A New Show I'll Be Watching - "Justified"

This is a discussion on A New Show I'll Be Watching - "Justified" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 21bubba According to another forum most, if not all of the outside shots were filmed in Ky. I recognized the bridge scene, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46

Thread: A New Show I'll Be Watching - "Justified"

  1. #31
    Member Array bgglock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    According to another forum most, if not all of the outside shots were filmed in Ky.

    I recognized the bridge scene, the "church" that got blown up, and also some shots from Somerset. Of course the bridge isn't where they said it is and neither is the "church".
    I also recognized the Bridge scene but couldn't exactly place it. But it sure wasn't the Tates Creek Road that I know in Lexington. I also thought I recognized a few places in Somerset, but wasn't sure.
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

    Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    Member Array 1776forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    57
    I missed the premire on Tuesday,but I watched it online last night. All I have to say is WOW!! I've always liked Timothy Olyphant but he really shines in this series. He plays the best villian I've seen in a while (Die Hard 4, The Girl Next Door) and with this series,I can't tell if he's the good guy or bad guy.This will fill the Tuesday night slot untill S.O.A. returns. I really like the belt and holster he wears. I don't know for sure but it looks like a Bob Mernickle rig.

  4. #33
    Senior Member Array jhh3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    nc
    Posts
    651
    I see "Shane" didn't use any of his money from the Armenian-Money-Train for dental work.

  5. #34
    Member Array merischino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southern Florida
    Posts
    301

    Finally got around to watching these...

    Hey guys. I know as the OP you'd have thunk I'd have been watching all along, but I'm what they call a time-shifter. Saving shows to watch when I'm ready and can devote my undivided (yes that means commercials!) attention to the enterprise.

    I have to say that after the first 3, I am 100% hooked. Timothy Olyphant is again both credible as a law man and intriguing and off-beat at the same time.

    I like the rest of cast almost as much, which is saying a lot.

    I can't remember the list of things I wanted to ask the group (as I watched these episodes a couple of days ago) but one thing is still stuck in my mind.

    When asked about the Miami shooting of the bad guy who he gave 24 hours to leave town, our beloved lawman consistently repeats that "he drew first, it was Justified".

    Now, I know that in a citizen SD shooting situation, the "he drew first" argument will only fly if you are an innocent person minding your own business when the scenario begins. If it is, say, a scenario which begins with you agitating or aggravating some other person who then draws a gun on you, the SD/"justified use of force" argument goes out the window.

    So...our western hatted lawman is in a shooting scenario that actually begins with him telling his opponent and ultimate recipient of his bullets that he intends to shoot him dead within 24 hours if he doesn't leave town. If we "forget" that Olyphant is a US Marshall and the bullet recipient is a known felon with a record, it seems quite clear to me that Olyphant was the aggressor, made verbal statements and backed them up with demonstrating heat ... AOJ all satisfied, and the known felon happened to be "at large" walking the streets free assumedly legally, having served his time....

    I guess my question is this: Is the shooting that is referred to repeatedly over the first 3 episodes as "justified" in the words of the protagonist, in fact actually justified under the laws of either Florida or Kentucky, either by a free law abiding citizen or by a legally sworn representative of the US Federal government?

    I have a feeling that said shooting was, in fact, not justified, at all. The fact that his Miami boss sent him to the sticks to minimize the S-storm coming his way would tend to underline the fact that it was not justified. That, and of course the fact that the only person who ever calls the shooting by that word is the shooter himself.

    Won't keep me from watching. But it does keep me wondering, what laws apply to US Marshalls?
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

  6. #35
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Yep, I'm hooked too. Some great dialogue in the script. Olyphant was great as Seth Bullock in Deadwood and I am liking him as a modern day lawman as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  7. #36
    Member Array Kenny256's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bolivar MO
    Posts
    342
    I going to watch the episodes online right now!
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

    The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

  8. #37
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    merischino... I understand your dilemma regarding the circumstances surrounding the shooting in question. And here's the deciding factor.

    The dead guy wasn't around to tell his side of the story! So, it was the lawman's story, versus a dead felon. Understand? *wink, wink*

    As Denzel Washington stated so eloquently in Training Day... "It's not what you know... It's what you can prove!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  9. #38
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    merischino... I understand your dilemma regarding the circumstances surrounding the shooting in question. And here's the deciding factor.

    The dead guy wasn't around to tell his side of the story! So, it was the lawman's story, versus a dead felon. Understand? *wink, wink*

    As Denzel Washington stated so eloquently in Training Day... "It's not what you know... It's what you can prove!
    O.K. somebody has to say it. It's a "T.V. show", it's not real, it's supposed to entertain, not always factual.

  10. #39
    Member Array merischino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southern Florida
    Posts
    301
    Ok yes I know it's a tv show, but it's a gunnie tv show and so I wanna talk about guns! on the tv show!

    Otherwise, all you poor gunnie men will have to listen to this gunnie woman drool over Olyphant's sexy..... hat.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

  11. #40
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    O.K. somebody has to say it. It's a "T.V. show", it's not real, it's supposed to entertain, not always factual.

    Are you kiddin me? I thought it was like COPS... Real Marshall's with a TV crew following them.

    Just bustin' your chops bubba.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  12. #41
    Senior Member Array 45ACP4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    697
    Looks like I'm going to have to find Deadwood to watch. I think Olyphant is awesome. Goggins is great too.

