Anyone know about DMAT ???

Anyone know about DMAT ???

This is a discussion on Anyone know about DMAT ??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I work at a hospital as an X-Ray tech and am being rather aggressively recruited by an EMT friend for a Florida based DMAT group. ...

Question Anyone know about DMAT ???

I work at a hospital as an X-Ray tech and am being rather aggressively recruited by an EMT friend for a Florida based DMAT group.

That is a Disaster Medical Assistance Team. They work under FEMA and get called up much like the National Guard during any emergency where the local medical community is either non-functioning or overwhelmed by any sort of disaster, natural or otherwise.

It seems they have a critical shortage of medical imagers and are really putting the pressure on me to sign up. I like the idea, as at the age of 54, I cannot re-enter the military but would love to if I could. It sounds to me like this outfit would definitely satisfy that odd need I feel to run into those places that others are running from. . .

Anyone part of DMAT or know much about it?

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Dont know a thing about them but iirc fema and some disaster relief teams from AZ got real crossways because the folks from AZ brought thier own armed security ( AZ state cops i belive ) to New Orelians during katrina . just food for thought .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Thanks for the reply, Redneck. Sounds to me like DMAT must be a "well-kept secret!"

Reading from the local unit's web site, it's clearly stated that firearms are a definite "no-no," but when the unit's activated, other agencies will be providing security.

Can't say that I've entirely thrilled with that notion, but since I'd be taking X-Rays, I'd be working in a "rear area" and should be relatively safe. . .

On the other hand, if it turns into a shooting gallery, I'm thinking there'd be plenty of firearms to be had, lying on the ground.

Funny thing is, a locking folding knife is listed as "suggested personal equipment," followed by statements that carrying a knife cannot be done at times, due to transport being on commercial carriers.

They must be somewhat desperate, as the application package is being overnighted to the recruiter for me, and I've been advised to get a passport, ASAP.

I think I'm going to give it a go.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    well best of luck to you on it , i hope it works for ya
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrative Ban Array Red Stick's Avatar
    I'm an EMT in Louisiana and here we have a State level DMAT which is separate from the FEMA one. I got a mailer last year asking if I wanted to sign up. I didn't.

Links