Converting an Airsoft Rifle into a Real Machine Gun?

This is a discussion on Converting an Airsoft Rifle into a Real Machine Gun? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm no gunsmith, but this has got to be a joke: Gun shipment under investigation Customs officials at the Port of Tacoma seized a shipment ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Converting an Airsoft Rifle into a Real Machine Gun?

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar

I'm no gunsmith, but this has got to be a joke:

Gun shipment under investigation
    Customs officials at the Port of Tacoma seized a shipment of 30 pellet guns that officials say could have been modified into machine guns.

An investigation is under way after U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers discovered the Airsoft guns Feb. 8 in a suspicious-looking container. The shipment, labeled “Toys and Parts,” was worth about $10,000 and arrived at the port in October from a manufacturer in Taiwan, Customs and Border Protection spokesman Doug McBride said.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives determined that the rifles were equipped to shoot plastic balls but could be converted into machine guns firing live ammunition.

“You couldn’t tell by weight or feel” that the guns were fake, ATF spokeswoman Cheryl Bishop said. “Most people would be hard-pressed to tell the difference, and that’s why we were so concerned.”

The metal pellet guns had the same size, weight and appearance of an M-4 automatic rifle, the weapon used by the U.S. military. The rifles did not have serial numbers on them, as real guns would, but they also did not have the orange-blaze tip required for all imported toy guns.

“You could slide a magazine in there. They load and charge very realistically, very much like the real thing,” Bishop said.

The ATF also determined that the shipment did not arrive with the proper permits to enter the United States. The guns will be destroyed.
    From the KOMO News version:
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents determined that the rifles as shipped from Taiwan were tooled to shoot plastic balls. However ATF says a relatively quick retooling could allow them to fire live ammunition.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Guys, it's the ATF. They're never wrong... >_>

But seriously, B/S all the way. I wouldn't think it's possible.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

our tax dollars at work?

I think the ATF just wanted some new BB guns.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

There are high end AR-15 style airsoft guns that use metal upper and lower receivers in a very similar pattern to the real deal. Here's an example:

There are metal ones available as well. I can see why the BATFE would be concerned about aluminum airsoft lowers that look to me like they could accomodate real parts. Look up "systema" brand airsoft guns.

Administrator
    I dont know much about airsoft guns, but I do know a little about guns in general and the ATF.
    High airsoft makers do pride themselves in making very realistic clones of the real deal. They probably do use an actual receiver pattern or mold to make their guns. Now also consider what the ATF definition of a firearm is. If that lower will match up with real parts, or even if it remotely is close, its a no go.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Not possible. The action on airsoft is not designed to handle a real cartridge.

That said, many of the high end airsoft guns do look and feel real.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Its just DEA being dumb.

The good airsoft guns are full metal uppers and lowers and disassemble pretty much just like the real AR's.Some of them are full scale replica's. I could see why they would think something is up with them. But it is just the agents not knowing anything about the airsoft weapons.

I have a airsoft glock 17 replica that fools people all day long,I'll even lock the slide back and everything and they think its real untill I shoot it and even then they ask where i got the 22 cal glock.lol

I figured it wouldn't be long before they started fussing about the airsofts.I really hope they don't start banning these as I think they are awesome for training purposes. But in the wrong hands I guess they could be bad. I own a few and even I probably wouldn't know the difference if someone pulled one of the good ones on me.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

pax
    I suspect that even if you did manage to convert one (after spending a day in a fully equipped machine shop), you'd just have a very expensive pipe bomb, more dangerous to the user than to anyone in front of him.

It'll be interesting (and probably depressing) to watch this one play out.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I'm thinking if you could match up an upper with FA BCG and the lower in Dnowell pic has the hole for the FA sear,you put in an M16 Fire control group and you got a select fire gun.
    If Dnowell pic of the Lower receiver is accurate then it looks like you could very easily convert that lower and I can see why the ATF was concerned
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The ATF needs to be dis-banded. This is a pathetic excuse for legitimate use of taxpayer dollars.

Administrator
    I agree with pax. Even if the parts were made of metal - The metal would be toy grade "pot metal" and even IF (a BIG if) the firearm could be converted to chamber a real cartridge, the firearm would simply explode due to excessive pressure.

Senior Moderator
    There could be more to the story...

What if the receivers could be used to make a live fire weapon?

What if the "airsoft" was nothing more than a cover to bring in new recievers, without serial numbers and without the proper liscensing?

Replace the plastic and cheapo pot metal parts in the lower with the real thing.Mate it up to real gunparts and PRESTO! You have a genuine lower with no serial number and a working gun that no one knows about. Sounds pretty ingenious to me.

Stranger things have happened.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    The article is fairly ambiguous as to exactly what parts made it a fully automatic "machine gun". I would assume it must have an auto sear of some sort.

As a fairly experienced machinist, it would be fairly easy to take a close fitting M4-like receiver from an airsoft and match a AR upper on it. I have even seen a home made AR lower made from scratch out of aluminum plates bolts, and a milling machine (with the correct ATF paperwork). All the serious forces are contained within the upper (which one can buy in the mail). I fully expect to see a lot plastic AR lowers in the near future. The new Magpul rifles have a great deal of plastic...

It is also possible someone was attempting to smuggle firearms into the country by making them look like toys. (why is anyone's guess considering how easy it is to get an illegal firearm)

At any rate, it looks like someone was doing something they shouldn't have and I am glad they were caught. Not everything the ATF and border patrol does is bad. Even with the lame info given, I do believe that these "airsoft" are probably close enough to a firearm to be considered one.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Not possible. The action on airsoft is not designed to handle a real cartridge.

That said, many of the high end airsoft guns do look and feel real.
    If you take the lower receiver that has all the holes and stuff drilled just like on the real deal and you install an M16 fire control group,install buffer and spring with collapsible stock,then you mate a real upper receiver with an M16 Bolt Carrier Group and you are talking rock and roll
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have seen guys make working guns out of pipes and junk. I am sure someone could make a high end airsoft fire real bullets.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links