Getting a K9...

This is a discussion on Getting a K9... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dogs seem to be a very popular topic on this forum. I've finally decided its time to get one of my own, and I'm looking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a K9...

Getting a K9...

Dogs seem to be a very popular topic on this forum. I've finally decided its time to get one of my own, and I'm looking for something somewhat specific. I want the smart, loyal, defensive type. The type that will growl and bark, not duck behind the couch. My grandpa used to have a German Shepard, and that breed seems to be the most likely candidate. I was wondering what suggestions all you lovely people might have.
    "If it ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here."
    -Sheriff Bell, No Country for Old Men

2. Remove Ads

You'll get many responses from this forum, and I'll start with a Rhodesian Ridgeback...he'll get the job done and provide you with years of loyalty.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    What would be the right dog is hard to say, many things come into play. Do you live in a house or apartment? How much time do you have to spend with it for exercise and training? Will this be a one person dog, or family dog? If a family dog are there young children? Also have you considered ALL of the expenses, not only the cost of the dog, but food (can be very expensive for a large breed), training, veterinarian services, groomers and boarding care when vacation time comes around.

My personal preference would be an Australian Shepard. Smart, loyal, protective of their family. However they do need a large area to be able to run and play, they take quite a bit of time for exercise and grooming. Aussies are not a good match for an apartment dweller.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Archer about said everything I wanted to. If you could answer some of those questions, it would give a lot of folks a better perspective of what to recommend from their personal experiences to you.

Shepherds are good since mentioned, watch out for the hip problems that come with some of them later in life in the American Bred type. Ridgebacks were mentioned, a good dog, I've never had any problem with them personally. I'm sure a host of others will be mentioned as we go along.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Administrator
    GSD's top the list for the traits you want. Just make sure you do a lot of research on the breed, and the breeder you choose. There is a lot of junk out there that will do nothing but cause a lot of headache, frustration and eventually heartache.

Also, especially with a GSD, invest in some basic training classes. Even if you "know" what you are doing training a dog, these classes provide a lot of other things you and the dog need. From a reputable trainer, these are well worth the money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'll look into all the breeds suggested. Some more info: I live in the 'burbs, no family, (yet) so its a personal dog. Looking for some company around the house you know? Since I don't have much to do when I'm home, I'll have time to care for it. On another note, do any of you find that the dog's gender matters much?

Find a GOOD trainer before you get the dog. A good trainer can help you with info about breeds and breeders. They can even help you evaluate and pick a pup from the liter.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

When you hire a trainer, do they work with the owner and the dog, or just the dog? I don't want my pup's loyalty getting confused...

I've never owned a dog, so excuse stupid questions. You guys are very helpful. Much nicer than other forums.

Please feel free to keep the questions coming, you can send me a PM anytime.

Depends on the training program and what you are wanting out of the training. But, you will probably want a trainer to work with while you work with your dog.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    Normally obedience training is done owner with dog.

Just remember, a dog, or any pet for that matter is a long term commitment. A dog who receives regular veterinarian care can easily live 12-14 years. The love and devotion they will give you is priceless. The heartache you will suffer when you lose them is deep.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I always like Dobermans, seemingly a forgotten breed in recent years. Extremely trainable, well mannered, and loyal and protective of their owners. However, I love my daughters German Shephard as well. Mastiffs are good too.

Of course you could get a Bovier des flandres .... great great dogs... and when they come running and bark, they'ld just scare people.... LOL. They'll do anything to please their owner, protective of their owner, great with kids, lovable bears that don't SHED hair and good for anyone with allergies.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byh0c9OkFFM

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    I just recently got my fiance and I a GSD she is now 14wks old and quickly growing on us. She is awesome but as a pup she is still into the biting stage. We are trying to get her into a class but that will take some time to find the right one. Here she is, I think you cant go wrong with a GSD!

This was her at 9 weeks. she is now 35 - 40 lbs and growing everyday.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

I had a Boxer, "Bear", and he was a smart and loyal dog.

He passed away, now my family has two gaurd dogs, Dashunds , and we love'em.

A agree, GSDs are great dogs, I never had one, but worked with a few K9 teams in my old Dept, they are intelligent beyond believe.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Don't overlook American Staffordshire Terriers or Staffordshire Bull Terriers...loving, loyal, intelligent..and dote on their masters.

Before you look into getting a strongwilled breed you need to ask yourself can you handle a dog like that? They need constant mental stimulation and strong leadership. My patterdale terrier Rambo is the very definition of a big dog in a small body. He needs to be lead every step of the way.

He would attack me and my girlfriend whenever we let him get away with small things like running away when I said "drop it." Just some things to consider. Don't let it scare you though. Honestly just spending 15-30 mins a day on obedience training per day keeps the dog in his/her place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links