A tug at the heart....

This is a discussion on A tug at the heart.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Tangle I can't resist sharing this with my DC friends, even though it has nothing to do with guns or shooting, but.... ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A tug at the heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I can't resist sharing this with my DC friends, even though it has nothing to do with guns or shooting, but....

A former neighbor called the other night and asked if I, or if I knew anyone, that could build an electric go cart for her disabled grandson. It seems that he has trouble walking and he's outgrown the Power Wheels he's been enjoying some mobility with. Hmmm, I thought, I've been looking for one more project for my project class - this would be great!

He's only gonna be using it on a level, fenced in yard, and it's gonna be designed to go slow.

Just this morning, I was authorized to purchase this frame:

Stingray Complete Go-Kart Chassis Kit Model# Stingray Go-Kart Kit | Go-Karts + ATVs | Northern Tool + Equipment

We're going to have a number of groups working on various parts, propulsion, lighting, sound (electronic horns, sirens, and a PA system), control box, and solar cell charging. They didn't ask for all that, but we're doing it because we can.

It has to go slow because of his disability and he needs a 'throttle' that makes it both go and stop. He can't operate mechanical brakes so we're going to incorporate Pulse Width Modulated dynamic braking on the motor. That meshes nicely because the same PWM system will provide a soft-start.

I'll choose either a 350 or 450 Watt, 24 VDC motor with a 7.9:1 primary gear reduction and we'll do the remaining reduction with the final drive sprockets.

My department head wants a markee type display on it so I expect we'll do that too.

His birthday is April 10 and we're gonna do our best to have it ready by then. Gonna be a challenge - during that time frame I have to teach a week long course at the Volkswagen Training Center and we have a week long Spring break in there too. It's gonna get intense! I'm excited!
    PM me with a list of "needs" and I'll see what I can come up with. I'm up in Athens so not too far away.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dralarms View Post
    PM me with a list of "needs" and I'll see what I can come up with. I'm up in Athens so not too far away.
    Thank you so much. We're working up component needs right now, and I should know more Monday. Thanks again!!!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Excellent! I hope it comes out great

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links