Only a gun owner would notice this...

This is a discussion on Only a gun owner would notice this... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was playing Day of Defeat this morning... it's an online WW2 themed first person shooter. You have two teams, the Americans and the Germans. ...

Thread: Only a gun owner would notice this...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Only a gun owner would notice this...

I was playing Day of Defeat this morning... it's an online WW2 themed first person shooter. You have two teams, the Americans and the Germans. The objective is to capture and hold certain points on the battlefield... anyway, today I was playing on the American side and the rifle I chose was the M1 Garand. The game is pretty detailed when it comes to graphics... I can't say much for authenticity though. I got a look at the serial number on my "Garand"... it was 4.7 Million.

WW2 ended in the 3.8 Million range

Guess they didn't check that before they made the game

See the bottom right of the screen shot:

2. Remove Ads

Haha I notice stuff like that sometimes. My GF just rolls her eyes at me, and tells me I have a problem.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

VIP Member
    Maybe it was 476 thousand.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Does it even have a front sight? I don't see one. Maybe it's just the pick?

Emrah

It could have been on purpose, like TV programs when they say a phone number and they all start with a 555 prefix.
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

I've noticed that even in the CoD games, there are other inaccuracies as well. For example, everytime you take switch to the shotgun in CoD 5, it always works the action... regardless of whether you did it before. If you reload, no matter if tehre is already a round in the chamber, it still works the forearm. Doesn't make sense, but... it's a video game. heh.

I can't remember if MW2 has the same mistake.

Heck my problem with COD MW2 is that everyone has real ammo but me. My ammo is rubber or something! I shoot, they shoot, I die!
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    Heck my problem with COD MW2 is that everyone has real ammo but me. My ammo is rubber or something! I shoot, they shoot, I die!
    Also that you have to upgrade to FMJ. FMJ is all the military uses.
    Oh and the really quiet suppressed shotgun.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I don't expect these games to get much right. I play DoD pretty often, PM me if your ever up for a match. Considering it also takes two shots to the chest to kill somebody with the M1, (which irritates me to no end,) and its shoots miserably slow, the serial number is the least of DoD's realism issues.
    On another note, the BAR is basically used like an assault rifle instead of a support weapon. I don't know if you've ever played the original, plain old Day of Defeat on the HL1 engine, but in the older version the BAR had a bipod and everything. And the British were in that one.
    "If it ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here."
    -Sheriff Bell, No Country for Old Men

Hey my SC on DODS is [SOFW] Sgt. Datsun look me up sometime and I will show you how to use that Garand.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    I know the feeling all too well!! Seems like its always some little punk kid maybe 8 years old talking crap and killing me everytime I spawn!

If anyone wants to ever play CoD MW2 or CoD 5 Zombies add me. I am Avenger1r on PS3. Just mention DC and I will gladly add you!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    Haha I notice stuff like that sometimes. My GF just rolls her eyes at me, and tells me I have a problem.
    It's not likely get better. After 47 years (GF & marriage), my wife stills complains when I notice stuff like that.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    Hahaha darn right I do.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Maybe it was 476 thousand.
    Look at the serial number CLOSELY!!!
    I think you'll find it's 6 numbers, centered under the mfg. info...not 7......
    That WOULD make it 476, 000.....
    Or...Do I need new reading glasses...??

My girlfriend does this also.

maybe we both need to stop playing games for a while. lol

Socom: Fire Team Bravo 3 for the PSP comes out tomorrow.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Links