Any Fine RARE Scotch Whiskey Appreciators Here?

This is a discussion on Any Fine RARE Scotch Whiskey Appreciators Here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Explorer's Whiskey Found Buried Near South Pole (Feb. 6) -- It's probably the most sought-after scotch in history – crates of whiskey buried in Antarctica ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Fine RARE Scotch Whiskey Appreciators Here?

Administrator

Question Any Fine RARE Scotch Whiskey Appreciators Here?

Explorer's Whiskey Found Buried Near South Pole

(Feb. 6) -- It's probably the most sought-after scotch in history – crates of whiskey buried in Antarctica by the famed explorer Ernest Shackleton a century ago.
    He abandoned them on a failed attempt to reach the South Pole in 1909, and they've been on ice – literally – ever since.

Researchers from New Zealand found the crates while restoring a hut Shackleton built and used during the expedition. He and his team were forced to cut short the trip and abandon supplies, including their booze, to sail away before winter ice trapped them there.

The New Zealand team first spotted two crates underneath the hut's floorboards in 2006, but they were too deeply embedded in ice to be salvaged. Researchers returned to the site this past week, and finally extracted the crates after drilling into the ice around them. The surprise was that there were three more crates than expected – one more of whiskey and two of brandy.

The second trip was backed by the same Scottish company that distilled Shackleton's whiskey, Mackinlay's Rare Old Scotch. It could be the longest booze run in history. The Whyte and Mackay distillery hopes to replicate the whiskey, which hasn't been made in a lifetime after the original recipe was lost.

"Given the original recipe no longer exists, this may open a door into history," the company's master blender, Richard Paterson, said in a release posted on the company's Web site. He called the find "a gift from the heavens" for whiskey lovers.

"If the contents can be confirmed, safely extracted and analyzed, the original blend may be able to be replicated," Paterson said.
    Experts will try to extract the historic brew delicately. Some of the crates have cracked and ice has formed inside. Icebergs surrounding the crates smelled of whiskey, and there may have been leakage, according to Al Fastier, a restoration expert with the New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust who made the find.

He told the BBC he heard the slosh of liquid inside the crates when they were moved, and is confident that much of the liquor is still inside.

Shackleton's expedition ran short of supplies on a long trek to the South Pole that began in 1907. He had to turn back about 100 miles from the pole in 1909. The team had to move quickly to escape as winter ice began to form, so they were forced to abandon all but essential equipment and supplies – including their whiskey. No lives were lost.

A Norwegian explorer, Roald Amundsen, was first to reach the South Pole two years later, in 1911.

As for what the future holds for Shackleton's whiskey, there are international treaties preventing the removal of artifacts from Antarctica, but Paterson wrote on his blog that he hopes to get his hands on at least a sample of the whiskey, if not a couple bottles.

"What you all want to know is: How will it taste?" Paterson wrote. "To which the answer is: Cold."

2. Remove Ads

I'm speechless! What to pay for a dram of the faerie dew.......

The Brandy could be great too!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Wow! And here's me all impressed by 10 year old Talisker.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I prefer a single malt myself. Preferably by myself. It is best enjoyed that way.

I wonder if the analysis will go through a gas chromatograph to determine the exact formulas involved.

My brother owns a fancy restaurant and they have a very impressive selection of fine wines and spirits that range from the fancy to the truly un-affordable. $25 per drink all the way up to $1650 a bottle for wines. I will print this out and show it to his liquor rep. I'll post my findings as soon as I hear something. Interesting story, thanks for the post QK.

Heard about that on the radio on the way into work yesterday. I did not know the story about the recipe being lost though. This is a story definitely worth following!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

It's really kind of funny. The scotch being produced today is of much higher quality. Besides, I'm sure if you go ask the makers of Glenlivet or Glenfiddich, they can pull recipes out from the 1800s.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Sir-
    Well! to answer this question...Any Fine RARE Scotch Whiskey Appreciators Here?...I can say I appreciate fine Scotch whisky, however , not ever having rare Scotch whisky I must default to the NO category, though...at least not that rare! In any event..I do appreciate a good rare scotch story...thank you!
    ארדוף אויבי ואשיגם ולא-אשוב עד-כלותם
    תהילים יח/לח

Distinguished Member
    Rare? No, but I will say that Laugavulin 16 is my fav. As a rule, anything older than 12 gets too harsh for me - or maybe I'm just a gulper, I don't like to sit and think about it that much.

