Please Just for Christians to answer

This is a discussion on Please Just for Christians to answer within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was just wondering as something occured to me the other day as I was reading my Bible, that I put way more attention to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was just wondering as something occured to me the other day as I was reading my Bible, that I put way more attention to detail to my firearm and holster setup each day (what with dressing around it and all) than I do to my looking for people to witness to and carrying my bible with me.

I never talk about o.c.ing my Bible with people or concealing it for that matter. Im just looking for your opinion and if maybe you see this in your lives as well, and how to comfortably mix the 2?
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    last I checked a bible isn't a deadly weapon...

are you going around like a Jehova's witness or something? If so do you OC while doing so? I don't think I completely understand the question.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

No Im not saying about carrying a bible around and stuff, Im talking about the mindset that we have and what we put most of our focus on, but no I dont go door to door or anything like that
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    No Im not saying about carrying a bible around and stuff, Im talking about the mindset that we have and what we put most of our focus on, but no I dont go door to door or anything like that
    Ah, gotcha

most of my religious studies happen on sundays. I do admit I sometimes neglect my faith during the week. I pray for forgiveness. God is very important to me. I do put focus on carrying and guns for sporting and hunting but its just a hobby.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    I've eased into a habit of praying thoughout the day. Not necessarily 'on-my-knees-throw-downs', but just quick thoughts here and there. It's amazing that I can still be a jerk in spite of this (think how bad I'd be if I didn't). However, my point is that my faith is a life-style. I don't preach to folks, but they know where my heart is.

Now as for guns (and motorcycles); These are my hobby, and I think that's healthy too. For example, you won't see me hiding my light on this board (and you'll occasionally see me show my rear too ). I'm never afraid to say "I'm sorry", though.

I'm far, far, far from perfect, but I try to keep my perspective with this litmus test: anything that comes between me and God is an idol. Work, relationships, guns, motorcycles... you name it. It all has the potential to be an idol.

Regarding carrying a Bible with you everywhere... a digital version on an iPod is a lot smaller ;) Seriously though, we're supposed to hide His word in our hearts. This way we can remember specific scripture when timely even if we don't have a Bible with us.

Pray that the Holy Spirit will make you sensitive to those around you so that you will know what to do and when to do it, whether that's witnessing to someone, offering a word of encouragement, or avoiding a life threatening situation.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by takurpic View Post
    I'm far, far, far from perfect, but I try to keep my perspective with this litmus test: anything that comes between me and God is an idol. Work, relationships, guns, motorcycles... you name it. It all has the potential to be an idol.

Regarding carrying a Bible with you everywhere... a digital version on an iPod is a lot smaller ;) Seriously though, we're supposed to hide His word in our hearts. This way we can remember specific scripture when timely even if we don't have a Bible with us.

Pray that the Holy Spirit will make you sensitive to those around you so that you will know what to do and when to do it, whether that's witnessing to someone, offering a word of encouragement, or avoiding a life threatening situation.

That's what I meant to say

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by takurpic View Post
    +1

This is the place I am at in my own life.

I don't think you must OC the Sword and preach to everyone within the sound of your voice, but you are not silent about your faith either.

Just as we train for early recognition of a physical threat, we need to train to recognize the opportunity to share God's love to others. takurpic has it right IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    I was just wondering as something occured to me the other day as I was reading my Bible, that I put way more attention to detail to my firearm and holster setup each day (what with dressing around it and all) than I do to my looking for people to witness to and carrying my bible with me.

I never talk about o.c.ing my Bible with people or concealing it for that matter. Im just looking for your opinion and if maybe you see this in your lives as well, and how to comfortably mix the 2?
    Right or wrong, this question comes across to me as coming from someone who feels a need to show off not only his Bible, but also to do some macho show-off with his firearm. Thus, you are risking defeating your espoused religious objective by appearing as a show-off.

If in doubt, and if you are sincere, my advice is take the safer approach. I always take this approach with juries, that is, if it is possible that something may not be received well by ALL members of a jury, then I am likely to forego a particular approach in presenting a case.

No offense is intended. This is only my 2 cents worth.

EDIT
    Perhaps I have misunderstood the question -- If you are only talking about "open carrying the Bible," please disregard my comments.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

That is the Holy Spirit tugging at your heart strings, rejoice in that. Reading God's word is the easy part of Christian faith, the practical application of Christ's teachings in our daily lives is the harder part of our faith. This is due to our fallen nature. Living faith makes people curious as to why you are different. This opens doors for witnessing. Keep to the narrow road my friend. You will be in my prayers. Thank you for being an encouragement.

I think that Christians have fought for the oppressed throughout history.
    What difference does the tool used make??

as per the forum rules:

9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we prohibit these subjects in our discussions. We also discourage "caliber wars" and the virtues of "open carry" topic; strongly encouraging you to take these discussions to other forums where these topics are the focus.

Write Bible Verses on your bullets and then go "deliver" The Word of God to some criminals.

Just kidding.

Try starting a Shooting Bible Study and meet at the range.
    That way you can attract Christians to firearms/self defense and Shooters to Church.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

just my thoughts.... not everyone that you see with a gun on knows how to use it......
    and so is it with the Bible, not everyone knows how or when to use it.
    and just because one carries doesnt mean one knows how to use it, and then it could be looked as "look at me" type of thing.

i personally have the Bible on my blackberry. then if i need to refresh my memory or want it for something i have it with me. kinda like i carry my xd9sc... i have it with me if i need it, but I just dont let everyone Tom, Dick, or Gary knows that i have it. JMHO

I hope that my actions and my walk speaks for itself..... but i am not perfect just forgiven
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

I keep mine on my BlackBerry as well.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links