Tell me about web hosting

This is a discussion on Tell me about web hosting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What are some of the best, easiest, cost effective, etc....web hosting outfits? All opinions or links and such. I'm not interested in tutorials, just your ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about web hosting

What are some of the best, easiest, cost effective, etc....web hosting outfits? All opinions or links and such. I'm not interested in tutorials, just your opinions from those who have created their own websites and developed them through a hosting service. I know there are a ton of options. I have five domains and I'm ready to get a couple of them going real soon. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I have nothing useful to offer, but it sounds like you might be brewing something up, and want to wish you luck!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

BJC
    I've used Webs - Make a free website, get free hosting with good success. Free hosting is supported by ads, while their premium services are Ad free. If you look carefully, there is an option to remove Banner Ads for a small fee.

BJC

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Like most things it depends on what you want to do with them.

Go Daddy isn't a bad option, either is free pages if you are looking for a general purpose setup.

Wordpress has a fair amount of things that can be done with it and it is free.

My wife built/is building our website now, so I don't know too much about it except that most of the programs are open source.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

There are a few things to keep in mind, depending upon your site demands:

1) down time. If a host guarantees that your site will be "online" 99%, that 1% time that it's down equals three and a half days unavailable.

2) broadband backbones. Just as if you were hosting your own site (fine for personal use), if your local friendly contractor cuts through your cable or DSL line, you're offline until it's repaired. A good hosting farm has both internal security for the hardware and multiple major broadband uplinks to ensure it isn't reliant on any single connection to the Internet.

3) Do your sites need MySQL or e-commerce setups?

4) What OS are the hosting computers using? Linux/Unix are the most common. Hackers love those, but not as much as they love Windows. The US Army years ago, after multiple hacking intrusions, went to Mac OS X Servers. Don't know if that is still the case.

5) Hosting yourself? If you want to locate your own server at a server farm, check into co-location options. Also, Apple has a great deal with a MacMini with 4GB RAM, two 500GB drives, Gigabit Ethernet, etc. with OS X 10.6 Server. Plenty of setup videos on Apple's site, including server setups for email, podcasts and video conferencing. $999.

6) E-mail hosting? Do you also get web-based email so you can check email from a web browser when traveling? Spam control too?

Cont'd.
    7) Support? 24/7 isn't everything though it helps. If you need troubleshooting, competent support makes up for constant ineffective support. Support also can mean helping with your DNS moves, registrations, domain name renewal reminders, etc.

8) Your cost is going to be gauged on the bandwidth your site consumes. How many other websites are you sharing on the same server. Some servers host up to 1,800 other sites. My main client was the ONLY site on a server for many years because it used a lot of bandwidth and other server services. I've also had bad scripting on other neighbor sites cause server issues that took my client's site down. Expect to pay from $15 to a couple hundred $ per month depending upon your demands.

9) Your cheapest hosting is often cheap for a reason. You will typically get what you pay for.

PM me for specific referrals. I'm not in the business of hosting and get no kickbacks. I've been with one primary host for over a decade. They're not perfect but they do a good job. I'm sure there are many like them around the country so you can see similarities.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    If you're technically proficient and plan on having a low traffic or personal use only site I would get a domain name and host it yourself.

If not, of if you'd rather have someone else worry about keeping the servers patched and running I've had good luck with www.1and1.com hosting (I'm lazy, what can I say ). I've had an account with them for over 4 years now. I've no idea how things look price-wise now, but when I set it all up it was competitive and came recommended by others.
    Last edited by lacrosse50; February 21st, 2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Updated link
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Some suggestions:

iPage
    Justhost
    Bluehost
    FatCow

Good luck.
    IDPA, USPSA, NRA & USCCA!

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    BlueHost is really good. Some companies have user's that 'throttle' or use too much bandwidth on the server. We do not see this problem with BlueHost.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Rivers has some good starting points... I do this for a living, and your question is a little broad... like, "what's the best gun?"