Thanks for the posting anyways. It would be fun to watch that opened and drunk on a live scotchcast of some kind.

Laugavulin 16
    Yep. Very fine!

Had some Macallan 45 once, but the Laugavulin is like a kiss of a faerie.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I enjoy Scotch from time to time. It is my understanding that Scotch does not continue to age after it has been bottled. So a bottle of Johnny Walker Black is always 12 year old Scotch, even if it has been sitting on the bar for 10 years. It probably gets worse, actually.

The word 'crate' in the story means nothing to me, other than bottled Scotch packed in a wooden crate for Antarctic transport. Also, this story is at least many months old by now and still no new details. My guess is that nothing will come of this, and if it does, what? An expensive Scotch recipe that still has to sit around for a decade or two, the same as all the rest.

The story does seem to have a certain marketability, in that the implied rarity of 100 year old Antarctic Scotch whiskey might appeal to those who drink Scotch as some sort of status accessory. It could only be better if it was rescued from the preserved, frozen grasp of Roald Amundsen himself, or perhaps was lost in transit on its way to being delivered to royalty of some kind.

My favorite is Laphroaig. The 10 year is my normal sipping scotch, but I do have a bottle of 30 year old that my wife bought me a couple of years ago for my birthday for a little over $200. It's good but not quite sure it's $200 a bottle good. There's a liquor store we go to in Denver that has the 1945 McCallen and last I looked it was $19,000. I have about 15 different single malts on my bar and kinda like to switch tastes now and then.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

From a biography of "Pappa Joe" Kennedy....

Allegedly these included bootlegging, the illegal importation of alcohol into the United States during Prohibition, though these allegations have never been proven. It has been substantiated that toward the end of Prohibition, Kennedy and James Roosevelt traveled to Scotland to buy distribution rights for Scotch whiskey. In addition, Kennedy had purchased spirits-importation rights from Schenley, a firm in Canada.
    It is a matter of debate just how much of the Scotch market the Kennedy family still controls, but if you buy Scotch chances are you are lining the pockets of/and contributing to the political aspirations of the Kennedy's.

Thank You very much, but once I found this out my drink of choice is AMERICAN BOURBON and my bourbon IS american owned (Buffalo Trace distillery)
    Last edited by Scott; February 6th, 2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I enjoy Scotch from time to time. It is my understanding that Scotch does not continue to age after it has been bottled. So a bottle of Johnny Walker Black is always 12 year old Scotch, even if it has been sitting on the bar for 10 years. It probably gets worse, actually.

The word 'crate' in the story means nothing to me, other than bottled Scotch packed in a wooden crate for Antarctic transport. Also, this story is at least many months old by now and still no new details. My guess is that nothing will come of this, and if it does, what? An expensive Scotch recipe that still has to sit around for a decade or two, the same as all the rest.

The story does seem to have a certain marketability, in that the implied rarity of 100 year old Antarctic Scotch whiskey might appeal to those who drink Scotch as some sort of status accessory. It could only be better if it was rescued from the preserved, frozen grasp of Roald Amundsen himself, or perhaps was lost in transit on its way to being delivered to royalty of some kind.
    You are correct, spirits do not age in the bottle.

I love the glenlivet 18 yo. Mostly drink the 12 yo cause its cheaper. Glenmorangie 18 yo is very good. All I wanted was a 30 yo bottle of glenfiddich for my 30th bday, and my wish came true oooooooh soooooooo goooooood.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

Distinguished Member
    OOOOHhh. 20 yr Laphroig - do you use a fork or a spoon with that? We have a bottle that is reserved for those darkest of winter nights.

Bourbon - that could deserve a thread of it's own. Woodford Reserve baby!!!!!!!!

OK, back to concealed carry, cammo girl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links