Attn Urban Cowboys: Walking On Concrete in Boots?

This is a discussion on Attn Urban Cowboys: Walking On Concrete in Boots? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Used to wear boots all the time...and kinda liked the thud of my heels on the floor. But for the last 10 years or so, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attn Urban Cowboys: Walking On Concrete in Boots?

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Used to wear boots all the time...and kinda liked the thud of my heels on the floor.

But for the last 10 years or so, it's been the constant thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap of flip flops... no stealth there, either...

But, if I've dressed up in some Sperry Topsiders for a fancy dinner out... now, those are quiet. That's Florida... wish I could help more...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    I don't wear them day in, day out but I enjoy the noise!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I wore my cowboy boots every day (and on some trips) to sleep. rode a harley with cowboy boots (They were COMPLETELY F'ed up) but I loved them. Bought some biker boots and I personally like the sound. (Of course I work with 15 women and it gives them a headsup that I am comeing around a corner) but honestly if it bothers you that other people stare use other boots for work and your cowboy boots for when you are on your own. For me thats like saying "Well I stopped riding my HD/muscle car/race bike, because people kept staring at me."
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I like the clunk. But get to your local Shoe Repair store and have them put softer rubber soles on them.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I have found that if they're too big, they'll klunk. If they fit, they will tap, but not the bass-drum-klunk.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Rubber soles are the way to go. Lucchese makes a great boot, no doubt about it, but every pair of Ariat's that I have ever put on have been super comfortable and much cheaper than the Lucchese's.

Quote Originally Posted by cwaturner View Post
    Rubber soles are the way to go. Lucchese makes a great boot, no doubt about it, but every pair of Ariat's that I have ever put on have been super comfortable and much cheaper than the Lucchese's.
    I got mine used -- already broken in, and a little scuffed up -- for $20.

One of these days I might treat myself and drive down to Nogales to buy some Paul Bond's.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatCWP View Post
    Alright,

I realize that cowboy boots were not meant for more walking than the 25 paces from the hitchin' post to the end of the bar, but do you guys who do wear them day-in/day-out have any advice for making them work in urban environments?

Actually, the undercut heel of the typical cowboy boot is the Spanish “WALKING” heel and is great for walking. I have torn cartilage in both knees and ligaments in one and have had surgery twice on one knee and three times on the other; and my orthopedist recommended western boots because the raised, undercut heel reduces strain on the knee and helps send the impact shock of walking straight up the leg bones.

If the sound of walking on hard surfaces is a bother have your boots resoled with a softer rubber as has already been suggested.

ALL I wear is boots, unless I am in shorts.
    Sometimes they clunk, most times they don't.
    Not really answering your question, just adding my .02.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

One of these days I might treat myself and drive down to Nogales to buy some Paul Bond's.[/QUOTE]

Thats the way to go, Ropers also make a little less noise and are much more comfortable for all day wear. A buddy of mine in Tucson gets a new pair from Paul ever couple of years. Once you go the first time they keep your measurements on file.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Ebay could be your friend. I've bought several pairs of Ariat on Ebay. Save big buckaroos.
    Ariat is the only brand boot I will buy anymore. They generally only come with rubber soles. They are more comfortable than tennis shoes on my feet but they do make a little more noise.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Have a couple pairs of Ariats which are real comfy, but they've started to "squeek" a bit.

Can highly recommend Justin "Ranch & Road" work boots. Price is right, very confortable and durable.

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I used to clunk around a lot in my leather soled Justins and my Tony Lamas. I didn't mind it too much, but my girlfriend started making jokes. Got old, and I bought some rubber soled Ariats...most comfortable boot I've owned really, but that may just be because though experience I knew exactly the fit I wanted. No more clunking, and I really only wear my leather soles when I take the girl out dancing.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I have Harley Work boots, and they clunk just like my westerns used to. They are rubber soles and are suppose to be good for slip resistant (wouldnt know it by the bottom, will take pics later)
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

My experience Cowboy boots & cement = painful feet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links