13 year old arrested for scribble?

This is a discussion on 13 year old arrested for scribble? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 5, 2007 7:51 pm US/Eastern 13-Year-Old Arrested In School For Writing On Desk Principal Urges Cops To Arrest Girl For Writing 'Okay' Featured Slideshow I: ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13 year old arrested for scribble?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

5, 2007 7:51 pm US/Eastern
    13-Year-Old Arrested In School For Writing On Desk
    Principal Urges Cops To Arrest Girl For Writing 'Okay'
    Featured Slideshow I: Openly Gay Celebrities
    by Tanya Rivero
    NEW YORK (CBS) ―
    Click to enlarge
    1 of 1
    Chelsea Fraser was handcuffed and arrested in front of her classmates after writing on her desk.
    CBS
    In this day and age where young students are frequently charged for serious school offenses such as possessing weapons, dealing drugs, or assaulting other students on school property, one Brooklyn teen's arrest may come as a surprise. A 13-year-old girl was handcuffed and placed under arrest in front of her classmates in Dyker Heights after she wrote "Okay" on her desk.

The "suspect," Chelsea Fraser, says she's sorry for scribbling the word on her desk, but both she and her mother are shocked at the punishment.

"I'm appalled, because here we have rapists, murderers, and you're taking a 13-year-old kid? Wasting valuable manpower to arrest a child who wrote on a desk?" Fraser's mother Diana Silva told CBS 2.

Police confirm that that's exactly what's written on her arrest record and for the crime, she's been charged with criminal mischief and the making of graffiti. Fraser says the day she marked her desk, she was wrongly grouped together with troublemakers who had plastered stickers all over the classroom.

Fraser was arrested at the Dyker Heights Intermediate School on March 30 along with three other male students. She says she was made to empty her pockets and take off her belt. Then she was handcuffed and led out of the school in front of her classmates and placed in the back of a police car.

"It was really embarrassing because some of the kids, they talk, and they're going to label me as a bad kid. But I'm really not," Fraser said. "I didn't know writing 'Okay' would get me arrested."

"All the kids were ... watching these three boys and my daughter being marched out with four -- they had four police officers -- walking them out, handcuffed," Silva said. "She goes to me, 'Mommy, these hurt!'"

The students were taken to the 68th Precinct station house where Silva says they were separated for three hours. "MY child is 13-years-old -- doesn't it stand that I'm supposed to be present for any questioning?" Silva said. "I'm watching my daughter, she's handcuffed to the pole. I ask the officer has she been there the entire time? She says, 'Yes.'"

On her report card, under conduct, Fraser has earned all "satisfactory" marks and one "excellent" mark.

"My daughter just wrote something on a desk. I would have her scrub it with Soft Scrub on a Saturday morning when she should be out playing, and maybe a day of in-house and a formal apology to the principal," Silva said.

CBS 2 contacted both the NYPD and the Board of Education for a response. The police say the arrests followed a request by the school's principal. The Board of Education said the matter is under investigation, adding that graffiti was found on several desks.
    ( MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

What next? I guess the NYPD got a criminal off the street.

Thumbs down

Well I feel safer knowing this hardened criminal is off the streets...
    (we have "bold" "italics" and "underline", can we get a button for "sarcasm"?)

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Wow, talk about a poor allocation of resources. I would think this is detention worthy at best, but having cops come out to arrest and transfer kids to holding for 3 hrs seems WAY over the top. IMHO the principal needs a good hard smack upside the head. Hopefully the Board's "investigation" doesn't just spin it's wheels waiting for this to blow over.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Again, the inmates are running the asylum.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    I don't know whom to fault more, the teacher or the police. NO BRAINS in either.

An appropriate police response to this would be to explain to the Principal that while this is "technically" a crime, it is so minor that it should be handled by the school.

The laws on making of graffiti being an act of criminal mischief weren't intended for this situation. They were put in place to slow graffiti artists on subway cars and subway stations, and on highway underpasses, and the walls of buildings.

As someone else pointed out, this is an offense that should have been handled as a school rule infraction, with some extra homework and maybe detention, certainly a good scolding, and no more.

FWIW, every desk I ever had in public school, elementary grades through high school, had something or other carved (note the use of a blade) onto the wood.

Magic marker or pen and ink just isn't in the same destructive category. G-d invented Ajax scouring powder with chlorox bleach for a reason. Hand the kid some and make her clean up the mess. Enough.
    ]

def. Zero-Tolerance Principal: a teacher who cannot cut it, any longer.

def. Public School: a contradiction in terms.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wow it's really about time for change,time to change back to where life was before all this stupidity ensued,back when people weren't afraid to discipline their kids,back when children were respectful or else,time to get rid of idiots like that principal
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The administrators are getting paid way too much.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

I can't even believe that this is possible...not from the principal's perspective, nor from the LEO's perspective.
    There has to be another side or much more to this story...has to be!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

VIP Member

Restupt99-- I hope you are right

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I can't even believe that this is possible...not from the principal's perspective, nor from the LEO's perspective.
    There has to be another side or much more to this story...has to be!
    Yes. I hope you are right. Because, this incident is too plain "crazy" if it was only about a kid writing on the desk with a marker or pen.

The cops had to arrest after the school insisted. The fact that the crime isn't worth arresting someone over is irrelevant.

What really bothers me is the fact that the kid was "handcuffed to a pole and left there for 3 hours."

I think the charges will be dismissed and the school district will eventually write a big check. Then the city will write a check to go along with the one from the school district.

OK, so I have wiped this post 3 times and started over.

I will just say that this is really frustrating and such a waste of our tax dollars. Why not just give the girl detention and take advantage of the free labor having her clean desks all day?

I would love to see the principal PUBLICLY reprimanded for his/her poor judgment here, but it will never happen...

Just have to wonder how these people get their jobs, supposedly the cream rises to the top, but this cream has curdled!
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -C. S. Lewis

What ever happened to the teacher or the parent for that matter just giving the kid a scrub brush and some soap and say "FIX IT!" and be done with it? Now we're arresting them?

Change...you can count on.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    If I was the parents, I would be sueing the administrator and district and calling for her to be fired. We should get all the overreacting liberal whack-jobs out of our school systems so our kids can get a real education.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links