    I liked the scene where the head of his office is talking to him about his recent shootings saying "Well ya know how in kindergarten if you kept biting kids they might start to call you a biter? It's like that."

    I think this series will take off. I liked his 'encounter' with the skinhead at Ava's. Always be polite!!
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

  13. #42
    Member Array muzzleloader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ann arbor, michigan.
    Posts
    152
    yeah, they had me when I saw the ads in Guns and Ammo.

  14. #43
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever View Post
    Looks like I'm going to have to find Deadwood to watch. I think Olyphant is awesome.
    Try Netflix... Or, you can buy the DVD's from Walmart or HBO's online store. You won't be disappointed with a single episode, so you might as well buy the set. It only ran for 3 seasons, so you won't have to buy like 8 seasons like you do for Soprano's.

    Aside from Olyphant who's intensity as Sheriff Seth Bullock carries over into his character on "Justified", actors Ian McShane as saloon owner Al Swearengen and Robin Weigert as Calamity Jane are both captivating and memorable. I know the portrayal of Calamity Jane by Weigert is more historically accurate than any other portrayal of her in other movies. Also a very interesting and probably accurate account of the murder of Wild Bill Hickok.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  15. #44
    Member Array merischino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southern Florida
    Posts
    301
    [QUOTE=Bark'n;1566218]You won't be disappointed with a single episode,

    +1. I loved the series right from the opening credits. My brother and I were living in the same city at the time, and we used his DVR to save up the episodes and watch them together in a marathon when getting together. I don't know exactly when in the first season this takes place, however my adoration for the show was certainly cemented in an early episodes story-arc where Olyphant as lawman Bullock and McShane as law unto himself barman and loan shark/heavyweight get into it, have an actual fistfight of epic proportions, and without revealing the winner both end up with physical damage as a result of that fight which realistically lasts for multiple episodes.

    Rarely in watching a television show do I think to honor the men and women responsible for makeup. The quality of the jobs done on Mr. McShane's eyelid and its inability to properly open due to that fight, and to Garret Dillahunt's eye, which was a permanent disfigurement for the character he played, were so remarkable, believable, and stunning that they indeed had the same effect on me watching the tv as they would have in person seeing a person so afflicted.

    The acting was of a quality on the part of the entire ensemble that is rarely to be seen. Supporting roles and other main ones played by too many persons to name here were worthwhile in and of themselves to direct anyone to watch the show. That said, the two men already mentioned really did shine a light. Swearingen's could maybe best be described as an unholy light...

    Another soul who hasn't been mentioned yet is the woman currently playing Mrs. Graystone on Caprica.... that actress was originally cast for a single episode on Deadwood as a throwaway whore that Al Swearingen was supposed to kill in a fit of rage. Apparently she was so good in the role they designed a place for her as not just a recurring, but a rather close to main character for the entirety of the series. Seeing her in that role, compared to her role on Caprica as perhaps the wealthiest woman on the planet, you can get a sense of the breadth of her talent.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

  16. #45
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    [QUOTE=merischino;1566837]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You won't be disappointed with a single episode,

    +1. I loved the series right from the opening credits. My brother and I were living in the same city at the time, and we used his DVR to save up the episodes and watch them together in a marathon when getting together. I don't know exactly when in the first season this takes place, however my adoration for the show was certainly cemented in an early episodes story-arc where Olyphant as lawman Bullock and McShane as law unto himself barman and loan shark/heavyweight get into it, have an actual fistfight of epic proportions, and without revealing the winner both end up with physical damage as a result of that fight which realistically lasts for multiple episodes.

    Rarely in watching a television show do I think to honor the men and women responsible for makeup. The quality of the jobs done on Mr. McShane's eyelid and its inability to properly open due to that fight, and to Garret Dillahunt's eye, which was a permanent disfigurement for the character he played, were so remarkable, believable, and stunning that they indeed had the same effect on me watching the tv as they would have in person seeing a person so afflicted.

    The acting was of a quality on the part of the entire ensemble that is rarely to be seen. Supporting roles and other main ones played by too many persons to name here were worthwhile in and of themselves to direct anyone to watch the show. That said, the two men already mentioned really did shine a light. Swearingen's could maybe best be described as an unholy light...

    Another soul who hasn't been mentioned yet is the woman currently playing Mrs. Graystone on Caprica.... that actress was originally cast for a single episode on Deadwood as a throwaway whore that Al Swearingen was supposed to kill in a fit of rage. Apparently she was so good in the role they designed a place for her as not just a recurring, but a rather close to main character for the entirety of the series. Seeing her in that role, compared to her role on Caprica as perhaps the wealthiest woman on the planet, you can get a sense of the breadth of her talent.
    You know the show has made a transformation when by the end of the series you find yourself rooting for a man like Swearengen! (or at least recognizing and sympathetic as to why he is who he is) He wasn't without compassion, in his own sick way. And in a time when there was no written law of any kind in the territory, survival takes on a whole new meaning.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: February 7th, 2011, 07:57 PM
  2. Is Everyone Watching the new "Sons of Guns" TV Show on the Discovery Channel ? -VIDEO
    By LanceORYGUN in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2011, 11:05 PM
  3. "...shooting was not justified.....stripped of his gun and badge."
    By pistola in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: January 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM
  4. A New Show I'll Be Watching - "Justified"
    By merischino in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: March 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM
  5. Watching Bio channels "I Survived..."
    By rmxer85 in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: December 9th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Search tags for this page

he drew first justified quote television

,

justified fx

Click on a term to search for related topics.