But wait... it gets worse...

This is a discussion on But wait... it gets worse... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I wasn't sure where to post this little tale... it isn't gun-related, and it is mildly humorous in its' epic stupidity, so it might belong ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: But wait... it gets worse...

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

But wait... it gets worse...

I wasn't sure where to post this little tale... it isn't gun-related, and it is mildly humorous in its' epic stupidity, so it might belong over there... and for all I know, it made the local news, so it might go there... but I thought LEOs would relate the best...

I was visiting with my family this weekend for my niece's 19th birthday. She has a best friend we'll refer to as Julie... they have been BFF's 4evah (since 9th grade), to the point she's pretty much family now, always there for Christmas and Thanksgiving, so her absence was conspicuous this weekend.

Julie has always been something of a party girl... I was a wild teen myself, and I can spot the breed instantly. There were some incidents of staying out too late, definitely drinking, possibly a little more... well now, at the age of 20 and out on her own, she's ramped it up. The drinking age here is 21, and I've heard she's really been partying.

As somebody that has been to 3 drunk driving funerals before I got out of high school, I did make it a point to mention to her just this past Christmas that not only is underage drinking illegal, but it can also be fatal. But, some people just have to whiz on the electric fence for themselves...

So I ask my niece, "Where's Julie...?"

"Oh, my gawd... why aren't you on FaceBook? She wrecked her car...!"

"Is she OK?"

"No! She broke her leg, her nose, and 2 ribs!"

"Oh, my... "

"But wait... it gets worse. She totaled her car. She was at some bar and when she left, she hit some car in the parking lot."

"Wait a minnit... she's not old enough to be in a bar, is she...? And how fast was she going to total her car in a parking lot?"

"No... but wait... it gets worse... she left the parking lot, but she apparently smashed the whole side of some car... then she went down the road and ran into the back of a car stopped at a red light..."

"Uh-oh... she's toast. Leaving the scene, underage drinking... this is bad."

"But wait... it gets worse. The car she ran into was an undercover cop car."

<Insert sound of my jaw dropping here>

"But wait... it gets worse. The cop (who is OK) was the Lieutenant in charge of the DUI task force."

<Now thinking I might be the butt of a joke> "You are kidding, right?"

"But wait... it gets worse. When she was asked for her ID, she gave them a fake ID." (Florida licenses have laser-etched holograms in them... don't ask me how anyone has a fake ID anymore)

And, just to stick the landing, she blew a 1.8 BAC (.08 is the limit) FOUR HOURS after the accident in the hospital.

Just... wow... multiple felonies here... this has gotta be some time in county. I'm really sad for her, but she owns this one. Really, really glad she didn't hurt or kill anyone.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

2. Remove Ads

Around here she would be released on O.R. and driving the next morning.....Dumb decisions on her part
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I am a probation officer...see this kind of stuff all the time, and it is still quite funny, but very serious at the same time.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

WOW! That's all, just WOW!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    well... "Julie" is lucky to be alive. God has different plans for her, however Karma wanted to put her in her place.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Hard, but wonderful lesson here. Wonderful because she and everybody else got to live through it.

I have a niece that got in similar (honestly not near as bad) trouble. I'm good friends with the judge and probably could have helped things go easier on her. I told him to throw the book at her.

Administrator
    I hate knocking on doors at dark thirty at night to tell people their kid isn't coming home. I've done that more than once, and that is the worst part of being an LEO. That sucks way more than putting up with a mouthy drunk kid and parents who defend them and pay a for a lawyer to try and get them off.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I've scraped them off the roadside. It's rough when you can't tell for awhile whether they're facing up or down.

A glass of good wine with dinner is one thing, but there are for-reals consequences for overdoing it.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Hope she grows up. Too many people never learn their lesson.

I just never understood drinking that much... guess I'm not cool...
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Hard, but wonderful lesson here. Wonderful because she and everybody else got to live through it.
    That presumes she'll learn anything from it. We'll see. Yes, it's a blessing that she didn't kill anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Around here she would be released on O.R. and driving the next morning.....Dumb decisions on her part
    The sad thing is, this isn't too far from the literal truth. If faced with a full jail of murderers and armed robbers, then such folk don't even show up on the radar when considering if they're an extreme risk to the community. With nowhere to put new arrivals, some get ejected; and with none who can be ejected who are worse than the new arrival, the newbie gets knocked down to minor infractions and quickly released O/R. What a world.

Anarchy's an ugly sink.

And we're not even there yet.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wish I could feel even a little sorry for her - nope, can't!

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Typo in that initial post... should be .18 BAC...

There are few things sadder and more unnecessary that a DUI death. I fully support showing teenagers gory movies that make them puke in Driver's Ed class. The Sheriff in my hometown used to drag a mangled car on a flatbed wrecker and dump it on the front lawn of high schools in my area with a sign that said, "Suzie Smith, age 17, died in this car by drinking and driving..." another scare tactic I whole-heartedly endorse.

I learned the lesson in the 10th grade... four of my friends got in a car with a drunk driver who was driving too fast and slid off the road into some oak trees. One dead, another with a broken back, multiple lesser injuries for the others, and as the cliche' goes, the driver walked away without a scratch. We went to the wrecker yard to see the car... nothing like seeing hamburger and bone splinters where your friend Dave's head was to drive home the lesson.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Julie is your niece's BFF. BFF's influence each other. Apparently your niece is not influencing Julie, so it may very well be the other way around.

Julie = Bad for niece.

Time for Julie to grow up, or for niece to find grown up friends. Lest next time niece ends up in the car with Julie.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Sometimes this is what it takes for people to learn. unfortunatly, this happens quite often.

I have an ex- sister - law... that has totalled cars, gotten arrested on DWI's, been found with her car wrecked into a telephone pole and sleeping it off. I mean , the list goes on and on and on for 30 yrs. She has not spent one night in jail. Somehow, she manages to get out of it and usually the charges dropped. I"ve yet to figure out how she has accomplished that.

Most around here, a 2nd time, it's mandatory jail time,.... and even the first time you lose your license for a year.

I hope her road is a short one and she learns a good lesson, and doesn't turn out like my EX - sister-in-law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links