Have you been a 'victim' of crime?

This is a discussion on Have you been a 'victim' of crime? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A citizen can never ever be a "victim" of a "crime". That's because the definition of "crime" is, "an offense against the dignity of the ...

View Poll Results: Have you been a 'victim' of crime?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Armed robbery by firearm

13 11.50%
  • Armed robbery by other weapon

6 5.31%
  • Strong arm robbery

8 7.08%
  • Burglary, occupied home

6 5.31%
  • Burglary, unoccupied home

41 36.28%
  • Assault with firearm

10 8.85%
  • Assault with other weapon

14 12.39%
  • Assault without weapon

21 18.58%
  • Other

26 23.01%
  • None

22 19.47%
  • Single assailant

32 28.32%
  • Multiple assailants

21 18.58%
  • I was armed and resisted

11 9.73%
  • I was armed but didn't resist

0 0%
  • I was unarmed and resisted

19 16.81%
  • I was unarmed and didn't resist

15 13.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you been a 'victim' of crime?

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.

Pet Peeve Triggered

A citizen can never ever be a "victim" of a "crime". That's because the definition of "crime" is, "an offense against the dignity of the Sovereign State against which it will prosecute and punish in its own name." Thus, the only possible victim of a "crime" is the state.

A citizen may well be the victim of a tort or a "tortious act" from exactly the same facts and circumstances giving rise to the crime. For example, the sovereign's dignity is offended when one of her subjects is struck by another of her subjects, without cause, justification, or excuse. That's the crime of "battery". Similarly, the person struck has his own cause of action, as the victim of the tort of "battery".

A "tort" is "a civil wrong other than a simple breach of contract."
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    A citizen can never ever be a "victim" of a "crime". That's because the definition of "crime" is, "an offense against the dignity of the Sovereign State against which it will prosecute and punish in its own name." Thus, the only possible victim of a "crime" is the state.

A citizen may well be the victim of a tort or a "tortious act" from exactly the same facts and circumstances giving rise to the crime. For example, the sovereign's dignity is offended when one of her subjects is struck by another of her subjects, without cause, justification, or excuse. That's the crime of "battery". Similarly, the person struck has his own cause of action, as the victim of the tort of "battery".

whaaat???
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

VIP Member
    I checked burglary of an occupied home; but didn't know what to put in the section on response.

The thieves entered only the garage, and I didn't know they were there. The police called it "burglary of a habitation" because the garage is part of the , structure of the house but the thieves never entered the occupied portion.

I have also been the victim of assault by a drunk, which fortunately ended well but came within in a whisker of my getting badly hurt.

I was not armed, and it would have done no good. It happened too fast and too unexpectedly.

I have had stuff stolen from a storage area, and I have had a trespasser during the day who clearly broke the lock on a privacy fence to gain access to the back yard. He took off when I confronted him. I was happy to let him run because I thought he was going to be trapped in the fenced area. He wasn't, because he had not jumped the fence, rather he had broken the lock and let himself in through an open 6 foot high wooden door.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary
    crime (krm)
    n.
    1. An act committed or omitted in violation of a law forbidding or commanding it and for which punishment is imposed upon conviction.
    2. Unlawful activity: statistics relating to violent crime.
    3. A serious offense, especially one in violation of morality.
    4. An unjust, senseless, or disgraceful act or condition: It's a crime to squander our country's natural resources.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I put "unarmed assailant" and "unarmed but resisted" but in truth, (no judgements) this poll and associated responses sort of assumes a single event, with potential multiple events being registered by including alternate selections however they may apply.

I was the victim of a charismatic sociopath who wormed his way into my life and then, one day, inexplicably, switched on the crazy.

For me, the event duration was greater than one day, and getting the **** out of my life required serious strategy, tactics, and a very difficult to invoke involvement of the police and my family. Neighbors, landlord, close-by authority figures were uninterested and unhelpful.

There you have it.

PS/Edit: a comment re "unarmed": turned out my sociopath was a felon, who believing himself acting in accordance with the law which required him to stay away from "firearms", one day held a bb gun to my head when he saw a police car in my parking lot. He thought the cop was there for him (that day it wasn't)
    Last edited by merischino; February 22nd, 2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Clarification of what "unarmed" meant to my assailant

Checked "other"

Had a piece of brick thrown through the window of my Chevette parked on the street next to my college in Chicago, to steal the cheap CB radio inside. My former roommate who worked campus security saw him finishing the act but was unable to catch him. Then after I checked the damage others leaned in while I was gone and stole the loose change from the center tray.

Really?

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Statistically speaking, if you were the victim of one crime, particularly of theft of violence you have been or will be the victim of multiple instances.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Got shot in a domestic dispute about 10 years ago... trust me, that sucks...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Had a break in while I was sleeping. Creepy thing is, before my girlfriend and I went to sleep she said she thought she saw something. We were watching a horror movie and I just brushed it off.

I left my cell and wallet in my motorcycle pants downstairs. Both were gone, but my keys and bike were still there. All of my roommates video games, and some of mine, along with various electronics were stolen.

Had my car opened up because my girlfriend was stupid enough to not lock her door (I have a wrangler, no automatic locks). Happened again a few months later for the same reason. Funny thing is, I started checking her door after she got out and she would constantly get mad at me. "You don't trust me!" Well no, not with my car since the only 2 times it has been ransacked was because you left the door unlocked.

I decided to carry after a friend was robbed at gunpoint. He did as well.

About a month ago I stopped some guys trying to go into my car after they asked for change. Waited until I went inside and tried to get into the car. I watched upstairs and when they didn't leave, stopped at my car and began poking around I came out yelling and called the cops after they left (stupid, I know).

Nothing else since I have started carrying... although there have been a few times a hobo is a little too forceful trying to ask for change.
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

victim

I've been robbed at gun point,or should I say shotgun. The a-holes fired once cracked my brothers head open with the muzzle.I was 18 at the time,but after that I knew once I turned 21 I was gonna get my ccl.
    Soon after that incident I for got all bout getting my conceal carry license.
    Then was mugged & beaten pretty bad by 4 guys.
    Then a few years later my step brother had issues with some guys, & when tried to reach a pieceful solution ,they pulled bats, & one guy had a gun,I was struck by a maddux handle made of fiberglass right behind my right ear, took that guy wit me.
    Then on thanksgiving nite,someone stole my car from on front of my home @ 9:45 pm, the dumb nut was busted @10:15 ,but he wasn't charged with auto theft only with posession of stolen property. I told the cops I saw him & descibed him to the cops,yet the DA wouldn't go to trial,cut a deal & let dude out on probation, & I was out a car & the thousands spent rebuilding an import tuner that did mid 13's on the track.
    After that & that show on history channel finally reminded me of all my past expierences,& when the insurance company basically f'd me, that's when I wentp & got my carry permit.
    Only drew down on someone once,they opted the easy &safe solution & ran. No one hurt.

.45 Taurus Millenium Pro PT145
    .40 XD sub-compact,finger extension (nice)
    .38 Taurus Ultra-Lite +P
    .380 Ruger LCP
    12 gauge pistol grip mossberg, rollingthunder with ported muzzle stabalizer ,aka the doorkknocker.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links