Best for what purpose...? The hosting for the RamRod blog should be pretty much free. The hosting for RamRodMart.com might run you hundreds per month for huge traffic.

Right now I'm using Hostgator, and I think they have some of the best support out there. To my mind, support is a paramount concern.

I have to respectfully disagree with Shadowsbane on GoDaddy... IMHO, their support is the absolute worst. I left GoDaddy in a stuttering rage...

PM me anytime if I can help at all...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Godaddy is good in the some of the same ways that Windows is.

You don't need to know a great deal about it in order to use it, and it is easily available, but far from the ideal option.

Also, much like Windows, people who are "in the business" tend to not be able to stand it.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

+1 on PointnClick's comments regarding identifying a purpose before identifying your hosting provider.

-1 to all who have issues with GoDaddy (I will elaborate)

My opinion about GoDaddy given that I am not running a business with their services is that they are a reputable provider with a broad selection of services available to me at excellent prices.

I happen to use both GoDaddy domain name services and GoDaddy hosting services. I also have familiarity (but not personal experience) with GoDaddy professional services -- my brother is a professional web designer and he swears by them and recommends them for all his clients. But that's his experience and opinion, not mine, so take it with whatever grain of salt you choose.

I have used GoDaddy for a personal vanity website of some size and substance, many pages etc. etc. and been happy, never had reliability issues. All "technical" work was done by my previously mentioned professional brother.

I also am currently toying with a new blog which I have decided will be entirely owned and operated by me. No outside technical support for its creation and maintenance beyond what communication with GoDaddy is required. Having a great time with this, but I'll admit its a newer effort and doesn't have 5-ish years of happy GoDaddy behind it like the above vanity site.

Lastly, separate from GoDaddy, I am currently engaged in the creation of two separate Wordpress blogs. If you are interested in doing a blog rather than a website or online store, I would be happy to share my newbie experiences and learnings with you. There may be other, better sources here if you're looking for a Wordpress expert.

Just my 2cents.

Michele

a last thought: GoDaddy is but one of many many many hosting companies. They have a wide selection and good prices, but going somewhere else with your business would not exactly be a "mistake" in my eyes.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

VIP Member

Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What are some of the best, easiest, cost effective, etc....web hosting outfits? All opinions or links and such. I'm not interested in tutorials, just your opinions from those who have created their own websites and developed them through a hosting service. I know there are a ton of options. I have five domains and I'm ready to get a couple of them going real soon. Thanks.
    Go Daddy is ptobably least expensive.

Then there is FatCow.

You can also check out Network Solutions.

It all depends on what you want to do.

My system is large and uses a remote AT&T T-3.

It just depends on what you need.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    No specifics. Purpose counts. If you are going to be selling stuff through the site you need a host and software that can handle that chore. If you are going to be putting up a bulletin board such as this one or a phpBB, you need a host and server that can handle the software and the functionality.

If all you want is a two page site for advertising, no feed back and no sales, you have lots more options.

I think it is best to try to use a host who is in your local and with whom you can have face to face chats if necessary. Its the internet. Stuff happens. Better to be able to go on in to an office to get things fixed than deal by e-mail with Rahul in Mumbai.

If you are going to offer services/sales through the site, keeping the spammers, the junk merchants, and the clowns out will be one of your biggest headaches. It sometimes seems to me that half of Eastern Europe is trying to make money pushing spam.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I have used Avahost for years. Their prices are very good, their 24/7 support is excellent, and have never had any downtime.

Their least expensive plan is $4.95 a month if you buy 2 years at a time. $6.27 a month if you buy 1 year. It comes with the first domain name included in the price, and you can add up to 5 domain names. You get 150GB of storage and 1500GB/month bandwidth.

Of course you can get more expensive plans with up to 550GB storage and 4500GB/month bandwidth, and the prices really aren't that bad. They also have reseller plans if you want to be a hosting company yourself.

Compare Web Hosting Plans - AvaHost.Net - Shared web hosting service at low costs.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links