The geek in me thinks this is cool

This is a discussion on The geek in me thinks this is cool within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just thought I would pass this on, it seems like cool technology and who knows what it will bring in the future, esp. considering so ...

Thread: The geek in me thinks this is cool

The geek in me thinks this is cool

Just thought I would pass this on, it seems like cool technology and who knows what it will bring in the future, esp. considering so much of our daily technology was military first, including that cell phone sitting on you hip...

Boeing 747 uses laser to destroy missile | NorthWest Cable News | Business News
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I saw that... reassuring in these times...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    I saw that... reassuring in these times...
    Isn't it though? Especially when you have the intelligence folks worried about a Scud in a bucket or a missile launched from a container ship with the intent being an EMP blast.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

in those cases this does not work. there is not one of these flying in range 24/7.
    if I remember correctly there is only 1 of these. with testing and building, these are years away.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

If I were Commander In Chief, I'd find it hard to resist testing this the next time North Korea launched an ICBM test missile. Take that, Kim Jong-il .

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

So that's the plane that had my dog running all over the lawn last night....

That's some cool stuff but as someone said availability is in pretty short supply for some time to come.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Don't get me wrong...it's way cool and a valuable asset, but at this stage doesn't seem refined enough to help civvie aircraft even if it were widely available. It intercepted ballistic missiles 1-2 minutes after launch. The big threat to civvie aircraft is a manportable, shoulder fired antiaircraft missile fired from fairly close to the aircraft at takeoff/landing/circling and waiting time when the distance and flight time are short. also, the target and heat signatures are much smaller...which might not be a huge leap, but that's not what they're testing for yet. The original purpose is to defend a theater of operation from surface to surface missiles.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Links