My gun budget just took a big dent...HELP ADVICE NEEDED

This is a discussion on My gun budget just took a big dent...HELP ADVICE NEEDED within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; LOL.....OK My TV took a crap on me yesterday completely unexpected. I had to go buy a new one. My old set was a 10 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My gun budget just took a big dent...HELP ADVICE NEEDED

LOL.....OK My TV took a crap on me yesterday completely unexpected. I had to go buy a new one. My old set was a 10 yr old analog. I went and made a great deal on a LG 42" LCD. It has 240 hz refresh, 1080p, and 80000:1 contrast. Now I know I need a blu ray player, and I want to hook it up to HD. I wanna buy HDMI cables. I hear Monster are the best. I just dont know what to buy. I am not a huge gamer, but I am a movie buff. Somebody tel lme what I need to buy.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    I'm not much of a tech type, but I've been told that it doesn't make much sense to purchase the best of the best HDMI cables that store like Best Buy and such push. Even the low end ones sold at home improvement and discount stores have more than enough capacity for our TV and components.
    Its kinda like buying a 12" water main to supply a drinking fountain.

The only other thing I can suggest is to do purchase a home theater in a box. There are some really nice packages out there for not a whole lot of money. You will find that the flat panel TV's audio is lacking, especially when watching movies. Just make sure that the system has enough inputs for your bluray, DVD or what ever else you want to run through it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

MONOPRICE.COM

There is seriously no other place to go buy HDMI or other theater cables and accessories.

You can get a mount for ~$20 bucks.

You can get HDMI cables for $5 dollars. (Not used stuff Brand New)

No joke. People say. Well I'd never trust my $2000 TV on such a cheap mount or I won't get as good quality out of a cheap HDMI Cable.

Do not buy from any Electronics stores they try and get $30 bucks for a 2 foot cable! for $30 you could get a 15 footer from monoprice.

Their mounts are not cheaply made either. My friend has his 50" plasma hung from one. It's not coming down.

ETA: their site appears to be down for now but check back tuesday and you'll see what I mean.

Also if you have alot of components get a Harmony Remote. Best thing ever. You progrm it on the computer and It changes all your settings depending on what activity you want, It'll control anything that has a remote. They are pricey but I found mine on Craigslist for $30
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Personally I'm going to wait for DVDs to become unavailable before investing in a Blu-ray player. The quality difference does not justify the expense and loss of freedom with it.

The quality of cable will depend on the quality of your equipment, and the cable legnth. If you buy the cheapest player and the cheapest TV on the market, those will be your limiting factors. If you are transmitting a long distance (say 50') you will want a higher quality cable.

Monster makes professional grade cables. They may not be the best, but they are definitely up there.

Don't forget your audio. Even the best displays won't have sound that compares to a quality digital surround system (I'd go with coax over optical for simplicity).
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I agree with SIXTO; an all-in-one system is definitely the way to travel. When we got our 52" LG I bought a Bose Lifestyle system, it is awesome. Just a few months ago, we used our tax refund to put a 37" flatscreen in our bedroom, and I bought a Bose 3.2.1 system for that. Both systems have integral DVD players, and you can add BluRay players if you want to.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

EW3
    The $20-$30 HDMI cable you can buy at your local Walmart will work just fine.

There is NO reason to spend big $$$ on fancy Monster cables!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    LOL.....OK My TV took a crap on me yesterday completely unexpected. I had to go buy a new one. My old set was a 10 yr old analog. I went and made a great deal on a LG 42" LCD. It has 240 hz refresh, 1080p, and 80000:1 contrast. Now I know I need a blu ray player, and I want to hook it up to HD. I wanna buy HDMI cables. I hear Monster are the best. I just dont know what to buy. I am not a huge gamer, but I am a movie buff. Somebody tel lme what I need to buy.

Cheapest way is to find someone you know that works @ best buy/office max/whatever and have them use their employee discount. Save you a TON of $$ especially if you get the store brand which in all honesty is all 99% of the general population will ever need. There is not real significant difference for the average user between the $1 a foot hdmi and the $5 a food hdmi. Having said that if you can't find a friend who works there then maybe wally world or newegg if you can find a free shipping deal its worth it. I forgot how much cheaper it was using employee discounts with wires but i know with those double sided single dvd/cd sleeves best buy charges $10 retail and the employees get them for $0.98ish. It was a huge difference with cables last i checked as well

I heavily agree with the monoprice.com recommendation.

