator
    I hate it when people rant and rave about how much this forum sucks after getting warning about language, get snotty, get banned and try to sneak back in, talk smack about how the forum sucks, get banned, and then lay low for two months and try to sneak back in like nothing happened.

If you think the forum sucks, just stay gone.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    And, what the hell is a dutch oven?
    Well you see, that is an oven with the door on the bottom. it browns the bottom of cookies better.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links