Earthquake survival

This is a discussion on Earthquake survival within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Boy! Is this ever an eye opener. Directly opposite of what we've been taught over the years! I can remember in school being told to, ...

Thread: Earthquake survival

Exclamation Earthquake survival

Boy! Is this ever an eye opener. Directly opposite of what we've been taught over the years! I can remember in school being told to, "duck and cover" or stand in a doorway during an earthquake. This guy's findings are absolutely amazing. I hope we all remember his survival method if we are ever in an earthquake!!!

EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE: "TRIANGLE OF LIFE"

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake.

I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a member of many rescue teams from many countries...

I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation for two years. I have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for simultaneous disasters.

The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under its desk. Every child was crushed to the thickness of their bones. They could have survived by lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene, unnecessary and I wondered why the children were not in the aisles. I didn't at the time know that the children were told to hide under something.

Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a space or void next to them. This space is what I call the "triangle of life".

The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact. The less the object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured. The next time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count the "triangles" you see formed. They are everywhere. It is the most common shape, you will see, in a collapsed building.

TIPS FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY

1) Most everyone who simply "ducks and covers" WHEN BUILDINGS COLLAPSE are crushed to death. People who get under objects, like desks or cars, are crushed.

2) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fetal position. You should too in an earthquake... It is a natural safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a smaller void. Get next to an object, next to a sofa, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but leave a void next to it.

3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake. If the wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created. Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight. Brick buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.

4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the bed. Hotels can achieve a much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a sign on The back of the door of every room telling occupants to lie down on the floor, next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.

5) If an earthquake happens and you cannot easily escape by getting out the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to a sofa, or large chair.

6) Most everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse is killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls forward or backward you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jam falls sideways you will be cut in half by the doorway. In either case, you will be killed!

7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different "moment of frequency" (they swing separately from the main part of the building). The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each other until structural failure of the stairs takes place. The people who get on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads - horribly mutilated. Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the stairs. The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when overloaded by fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety, even when the rest of the building is not damaged.

8) Get Near the Outer Walls Of Buildings Or Outside Of Them If Possible - It is much better to be near the outside of the building rather than the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the building the greater the probability that your escape route will be blocked.

9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which is exactly what happened with the slabs between the decks of the Nimitz Freeway... The victims of the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were all killed. They could have easily survived by getting out and sitting or lying next to their vehicles. Everyone killed would have survived if they had been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All the crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars that had columns fall directly across them.

10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices and other offices with a lot of paper, that paper does not compact. Large voids are found surrounding stacks of paper.

Spread the word and save someone's life... The Entire world has always experienced natural calamities so be prepared!

"We are but angels with one wing, it takes two to fly".

In 1996 we made a film, which proved my survival methodology to be correct. The Turkish Federal Government, City of Istanbul , University of Istanbul Case Productions and ARTI cooperated to film this practical, scientific test. We collapsed a school and a home with 20 mannequins inside. Ten mannequins did "duck and cover," and ten mannequins I used in my "triangle of life" survival method. After the simulated earthquake collapse we crawled through the rubble and entered the building to film and document the results. The film, in which I practiced my survival techniques under directly observable, scientific conditions, relevant to building collapse, showed there would have been zero percent survival for those doing duck and cover.

There would likely have been 100 percent survivability for people using my method of the "triangle of life." This film has been seen by millions of viewers on television in Turkey and the rest of Europe, and it was seen in the USA , Canada and Latin America on the TV program Real TV.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Pretty amazing stuff.

I guess it depends upon the magnitude of the quake. I lived in the Aleutian Islands and survived one of the largest quakes in North America...8.0...07 May 1986.
    Little was said about it on the national news as it was a naval air station and things were kept very quiet...only a brief mention of it and the possibility of a Tsunami.

I know from personal experience, that if a large quake does hit, you won't be running anywhere...you'll be trying to maintain your footing and thinking about clean underwear.
    Most quakes (some every week) ranged anywhere from 3.something up to 6.something...and lasted a very short time (seemed like 5-10 seconds), but the big one was more like 30-45 seconds and got everyone's attention. We were all in an elementary school built into berms on the island...all concrete walls and a sealed metal roof. We watch file cabinets tip over and the cement floors and walls 'rolled'....visually rolled.

Adak Naval Air station was built with quakes in mind, and there was very little building damage. Our entire island was evacuated into the mountains because of a possible Tsunami.

This is where the 'little spoken of' quake occurred. May 7, 1986 Central Aleutian Is., Alaska Tsunami
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This article has been around a long time and disputed by the Red Cross and others. Google "DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE: "TRIANGLE OF LIFE" " to see for yourselves.

As usual in these things, some advice is good, other 50/50 and the rest is bad.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    snopes.com: Triangle of Life -- Earthquake Survival Tips
    A more likely danger than a collapsing roof, is falling debris which could easily damage the brain or spine, but are unlikely to penetrate a solid desk. You are also unlikely to be hit by falling debris if you are in an area where it is unlikely to fall (like in a doorway.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

In the Urban Search & Rescue community, most people consider Mr. Copp an unreliable source of information at the best.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Exclamation Snopes? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    snopes.com: Triangle of Life -- Earthquake Survival Tips
    A more likely danger than a collapsing roof, is falling debris which could easily damage the brain or spine, but are unlikely to penetrate a solid desk. You are also unlikely to be hit by falling debris if you are in an area where it is unlikely to fall (like in a doorway.
    I've already had two building contractors from different parts of the country separately agree with the article and thank me profusely for sending it to them.

I don't trust SNOPES. Do you know what their creds are? They're a liberal husband/wife team operating out of their own home on a laptop, essentially. Often they support left wing agendas and serve as a mouthpiece for radical groups.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    There is good info there. Especially if you are away from home.

It it worth noting it doesn't even mention taking prep before an earthquake to increase safety. Good construction, fireproofing, attaching things, moving heavy objects to where they can't fall... quality modern construction is very earthquake resistant.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

My dream retirement home, we plan on buying and building like THIS in Western North Carolina as soon as we can: PBS Performance Building Systems-earth sheltered-solar energy-underground homes-energy efficient-Earth Systems

Links