How many of you lift and/or train in unarmed fighting? - Page 3

How many of you lift and/or train in unarmed fighting?

This is a discussion on How many of you lift and/or train in unarmed fighting? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Cardio just isn't about running. It about being able to stay in the fight. If a BG gets you wrapped up ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many of you lift and/or train in unarmed fighting?

VIP Member

re: sixto Getting wrapped up in a fight comment

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Cardio just isn't about running. It about being able to stay in the fight. If a BG gets you wrapped up on the ground, and you are worn out in a minute or two, you just made his goal a lot easier. Or how about a brief struggle, elevated heart rate and ad dump... don't you think you will be in much better shape to shoot your attacker or whatever fine motor skill is needed to get away? Just being able to think clearly is helped with improved cardio endurance.
    I think you maybe misunderstood what I wrote. Of course cardio is important. But there is cardio and there is cardio. It isn't important that you can run five miles or do 4 3 minute rounds; at least not from a SD point of view. It is important that you be able to "explode," and end the attack.

Most street fights for ordinary people are very brief very violent affairs. They don't come in neat little 3 minute rounds. The BG wants to get the heck out of there as soon as he meets resistance, or he is a crazy who will have to be put out of action with physical, chemical or lethal force.

In your profession you may well get into a foot chase followed by a bunch of grappling till your assistant arrives and till you can deploy a taser or a gun. You can not break off once engaged-- you have to fight till the guy is in cuffs, the hospital, or dead. You have fewer options. So, cardio is much more important for you.

Ordinary non-LE people just aren't getting into protracted fights--- and real fights don't require significant cardio endurance because they are not aerobic; they don't last long enough.

A good example, there is a fellow on trial here now for killing one of two brothers and wounding the other--he used an "evil" knife. It sure sounds to me like it was justified defense of a third party attacked by multiple attackers, but that isn't how the DA sees it. We'll see what the jury says--though I think they will be biased because he used a knife instead of a gun, and it was a fight outside a bar.

In any case, the whole business was over in seconds not minutes.

For us non-LEs the goal is to harm the attacker sufficiently for him to stop the fight and flee (we gladly let him run away), or to blunt the attack sufficiently that we can run and make some space; and use lethal force if pursued.

I just don't see the 2, 3, or 4 minute fight as part of a citizens life. Could it happen, a death struggle with an invader in your home that gets protracted? Sure. Likely, no.

I'm not sure what lifting has to do with it. Back when I was young and got into fights occasionally, it was always the bigger guys that were easier, because they were sure that even though they lacked skill, they were bigger and stronger than the majority. And really tall guys to that mix as well like 6'5" or bigger. They are usually sure that because they are really tall they are tough, but they are so easy to fold over with a good shot to their all to exposed knees.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I've been getting in shape for the Marine Corps for sometime now. M/W/F I wake up and run 3 miles, T/Th/S I hike 3 miles. Mon-Sat is filled with fun things like push ups, sit ups, pull ups, and mountain climbers (100's a day). I feel good, and am in decent shape, but I am in NO condition to be engaging in hand to hand combat simply because I am untrained. I have a better chance of surviving by running away.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    I'm not sure what lifting has to do with it.
    Strength, per se, is only one part of "fitness" in a situation.It's just a method of improving fitness.

As I am sure we can agree, of far more importance is how someone's training relates to managing physiology in dangerous, stressful situations that can explosively change gears or direction at the drop of a hat.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Another good thing about lifting is that your tendons and ligaments become used to stress. So maybe when you have to "explode" and move quickly to defend or escape, they won't be so likely to "explode" themselves.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I life weights 6 nights a week. I have been doing this for about 2 years now and have added about 30 pounds of solid muscle to my frame. I feel much better about being able to defend myself and my loved ones with out the use of a gun if need be now than I ever did before.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I don't lift anymore, but I used to be in the bench press club. I don't wrestle anymore but I used to have about 5% body fat when in College. I don't run anymore but I used to play football and run in track in High School.

Nowadays I sit at a desk about half the time and get out in the field about half the time and am exhausted mentally at the end of the day. On Friday afternoons the fatigue is almost palpable.

Although I have tried, I just cannot keep up a regular exercise regimen. My hats are off to you middle-agers that keep fit.

I think that is one of the reasons I decided to carry daily.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member

It is tough to find the time and energy

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Nowadays I sit at a desk about half the time and get out in the field about half the time and am exhausted mentally at the end of the day. On Friday afternoons the fatigue is almost palpable.

Although I have tried, I just cannot keep up a regular exercise regimen.
    I think Yoda speaks for about 90% of us.

It is genuinely tough for most over 30 and under retirement aged folks to find the time. Their world is work and commute to work 45-60 hours a week. Struggle to make time for the kids-- to take them to their essential activities. Struggle to make time to take care of the house, the car, other family obligations such as aging parents. Pray you don't get sick, you don't get an unexpected bill.

MA done diligently is a luxury for the young, or those who are in circumstances where they have several hours time each week to put into fitness and MA study. I got into it only long after my son was grown and out of the house, and I do it now seriously only because being retired I have the time. There is no way I could have done it when I was raising my family, struggling to keep a job/career, trying to keep a 13 year old vehicle going, and so forth.

If you are in a line of work where fitness is part of the deal, e.g., firefighter, LE, coach, that's a different story, but most folks just struggle to do the things that must get done.

Taking care of themselves physically is one of those things that often must go because of either time or money constraints or both.

After 46 years of marriage, I consider myself an expert at unarmed fighting.

VIP Member

re-- Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    After 46 years of marriage, I consider myself an expert at unarmed fighting.
    Me too. And I always lose.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links