The saga continues..input welcome

This is a discussion on The saga continues..input welcome within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As some of you know, I'm having a considerable better time of employment this year, than last for which I am very thankful. Some will ...

Thread: The saga continues..input welcome

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar

The saga continues..input welcome

As some of you know, I'm having a considerable better time of employment this year, than last for which I am very thankful.

Some will also remember that awhile ago I was interviewing with a group in Seattle and Portland OR, eventually losing out to local candidates. (I'm in TN) So I accepted a position in Nashville (about 200miles from my current town-living out of a suitcase for now).

Now I've started this job, which I'm thankful for, but I am worried about the stability of the position as their finances are precarious.

Last Thursday I was contacted by the group in Seattle. Their local hire did not work out. She became pregnant and does not want to keep working. According to them I was their favorite candidate, but she ultimately got the nod because she was local, and spoke Vietnamese. (I can learn quickly- I'm a polyglot)

Anyway, the HR rep indicated that if I was still interested, they would ready an offer with relocation assistance. I said yes, I would happily consider it.

Several hours later I received an email stating they were arranging a visit to Seattle and the client sites for me, and they would be in contact with details.

This is all good news, but it is problematic for two reasons:

1) Taking a day or two "personal time" at the new job already to go to Seattle will likely upset the General Manager, as I am told she has nearly unreasonable attendance expectations. SO..if I ended up NOT going to the Seattle group, I'll have bruised the relationship for awhile at the current job.

2) Though the group in Seattle will pay for the trip, we're still in catch up mode financially, and missing a day or more could put us a week behind our budget.

I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to tell the Seattle group that I don't need to visit to accept the position. (I know I want to work for them, and aside from the left lean, I really like the area).

I don't know if they want me to visit for their own reasons, or are just offering for my benefit, and I really don't know how to ask, or if I should ask?

Should I just let it play out, and go for the visit?

Should I try to beg off of the trip and just ask for the formal offer now?

My gut says to just play it out their way, and accept the risk at the current job and suck it up about the lost pay for a few days, but I'm not sure.

Opinions?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

2. Remove Ads

Just ask. Pick up the phone and have a discussion with the hiring manager (not the HR person if at all possible) in Seattle. Find out if this trip is to reassure them that they are making the right choice in you, or if it's more for your benefit, glad-handing, etc. I'd downplay the personal finances part of your reluctance, but offer that it's a little inconvenient due to your work responsibilities at the moment. If they are really firm about your trip, and you're sure it's the right position for you, then you just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Personal time is pretty much a routine thing these days in any industry and for all sorts of reasons. Figure out where your loyalties are (family first, it sounds) and act professionally. Loyalty and respect on the job work both ways. Your current GM probably wouldn't give a rat's patoot about you taking time off from your old job to interview with her, right?

Good luck, and proceed with caution.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

gasmitty seems to have the right idea.

I'd add this: If you already know your current boss is unreasonable about something and you're sure you're going to take the job in Seattle/Portland, why care about what she thinks? She is unreasonable, right?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Have you already interviewed for the Seattle job in person? If not, this trip is probably mandatory. Most people won't hire someone they've never met in person. For this, you're going to have to bite the bullet if you want the job. See if you can arrange it so that it minimizes the impact on your current job. Play up that angle, and it will show that you have a certain amount of loyalty which your hiring manager will appreciate.

If you've already met the people doing the hiring, you could probably talk them into just making the offer now.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Alright how many people are depending on your pay check at the end of the week?

With out knowing that info above let me put my 2cents. I was in a similar situation about 8months ago before i moved here to Dallas. I was pretty well hired but they asked me to come down and look at the area and meet them face to face(did not have the job yet). But had a job with decent pay and a regular schedule My final decision was the $250 dollars i spent on a ticket and the 2days being away from other job were well worth it.

Im very happy here in Dallas and the pay is better than what it was in Lubbock. So all in all the initial 2days off and 250 hurt my feelings but Was a good investment in myself.

Do you think you have this job in the bag?
    And if so dont you think going and putting a face in front of them lets them know that you are serious and that they want to hire you!!!
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Just ask. Pick up the phone and have a discussion with the hiring manager (not the HR person if at all possible) in Seattle. Find out if this trip is to reassure them that they are making the right choice in you, or if it's more for your benefit, glad-handing, etc. I'd downplay the personal finances part of your reluctance, but offer that it's a little inconvenient due to your work responsibilities at the moment. If they are really firm about your trip, and you're sure it's the right position for you, then you just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Personal time is pretty much a routine thing these days in any industry and for all sorts of reasons. Figure out where your loyalties are (family first, it sounds) and act professionally. Loyalty and respect on the job work both ways. Your current GM probably wouldn't give a rat's patoot about you taking time off from your old job to interview with her, right?

Good luck, and proceed with caution.
    Thanks. Yeah, the personal time thing shouldn't be an issue, but I'm told the current GM is really funny about it. She acts like you're weak or not company committed if you take time off. (one hint this isn't a long term career job for me if I have options)

If I decide to ask, I will call him in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by ExHippie View Post
    gasmitty seems to have the right idea.

I'd add this: If you already know your current boss is unreasonable about something and you're sure you're going to take the job in Seattle/Portland, why care about what she thinks? She is unreasonable, right?
    Thanks Ex. The only reason I care is in case Seattle didn't pan out for any reason. Bird in the hand, and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Have you already interviewed for the Seattle job in person? If not, this trip is probably mandatory. Most people won't hire someone they've never met in person. For this, you're going to have to bite the bullet if you want the job. See if you can arrange it so that it minimizes the impact on your current job. Play up that angle, and it will show that you have a certain amount of loyalty which your hiring manager will appreciate.

