Wash your Hands before flying

This is a discussion on Wash your Hands before flying within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...and after for that matter.... TSA to Swab for Explosive Residue I don't know if those of us who carry firearms get enough residue from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wash your Hands before flying

Wash your Hands before flying

...and after for that matter....

TSA to Swab for Explosive Residue

I don't know if those of us who carry firearms get enough residue from handling loaded ammunition to set these things off.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    wonder what it is looking for?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    wonder what it is looking for?
    explosive residue

Sorry I couldn't pass it up
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Well, unless you've been out shooting black powder, seems to me that smokeless gunpowder residue isn't much of a threat or indicator of anything. Smokeless powder doesn't explode, it burns - and it's a damn poor explosive. Of course, silly me - I'm not thinking like the government.

A couple of years ago I was travelling with sidearms and ammunition. The ammo was all in factory boxes. The TSA agent dutifully opened each box of ammo, removed one round, and swabbed it. Mind you, the ammo boxes were clearly marked ".45 ACP"... and all I could think was, what on earth did she think the chemical swab would reveal??? Well, nothing came back from the analyzer, but I still shake my head at that.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    explosive residue

Sorry I couldn't pass it up
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Well, unless you've been out shooting black powder, seems to me that smokeless gunpowder residue isn't much of a threat or indicator of anything. Smokeless powder doesn't explode, it burns - and it's a damn poor explosive. Of course, silly me - I'm not thinking like the government.

A couple of years ago I was travelling with sidearms and ammunition. The ammo was all in factory boxes. The TSA agent dutifully opened each box of ammo, removed one round, and swabbed it. Mind you, the ammo boxes were clearly marked ".45 ACP"... and all I could think was, what on earth did she think the chemical swab would reveal??? Well, nothing came back from the analyzer, but I still shake my head at that.
    Wow, and our tax dollars pay for that! Do they have a maximum IQ test to work for the TSA? Something like 80?
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

My conspiracy theory on this is it would be a great way to get DNA samples from whomever they swab but that is just the paranoid in me. Every day it is another step in the whole fear factory.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    My bag got swabbed at SeaTac when I flew with my pistol.

Just the bag, though. none of the contents.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Wow, and our tax dollars pay for that! Do they have a maximum IQ test to work for the TSA? Something like 80?
    Probably closer to room temperature - in degrees Celsius.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My conspiracy theory on this is it would be a great way to get DNA samples from whomever they swab but that is just the paranoid in me. Every day it is another step in the whole fear factory.
    I've gathered DNA for a biology class. You need to do a cheek swab to get any appreciable amount of tissue. Somebody getting enough skin from your hand to collect DNA would *hurt*. Random flakes of skin aren't enough, because tiny amounts of dust could be from other people's skin and would make for a terrible sample. You need to get a big enough sample that random contamination doesn't matter, or take it from the mouth where contamination is unlikely unless you're a cannibal. Also, amplifying a tiny spec of DNA is a ton of work. It's not feasible to do it in large volume. If you wanted to keep a database, you'd have to collect enough DNA to process more quickly.

Get worried when they want to do cheek swabs, draw blood, or cut little chunks of tissue off of you. Honestly, I'm pretty sure that if they offered DNA profiling in exchange for a free drink or something, most people would go for it. No need to make a conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Was this in Dallas?

I was travelling through Dallas IAP in my military uniform (ABU), checking an M4 and M9 in my luggage. My bag with the M9 went through without a problem. The M4 was in a separate case--so I was asked to open it. They then swabbed the M4 and the case. I asked what they were looking for--they said "residue"....I told them, "You are kidding, right? It's a stinkin' M4....of course it's going to have residue"

"Policy"....is what I was told.

Wonderful security theater....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

My conspiracy theory on this is it would be a great way to get DNA samples from whomever they swab but that is just the paranoid in me.
    Close, but I was thinking the other direction: depositing, rather than collecting, a chemical agent that's absorbed into the bloodstream through dermal contact with the swab.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Was this in Dallas?
    No - Hartford, CT. Ignorance appears in all time zones.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Everything I ever needed to know about the TSA I learned when I was looking into it for employment. They start you off at minimum wage.

That is right, McDonalds pays better.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Let me figure this out. I just finished unloading my pistol and packing it away along with some ammo, OK...now they're going to swab my hands for residue? Why?

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links