How many of you lift and/or train in unarmed fighting?

This is a discussion on How many of you lift and/or train in unarmed fighting? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Now I'll admit that I am not tactical master, but reading here got me curious how many practice unarmed combat or train to increase their ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Now I'll admit that I am not tactical master, but reading here got me curious how many practice unarmed combat or train to increase their strength.

I trained for a bit with a friend who was a state champ in wrestling through high school, so I feel pretty good about unarmed combat compared to a few years ago. I also powerlift, so even if I am lacking in skill I know I am bigger and stronger than the majority of crack heads roaming the streets. At least I think so being most my weights I used in bench, squat or deadlift are twice my body weight.

There are many people here that carry OC spray, knives and their carry weapon to give themselves options before the final 'pull the trigger' scenario, so how many of you give yourself more options by lifting or training to fight unarmed?
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

Fitness has its place. However, do not believe that you are the equal to some loaded crackhead just because you lift weights and/or are "trained."

That's just plain arrogance.

LEO are "trained" and they "work out." Yet, they STILL try not to handle crackheads by themselves because they know that the crackhead might win in any hand-to-hand. It's hard to stop someone who feels no pain and is nothing but screaming angry and violent. No pain and no rational thought = almost impossible to stop.

If you are often in harms way, you should be fit. But, you should work on your SA more because that's the FIRST TOOL in the toolbox.

I trained in a variety of martial arts over the years, and taught a couple but family commitments have limited my ability to do that in recent years.

I do exercise (lift, P90X, run, swim, whatever), but I do so for health benefits more than self defense.

The statistical chance of me being attacked is small compared to the statistical chance of me becoming old.

Health is a life style for me; seems silly to prepare for being mugged, robbed in my house, attacked by punks, whatever.. and then die of a heart attack because I was an idiot that didn't exercise, or eat healthy.

I am well versed in screaming like a girl and running....does that count?
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Skill > Strength.

I've wrassled with plenty of meat heads in the Marine Corps. I lift, but I'm not a big guy, I'm not super strong, I'm just in shape. As long as my skill in getting someone on the ground and inflicting pain outweighs theirs, size does not matter. I've seen some real scrawny little guys who can absolutely destroy bigger guys. Now, in a fist fight, power has it's place, but 9/10 times I'm in a fist fight, I'm going to try to get it on the ground and start destroying their joints, especially if they are bigger or stronger than me.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Dont care how big you are a wins everytime. Most fights only last 1 minute maybe 2 and then you are spent. Done.

Yes, size does have its place but I have seen a small street kids give a good beating to much bigger guys.

As the saying goes. It not the size of the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog.

VIP Member
    Machina asked: "reading here got me curious how many practice unarmed combat or train to increase their strength."

I don't know how many here do this, but I do---and I'm an old man. I do it for the potential benefit of possibly avoiding the need to use a gun; I do it for the fun learning MA skills, and I do it for the moderate to (sometimes) severe workouts
    which I hope will keep my aged and diseased body going just a few more (there aren't many left). And I will do it till my doctor says NO!

I am trained extensively in Krav Maga, the Israeli martial art. Disarming and striking with some grappling. I dont lift weights, strength has nothing to do with skill or technique. I train in Krav Maga because its just another weapon in my tool box for self-defense just like my firearm.

VIP Member
    I currently hold a Brown Belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and have done quite a bit of training in Muay Thai. In my opinion, carrying a gun is pretty irresponsible if it is your only option. A lot of gun guys don't like to hear it, but you do have to be pretty fit, even if the gun is your first option.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Administrator
    I've been into pentjak silat for a number of years, its pretty wicked if you can find proper instruction.

I've also found that cardio endurance and hand strength are far more important than your bench press and squat when it comes to self defense applications.

With that said, I do hit the weight room for an hour a day, four days a week. I'm not huge but I'm no twig either.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    But, you should work on your SA more because that's the FIRST TOOL in the toolbox.
    Lesson #1. Absolutely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by tsaphah View Post

The statistical chance of me being attacked is small compared to the statistical chance of me becoming old.

Health is a life style for me; seems silly to prepare for being mugged, robbed in my house, attacked by punks, whatever.. and then die of a heart attack because I was an idiot that didn't exercise, or eat healthy.

Very wise words.........

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Oh, I do a little. I used to more.

The more unarmed combatives/physical training you do, the more you appreciate the ease of weaponry (esp. as you age)!
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

VIP Member

Cardio endurance

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've been into pentjak silat for a number of years, its pretty wicked if you can find proper instruction.

I've also found that cardio endurance and hand strength are far more important than your bench press and squat when it comes to self defense applications.

With that said, I do hit the weight room for an hour a day, four days a week. I'm not huge but I'm no twig either.
    I agree that hand strength is very important. And for folks in your profession who may need to run and chase a BG, cardio endurance is important.

I don't see cardio endurance as important for the ordinary civilian, with respect to SD. Ordinary folk's encounters with BGs tend to be brief and violent, a few seconds. No long foot chase involved. No special need to have great cardiac endurance.

I'm too old to run fast, but for younger people I think one of the most important tools besides H2H is an ability to "explode" and get off the X and keep running.

I do strength training and a bit of old dudes basketball at our local YMCA. Go there a couple nights out of the week, mostly to stay fit. At 53, I'm not in too bad of shape. It also helps out with my drum playing.

I have had martial arts training in past years, mostly Tae Kwon Do, some Aikido, Judo and that sort, but I am not proficient in it. I can use some of what I know, but the combination of martial arts skill and a good Smith & Wesson will do the job just fine push come to shove.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links