TSA makes 4yo disabled boy remove leg braces and walk through checkpoint

This is a discussion on TSA makes 4yo disabled boy remove leg braces and walk through checkpoint within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was speechless when I heard this. A family was going to Disney with their disabled son. The father is a police officer, and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was speechless when I heard this.

A family was going to Disney with their disabled son. The father is a police officer, and I don't remember if they mentioned what the mother does. He was born 4 months premature and has to wear leg braces to walk. When they got to the security checkpoint before their flight, TSA made the boy remove his leg braces and walk through the metal detector. They refused to let the parents help him in any way and would not do the screening any other way.

Heres a video about it. The title is wrong, but it takes you to the correct video.
    Palin slams 'Family Guy' producers

This is insane. I'm glad I don't have to fly.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

That's sickening. Unbelievable! Really? A disabled child terrorist...is that what TSA was thinking? I can't say what I want, with the language the comes to mind, so I won't.

Stupid you can not fix!!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Did they swab his hands for bomb residue as well?
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Pay bottom dollar, get bottom dollar results.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

This one got publicity, I work in the disability community and have heard several stories like this. There is no consistency either, I've had some friends mistreated like this boy and others simply waved through wheelchair and all. My friend said "they didn't even look twice at me, I could have brought anything I wanted on the plane."

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

I saw them do pretty much the same thing to a real old lady in a wheelchair. When they finally realized that she flat out wasn't able to walk thru the scanner, they pulled her aside and wanded her, etc...It was the day after the underwear bomber, but still....common sense has more or less gone the way of the dinosaur anymore.

Took a good 10-15 minutes, all told, by the time they were convinced she wasn't a threat to the plane.

You should see what my Dad has to go through. He has a pacemaker and cannot go through the scanner or be wanded. He almost gets a full cavity search every time. And he carries the certification from his doctor.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member

Re Husker

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    You should see what my Dad has to go through. He has a pacemaker and cannot go through the scanner or be wanded. He almost gets a full cavity search every time. And he carries the certification from his doctor.
    Same deal with my wife. Sometimes they do it right; sometimes they have no idea and want to wand her anyway-ignoring the card and verbal instructions.

Have had a couple of fights with them --surprised I wasn't arrested for disorderly conduct or worse after yelling at them to stop; they ignored the card and tried to wand her.

One guy, not in the US, either lied and said he turned the wand off, or wanded her with a wand that was off--- instead of bothering to get a female to pat her down.

In some places they offer a private screened area for the pat down, in others they do it out in the open.

Some places do it right, some are very good at how they do the pat down, others are idiots.

It is only going to get worse. Now they are promising to check hands for traces of explosive. Like a real BG wouldn't thoroughly wash with plenty of goop and then soap and water before heading to the airport.

"common sense" has left the building.....

amazing. I feel for the boy.

They did the same thing to my 80 year old mom (she was in a wheelchair)...and I swear, I was sure that some Mid-Eastern types were sneaking by with long cases taken for "carry-on's".
    Yes, I am kidding about the Mid-Eastern types, but my mom was made to stand and be searched (along with her wheelchair)...absolutely ridiculous.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As I mentioned in another thread regarding TSA "policy".......security theater.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

That really sucks. :(

The worst that happens to me when I pass metal detectors is I surprise the person. (About 40 lbs of metal goes into the tray and I use about 4-6 trays for what I am carrying THAT day. I am no longer asked to goto the Edinburg courthouse. lol
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Senior Moderator
    True story:

I was behind a woman in the security line at Orlando International, and she was in a wheelchair. The TSA agent asked her if she could walk through the metal detector.

The woman was a bilateral amputee. No prosthesis, just stumps ending at the edge of the chair seat.

You just can't make this stuff up.....

Matt
    Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Let's see now. A guy with explosives in his jock gets by TSA. But they make a 4-year old take leg braces off and "walk" through the detector. Yup, Janet, the system works. That's one that makes you shake your head in disbelief.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links