Am I getting scammed?!

This is a discussion on Am I getting scammed?! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In a nutshell, I have a motorcycle that I put on craigslist a month ago. The next day it was flagged for whatever reason. Later ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I getting scammed?!

Am I getting scammed?!

In a nutshell, I have a motorcycle that I put on craigslist a month ago. The next day it was flagged for whatever reason. Later that same day I get an email from a guy saying he wants it ASAP!! "OK?" I thought. So I replied and don't hear from him for 2 weeks.

2 weeks later I get another email from him. He tells me that he is going to send me a check for $4500 ($2150 for the bike and the rest to give to a 'friend' who will handle the shipping of the bike). A few days ago I got the check and the bank proceeds to tell me it looks like a scam and point out a bunch of flaws. I deposit it anyway and have them put a 15 day hold on it so they can check it to see if its legit.

I come up with some BS story that the bank won't let me outright cash it until 15 days have passed and tell him that I won't send a cent to anyone until the check has cleared. 3 days pass and he doesn't respond. Today he tells me to send the extra money to this "shipper" of his.

Either he is a scammer or an idiot but I have made it 100% clear that I will not under any circumstances send him money that I don't have.

So...is this guy a scammer? Here is the most recent email I sent him and then his reply.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM, <nadavis@olemiss.edu> wrote:
    Hey, I'll try and clear this up as best I can:

1) The check is in my account BUT I have to wait 14 days to access any of it.

2) AFTER 14 days have passed (and the bank is certain that the check is not going to bounce) I will then send the shipping money to whomever you want me to.

I have zero control over what the bank is doing, unfortunately. This is a college town and I have a student account. They are simply enforcing their own policies to not only protect their money but also mine.

Again, I hope this isn't a burden but there isn't much I can do. However, if you would like to cancel the check and send me $4500 via paypal so I can get the money more quickly then I am ok with that. You can deduct the $30 (or whatever your bank charges) fee for canceling the check from the money you are paying me.

I hope this clears everything up. After 14 days and clarification from the bank I will send the excess money to whomever you want.

-Nick

P.S. I do not have $2000+ dollars to send to your shipper ahead of time in case you were wondering.

Hi......

Hopefully you suppose to have send the money to my shipper by now....so i will want you to get back to me now with the MONEY GRAM INFO DETAILS,so that my shipper can come over for the pickup of the item right now...and we can scheduled time for the pickup...

Thanks and get back to me asap....

God bless you abundantly...

2. Remove Ads

Its a scam,its a scam,its a scam.These scams have gone on for years,they send more money than item is worth then have you send them the xtra,the check comes back as insufficient funds,and you are out your bike and the cash,the bank wants the overdraft and you are left holding the bag with no idea who got your money
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yes you are being scammed. This is a old trick. Perhaps this may be a good time to notify the proper authorities? hopefully some LEO's will chime in with some advice.

You have been very smart thus far (minus accepting the whole deal, don't do that again), do not send him any money at all.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Complete scam. pretty well document type too, and CL advises against attempting any deal like that.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Agreed, scam.

In the future if nothing else, do not deal with people who cannot type proper english. It's always a give away when they type something like this

Hopefully you suppose to have send the money to my shipper by now.
    .and we can scheduled time for the pickup...
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

You might call LEO and give them a headsup,they may want to do a sting on whoever shows up to pick the bike up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    You have been very smart thus far (minus accepting the whole deal, don't do that again), do not send him any money at all.
    Ha well honestly bro he seemed pretty legit at first but after a while it did seem strange. If you could read the other emails he sent (I kept them all just in case) you would see that it didn't seem odd. He didn't tell me to send any money to anyone until he sent the check. The idea was for me to pay a shipping company.

Oh well, I put the bike back up for sale earlier today and my bank says the worst that could happen is that the check bounces and I'm out $8.

JD
    Administrator
    "Am I being scammed?"

If you have to ask, you probably are.

VIP Member
    Am I getting scammed?!

In a nutshell, I'd say yes.

A couple of years ago, someone tried the same ploy on the company I work for. The cheque eventually bounces and you're out on whatever amount you fronted for shipping, expenses, etc.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    Perhaps this may be a good time to notify the proper authorities? hopefully some LEO's will chime in with some advice.
    How do I get this guy arrested? All I have is an email address. He wouldn't send me his full name, home address or anything.

The only thing he has on me is my name, email, cell number (which he hasn't used to contact me with), and home address (which apparently the mail service has a hard time finding since the check had to be sent to a packaging company for me to get it).

Oh well, I put the bike back up for sale earlier today and my bank says the worst that could happen is that the check bounces and I'm out $8.
    Which means the bank scams you for $8.00 for a check from someone else. Love the banks.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You might call LEO and give them a headsup,they may want to do a sting on whoever shows up to pick the bike up
    Nobody is ever going to pick up the bike. Thats why its a SCAM.

He sent you a check. Was there a name and address on the check? How about a return address on the envelope in which the check was sent? A tracking number and account number on the check?
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Ok so this just happened a few minutes ago.

ME:There is no money gram info because there currently is no money. I have to wait till the check clears. You must be in some kind of rush but there is nothing I can do. If you want me to get the MONEY GRAM to your shipper sooner then cancel the check and shoot me some money over to my paypal account.

HIM (Charles Smart):OK....I WILL WAIT TILL CHECK CLEAR YOUR BANK THEN....SO WHEN DID YOUR BANK SAID YOU SHOULD COME BACK FOR THE MONEY.

What should I say? Is he trying to trick me somehow? Should I lie or just ignore him all together. Can I get in trouble for this cause if I just ignore him he could report me to the cops saying I took $4500 from him and did not follow up on the deal.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links