My gun budget just took a big dent...HELP ADVICE NEEDED

This is a discussion on My gun budget just took a big dent...HELP ADVICE NEEDED within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Buy a PS3, it's a great blu-ray player plus you can play some games if you want, do pictures, etc....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My gun budget just took a big dent...HELP ADVICE NEEDED

Buy a PS3, it's a great blu-ray player plus you can play some games if you want, do pictures, etc.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

2. Remove Ads

darn you people stop saying buy a PS3! Its on my list of "things to get this year." As money is tight though its only going to be 1 of 3 choices: 360, another gun, or the PS3. I'm leaning towards the PS3 vs the 360 only because of what I want to use it for and the added benefit of the blu-ray player (which i probably won't use much of)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    darn you people stop saying buy a PS3! Its on my list of "things to get this year." As money is tight though its only going to be 1 of 3 choices: 360, another gun, or the PS3. I'm leaning towards the PS3 vs the 360 only because of what I want to use it for and the added benefit of the blu-ray player (which i probably won't use much of)
    I watch blu-ray and dvd's with mine, play games, etc. I love love love it.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post

The quality of cable will depend on the quality of your equipment, and the cable legnth. If you buy the cheapest player and the cheapest TV on the market, those will be your limiting factors. If you are transmitting a long distance (say 50') you will want a higher quality cable.
    My dad owns a company that installs home theaters, he is constantly telling people that high cost does not always equal high quality (everyone always assume it does). He uses the long monoprice cables and you cannot tell a difference. At his home he has a dedicated theater room and is using a 100ft HDMI cable with no loss of signal. In his theater room the screen takes up the entire back wall and there are no distortions.

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    I watch blu-ray and dvd's with mine, play games, etc. I love love love it.
    I'm more of a computer gamer the main reason i'm getting it is to stream stuff from my desktop onto my big screen. I'm tired of hooking/unhooking my laptop up all the time plus the colors won't be messed up via PS3 like they are via laptop

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Somebody tel lme what I need to buy.
    Forget all that TV crap. Just go out and buy a new gun.

Monoprice.com
    Monoprice.com
    Monoprice.com

I go there for all cable purchases.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

The worst thing is...I SO did not need to buy a new TV right now. Trying to pay off a honeymoon, a wedding, etc. Wanted a TV but was gonna wait til at least fall It sucks but thats where I am . I will be checking out monoprice when the site goes back up.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Meritline has a 3 pack of 6ft hdmi cables for $7 shipped. I have had good luck w/ HDMI cables at yesbuy.net. HDMI is a digital signal, It either works or doesn't. The high priced analog cable is better shielded, thicker, and have better conductors (gold ends etc.) which better transmit the analog signal. You need high priced analog cables (composite, component, s video, audio) esp. for long runs.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    Monoprice.com
    Monoprice.com
    Monoprice.com

I go there for all cable purchases.
    IIRC.....the FATHER of the guy that runs monoprice.com.....
    Owns Monster Cable!!!!! No kidding!!
    Like father...UNlike son!!!!
    ALL my HDMI and computer cables have come from monoprice.com --
    NOTHING comes close to the quality and price!!
    Visit AVSforum for more rave reviews....

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    If you want a PS3 then settle with DVD until you get the scratch for the PS3 is makes less then no sense to buy a blu ray player now and a PS3 later.

For the HDMI cables... High end ones are nice but not nessesary for the average movie guy. Low end cables are not a good idea also due to the cable connection ends. Unlike coax or RCA which have threads or housing pins to keep it in place the HDMI is a flat cable that rely on pressure from the pins and the fit of the metal housing to keep it in place. Mid-range and high end cables will have good connectors that will keep the cable secure. Low end cables will usually have soft aluminum contact wires that may have a tendency to slip out if you move your TV or accessory you have plugged in. Eventually the pins get too weak to sustain a good signal.

I'm not an expert but I know enough to buy and setup most entertainment equipment.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

This has been really helpful guys. Most times i am up on techno stuff, but HDTV was out side my wheel house. Keep any ideas you have flowing.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Amazon.com has some really great prices on all types of home theater equipment. The dirty little secret on HDMI is that shielding is not nearly as important as it is for analogue type cables. For the most part (generalizing) with digital you are either getting the signal or you are not (quality is based on 0's and 1's not on waves i.e. artifacting is caused by short losses of data as opposed to snow caused by interferences in the wave length). As long as you have some basic shielding and good continuous conductivity you will be good to go . As others have said the monoprice cables are good cheap quality cables. If you are only using a 6ft or less cable you will be safe with the even cheaper cables you can find on amazon.

I got my HDMI cable from a manufacturer in Indiana. "Cables to go" or something like that. A 25' cable for $48. (My receiver and player are not by the set.)
    As far as Monster cable......forget it. it is all hype. For speaker cable, go to Home Depot (or Lowes) and get the 100' coil of 12 ga. copper twin lead designed for low voltage lighting systems. 100' won't seem like that much when your cables go all over the room. I bundled my rear cables in a product called "snakeskin" that I got in white and when it is next to the baseboard, it just disappears. (Snakeskin is used in the electronics industry, it looks like those Chinese finger handcuffs you used to play with. It expands and contracts lengthwise.) Don't forget to label all the cables, you'll have a bunch. Keep the phase consistent.
    I did my own component surround system and I'm not a fan of the "package" systems, but I like movies to feel like the theater.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
    1080p vs. 480p is a big difference, and what loss of freedom are you talking about? Also running an optical connection is just as easy as running a digital coax cable and its a better connection.
    I have seen HD demos in stores; I can't tell much of a difference. For some it's a big deal; me I'm happy with broadcast quality.

I suppose it's not so much of a loss of freedom, but I object to the excessive restrictions of the Blu-Ray DRM (more restrictive than CSS).

The coax to me seems easier to connect, maintain, and locate appropriate cables. I have used both, and noted no difference in quality (and honestly, no real improvement over quality analog cables). Some people can tell the difference, I'm not one of them.

It's kind of like buying a sub MOA rifle when you can't group under 6' at 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by enk5
    ... He uses the long monoprice cables and you cannot tell a difference. At his home he has a dedicated theater room and is using a 100ft HDMI cable with no loss of signal...
    I don't doubt it, digital signals are quite a bit more stable than the analog stuff I'm used to. However, the theory still stands: greater cable length increases the likelihood of interference. I'm sure any 100' length of cable will adequately transmit signal from the player to the display. I wouldn't however splice together 3 3' cheapo cables in a server room directly underneath a HAM radio antenna.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links