If you've already met the people doing the hiring, you could probably talk them into just making the offer now.
    That's what's weird. This is a very tech-centric company. Though we haven't met onsite FTF, all but one of the 5-6 interviews I've done with them was via video conference, so it feels like it shouldn't be mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by mitocondriac View Post
    Alright how many people are depending on your pay check at the end of the week?

With out knowing that info above let me put my 2cents. I was in a similar situation about 8months ago before i moved here to Dallas. I was pretty well hired but they asked me to come down and look at the area and meet them face to face(did not have the job yet). But had a job with decent pay and a regular schedule My final decision was the $250 dollars i spent on a ticket and the 2days being away from other job were well worth it.

Im very happy here in Dallas and the pay is better than what it was in Lubbock. So all in all the initial 2days off and 250 hurt my feelings but Was a good investment in myself.

Do you think you have this job in the bag?
    And if so dont you think going and putting a face in front of them lets them know that you are serious and that they want to hire you!!!
    Yeah, that's one of my points. After such a ROTTEN year last year, I get almost panic stricken over the thought of losing a day's pay right now, or potentially jeopardizing the current job. I KNOW the Seattle job is a better opportunity and well worth the risk (my wife is in agreement), so I'll probably just suck it up and go, but it's nice to get your opinions in case I'm missing something.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Good luck brother
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    I'm told the current GM is really funny about it. She acts like you're weak or not company committed if you take time off.
    Yeah...this should a key indicator to leave. I've worked for a boss like this...hell on earth.

Unless they are paying you 24hrs/day, the GM should get bent. She sounds like she's a potential EO complaint...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by mitocondriac View Post
    Good luck brother
    Thanks friend!

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Yeah...this should a key indicator to leave. I've worked for a boss like this...hell on earth.

Unless they are paying you 24hrs/day, the GM should get bent. She sounds like she's a potential EO complaint...
    Yeah, they're are a few clues whey they've lost managers. Right now though, it's ok, and it's a decent paycheck....unless/until this other deal pans out.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Administrator
    Here is what I would do;

First, I'd never tell them I'd accept the position without the visit. This puts you in a bad position when neg. salary, and might make you look desperate.
    Second, with your current employer I'd also tread lightly. As you stated, you need the paycheck. I wouldn't give them any idea that you are still looking for another job. At the same time, I think you need to based on the company finances and the managers expectations.
    So, would it be possible to flex your time? Lets say you need to go to Seattle on Monday and Tuesday. Could you make those days up over the weekend? I'd come up with some excuse as to why you can't be there, but offer to make up the time missed on what would normally be your days off.
    Just a thought.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Decent employers like to see dedication and respect in potential employees.

Simply be honest with them, but leave the finances out. Tell them you are very interested in the position but you have responsibilities with your current employer. You need to work out a schedule that works for THEM and your CURRENT EMPLOYER ( not one that works for YOU). If they cannot understand this, trust me you don't want to work for them either.

Ask the potential employer for permission to ask your current employer for a set of dates that you can take off. If they agree then simply explain to your GM that you need to take off two days in a row to finish up some personal business. Apologize for having to do this( really dress it up good) and ask her if she can let you know what days are best for her. Then give those dates to the potential employer, apologizing to them as well for having to do it this way(dress this one up good too, all about obligation, respect, etc.).

Or just get the dates from them, tell her you need off those days.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Here is what I would do;

First, I'd never tell them I'd accept the position without the visit. This puts you in a bad position when neg. salary, and might make you look desperate.

Good point Sixto. I guess somehow I missed that. Thanks.

Second, with your current employer I'd also tread lightly. As you stated, you need the paycheck. I wouldn't give them any idea that you are still looking for another job. Agree. I would simply take my personal time without discussion.

At the same time, I think you need to based on the company finances and the managers expectations.

So, would it be possible to flex your time? Lets say you need to go to Seattle on Monday and Tuesday. Could you make those days up over the weekend? I'd come up with some excuse as to why you can't be there, but offer to make up the time missed on what would normally be your days off. Not very likely, but I may be able to swing something.

Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    Decent employers like to see dedication and respect in potential employees.

Simply be honest with them, but leave the finances out. Tell them you are very interested in the position but you have responsibilities with your current employer. You need to work out a schedule that works for THEM and your CURRENT EMPLOYER ( not one that works for YOU). If they cannot understand this, trust me you don't want to work for them either.

Yeah, I have no plans to tell them I can't afford the time off. They already indicated they'd work with my schedule too, but in reality, no particular time is going to make my current GM happy.

Ask the potential employer for permission to ask your current employer for a set of dates that you can take off. If they agree then simply explain to your GM that you need to take off two days in a row to finish up some personal business. Apologize for having to do this( really dress it up good) and ask her if she can let you know what days are best for her. Then give those dates to the potential employer, apologizing to them as well for having to do it this way(dress this one up good too, all about obligation, respect, etc.).

Or just get the dates from them, tell her you need off those days.
    Thanks guys. Good points.
    I think I'm going to plan on making the trip. I'll try to make it as painless as possible for the current job, but I'm afraid It's going to cost me "points" no matter what.
    Luckily, my wife agrees the risk is worth it in this case.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Here is what I would do;

Second, with your current employer I'd also tread lightly. As you stated, you need the paycheck. I wouldn't give them any idea that you are still looking for another job. At the same time, I think you need to based on the company finances and the managers expectations.
    So, would it be possible to flex your time? Lets say you need to go to Seattle on Monday and Tuesday. Could you make those days up over the weekend? I'd come up with some excuse as to why you can't be there, but offer to make up the time missed on what would normally be your days off.
    Just a thought.
    ^^^^YEP^^^^

I was thinking that perhaps contact Seattle and see if you can't come on the weekend;
    This may show them you have dedication to your present job,,
    JMHO

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass." - Trooper M. Padgett
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links