Converting an Airsoft Rifle into a Real Machine Gun? - Page 2

Converting an Airsoft Rifle into a Real Machine Gun?

This is a discussion on Converting an Airsoft Rifle into a Real Machine Gun? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There are already several plastic AR lowers on the market that work quite well. Looking at the airsoft lower in post #4, it would be ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Converting an Airsoft Rifle into a Real Machine Gun?

Senior Moderator
    There are already several plastic AR lowers on the market that work quite well.

Looking at the airsoft lower in post #4, it would be very simple to make one work with standard full auto fire control components.

All one would have to do is drill out the holes that are already spotted. That one even has the hole above the selector for the auto sear.
    If the internal configuration is even close, I guarantee you it could work and you'd have a full auto weapon for cheap.

Although many of us consider the ATF to be awfully heavy handed in some of the more publicized cases, this one doesn't appear to be one of them. It looks to me that even though it sounds ridiculous when we first read of it, their actions had merit.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    ATF does not regulate air guns.

It would be very unlike ATF to publicly comment anything about Air-guns.

If they did, the spokes person was speaking out of line.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    There are already several plastic AR lowers on the market that work quite well.

Looking at the airsoft lower in post #4, it would be very simple to make one work with standard full auto fire control components.

All one would have to do is drill out the holes that are already spotted. That one even has the hole above the selector for the auto sear.
    If the internal configuration is even close, I guarantee you it could work and you'd have a full auto weapon for cheap.

Although many of us consider the ATF to be awfully heavy handed in some of the more publicized cases, this one doesn't appear to be one of them. It looks to me that even though it sounds ridiculous when we first read of it, their actions had merit.
    It is not easy but not impossible.

Be aware, we are technically at war.

I can make almost any gun including quality air guns fully auto but it is not legal.

When you post stuff like this on the WORLD wide INTERNET you are not helping.

What were you thinking and why?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Moderator
    I can make any gun for myself and it is completely legal, as can most citizens of the U.S. that can own a gun.

This info is widely published on the net and has been for years.

What I was trying to convey here was that the ATF more than likely had some very good reasons for intercepting the shipment of AirSoft guns because it is very likely that they were nothing more than a cover for illegal receivers. There is usually always more to the story that what we see reported in the news media.

Have you even read this thread or are you just making assumptions?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    I can make any gun for myself and it is completely legal, as can most citizens of the U.S. that can own a gun.

This info is widely published on the net and has been for years.

What I was trying to convey here was that the ATF more than likely had some very good reasons for intercepting the shipment of AirSoft guns because it is very likely that they were nothing more than a cover for illegal receivers. There is usually always more to the story that what we see reported in the news media.

Have you even read this thread or are you just making assumptions?
    Thank you and yes I have read this thread.

I try my best not to make assumptions.

I can do things that you can do.

I do not advise posting what you know over the INTERNET. I have my reasons for asking this of you.
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    I have seen guys make working guns out of pipes and junk. I am sure someone could make a high end airsoft fire real bullets.
    Exactly.

Are pipes illegal because you could make a machinegun out of them??

What I was trying to convey here was...it is very likely that they were nothing more than a cover for illegal receivers.
    This is more like a possibility I would worry about. This would imply that they are ACTUAL GUN PARTS, not just something that 'could be made into a gun part'.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Ok... I think we have too many people worried about a very remote possibility... First off I don't see criminal masterminds buying airsoft toys and spending days stripping them down and building machine guns. They will just smuggle in the whole deal and call it a day.

I just think some agents wanted to justify their existance. Maybe they found a container or got a tip off about the shipment. Finding they are airsoft probably made them somewhat irritated. By saying "ohmehgosh its a matchine gunz part" makes it sound like they are doing service to the country by keeping this dangerous toy off the street.

Its basically like customs taking the $200 bottle of wine you bought because its contraban under section 385.2834 number pulled out of their bum... (then they take the bottle to the back and enjoy it)

All the comments about saying its easily converted is speculation. The lower may not even fit a real upper unless someone tries it.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I was an Airsoft Kiddie a long time ago. My M4 airsoft rife was all metal, looked and weighed the same as my uncles AR15. Its rails accepted all normal accessories and the whole kit cost almost as much as a used real gun (~1000$)
    It would accept a real military magazines loaded with real ammo.

BUT THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL YOU COULD CONVERT IT TO SHOOT REAL AMMO!!!

The internals are just too different. And even if you had a CNC machine shop set up to make real parts there is no way to make it work because of the cutouts for electric motors wiring etch that make up the piston and gears etc that an airsoft gun requires to fire.

It would be cheaper to simply mill your own complete setup from a solid block of aluminum.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

You guys are assuming that someone wants to convert a airsoft gun.

What about if they were disquised as airsoft but were really real recievers just to get them in the country?

Sounds like it could happen.

Hmmm:

30 pellet guns
    suspicious-looking container
    marked "toys and parts"

Probably a few details left out of the story...otherwise, seems like a lot of to-do about 30 pellet guns.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Administrator
    Some of you guys are missing the bigger picture here; forget about the airsoft guns, and think receivers. Those are the only parts that the ATF considers to be firearms. Forget the internals, forget the barrels and any other mechanism. The key here is the receiver. Once you have a lower receiver, the rest is easy.

We do not know what the receivers in the story were made of. The might be the typical pot metal or plastic junk found in toys. They might of been super high quality. Or most likely, somewhere in between.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Some of you guys are missing the bigger picture here; forget about the airsoft guns, and think receivers. Those are the only parts that the ATF considers to be firearms. Forget the internals, forget the barrels and any other mechanism. The key here is the receiver. Once you have a lower receiver, the rest is easy.

We do not know what the receivers in the story were made of. The might be the typical pot metal or plastic junk found in toys. They might of been super high quality. Or most likely, somewhere in between.
    High quality metal receivers are available for most AR-15 type Air soft Rifles.

ATF does not regulate Air-guns. Period.

ATF is Justice Department they can only enforce law if the law has been broken. More likely, ATF would refer to local state police and or FBI for investigation.
    - Zen Saying

Senior Moderator
    High quality metal receivers are available for most AR-15 type Air soft Rifles
    And if they can accept "real" parts, then whats the difference? Is it any stretch of the imagination to say that a lower Airsoft part could double as an actual AR lower receiver? I'm sure there are engineers out there that could do it.

Y'all arent giving the ATF much credit here. I'm sure that most of them(the field agents) can tell the difference between a plastic part that cant be used for anything other than airsoft and one that can made be into a real gun.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

My guess is if the ATF made a stink about it, there was a fairly good reason.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    And if they can accept "real" parts, then whats the difference? Is it any stretch of the imagination to say that a lower Airsoft part could double as an actual AR lower receiver? I'm sure there are engineers out there that could do it.

Y'all arent giving the ATF much credit here. I'm sure that most of them(the field agents) can tell the difference between a plastic part that cant be used for anything other than airsoft and one that can made be into a real gun.
    I do give ATF much credit. They are the poor step children of our government now under the jurisdiction of the US Justice Department. They serve a purpose and are good People to work with if you are not a Bad Guy. They do not investigate air guns. It is not their job.
    - Zen Saying

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links