Used to install high end home theaters and there is a huge markup and at times voodoo involved with cables. If you're just looking for a typical 6-12ft cable to go from a component to the TV in the same entertainment unit just got a low priced HDMI cable.

Blu-ray players have come down in price a lot and I've seen some good deals so if you were looking to get a DVD player anyway you might as well get a Blu-ray player, get an HDMI cable and call it a day. Once you got that then I'd say start looking into upgrading the audio. Not sure of your comfort level, as you can find home theaters in a box that even have built-in blu-ray players and are fairly easy to setup, I just have not found one that sounds decent to me.

I'm not a fan of those all-in-one units as they have limited inputs/outputs and if you aren't careful then once you add 1 or 2 more devices you quickly realize you've run out of inputs or are limited to 1 digital audio input, etc...

I'd say get a separate surround receiver, and then a separate speaker package. Speakers can last you a long time and is one of the areas where I would not be afraid to invest a little more money into, as opposed to top of the line cables.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Personally I'm going to wait for DVDs to become unavailable before investing in a Blu-ray player. The quality difference does not justify the expense and loss of freedom with it.
    I agree. We have a huge collection of DVDs so when I got my HDTV, I went with a home theatre with upconverting DVD. Now our entire existing library of DVDs is in very near Hi def quality, along with the surround sound of the home theatre.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I wanna buy HDMI cables. I hear Monster are the best.
    Hey, if you've got the money to blow, go ahead.
    I've heard that Monster is overdoing it and overpriced. Just telling you what I hear.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

CC
    Costco has some of the best prices I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post

The quality of cable will depend on the quality of your equipment, and the cable legnth. If you buy the cheapest player and the cheapest TV on the market, those will be your limiting factors. If you are transmitting a long distance (say 50') you will want a higher quality cable.

Monster makes professional grade cables. They may not be the best, but they are definitely up there.

Don't forget your audio. Even the best displays won't have sound that compares to a quality digital surround system (I'd go with coax over optical for simplicity).
    1080p vs. 480p is a big difference, and what loss of freedom are you talking about? Also running an optical connection is just as easy as running a digital coax cable and its a better connection.
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

Sponsor
    Check ebay if you really want Monster brand cables. Most store brand cables are good enough.

My suggestions for expanding would start with:

Sony PS3: Excellent game system with HDMI output which incorporates BluRay(sp), dvd, internet access and allows you to stream video from NetFlix... The cooling fan is a little loud.

Surround Sound Processor: Pick your flavor. The mid priced systems are fine and even some of the wallyworld lower end stuff are actually decent... unless you are a true audiophile.

Harmony Programmable Remote: best money I ever spent. Plug into you computer and program for almost any mfg. model and set up activity buttons to automatically adjust all the settings for all your gear with one touch! One caveat, when I bought my Harmony they did not work with the PS3 as the PS3 is a blue tooth system. That may not be true any more.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Sponsor
    DOH!!! I meant to hit edit!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Check ebay if you really want Monster brand cables. Most store brand cables are good enough.

My suggestions for expanding would start with:

Sony PS3: Excellent game system with HDMI output which incorporates BluRay(sp), dvd, internet access and allows you to stream video from NetFlix... The cooling fan is a little loud.

Surround Sound Processor: Pick your flavor. The mid priced systems are fine and even some of the wallyworld lower end stuff are actually decent... unless you are a true audiophile.

Harmony Programmable Remote: best money I ever spent. Plug into you computer and program for almost any mfg. model and set up activity buttons to automatically adjust all the settings for all your gear with one touch! One caveat, when I bought my Harmony they did not work with the PS3 as the PS3 is a blue tooth system. That may not be true any more.
    Edit: You wil also want Rock Band and Call of duty: Modern Warfare II at the minimum
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I was afraid the Monsters were overrated....thats why I come to experts.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links