Chev truck problems??? - Page 2

Chev truck problems???

This is a discussion on Chev truck problems??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Sheldon J Just a thought but I believe your ignition key has a security chip, if so it may have lost it's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Just a thought but I believe your ignition key has a security chip, if so it may have lost it's programing, do you have a different one you can try?
    Just about any computer chip can be ruined by a simple magnet or static electricity. I used to make them and have seen the damage up close under a microscope.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Have tried different keys and checked grounds and nothing. I took it into the shop so we will see.

Electrical problems can be tough to track down sometimes. The battery died on my 2000 GMC sitting inside the garage. I jumped it off and was driving it to the Auto Zone for a replacement. As I pulled on the highway the gauge's would all drop like the key was shut off the pop back on cycling this way all the way there.

The engine ran fine but the gauge's were going nuts and I could hear relays clicking on and off under the dash! I pull in the parking lot and shut off the engine and the dam thing keeps running! I take a 5/16 wrench and disconnect the battery... still running! Turn on and off the key... still running! Hummm how am I going to shut this dam thing off

I turned the key to start and barely scraped the starter gears teeth to the flywheel... then turned the key off. The engine finally shut off!

It had all kinds of gremlins with a low charged battery! I've worked on cars since 1974 building engines, painting, collision damage etc. and I aint never seen anything that weird... for just a bad battery!

Kinda sounds like a VATS (vehicle anti-theft system) or Passlock problem. I had problem a couple of years ago where my 98 Silverado would start, then die. Wait 10 minutes, then it would start and run OK for the day. Security light remained on. Drove me frakkin' crazy. Took it to a bunch of people with no luck. I was told to replace steering column wiring, key switch, etc, etc.

Anyway, I researched it myself and found that the VATS on my truck used a system that looked for a certain ohms reading when the key was turned on. I found a simple method to measure the ohms, then I bought a matching resistor at Radio Shack and soldered the resistor into place. The bypass has worked like a charm ever since. I was getting estimates of well over $1,000 to 'maybe' fix the problem, and I ended up fixing it myself for about two dollars!

Bottom line, keep searching around at all the truck forums. Then PM some of the guys that have had similar problems. There is often a creative and inexpensive way to solve these types of problems.

Good luck.

Of course, make sure your battery and all connections (especially grounds) are clean and secure.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Kinda sounds like a VATS (vehicle anti-theft system) or Passlock problem. I had problem a couple of years ago where my 98 Silverado would start, then die. Wait 10 minutes, then it would start and run OK for the day. Security light remained on. Drove me frakkin' crazy. Took it to a bunch of people with no luck. I was told to replace steering column wiring, key switch, etc, etc.

Anyway, I researched it myself and found that the VATS on my truck used a system that looked for a certain ohms reading when the key was turned on. I found a simple method to measure the ohms, then I bought a matching resistor at Radio Shack and soldered the resistor into place. The bypass has worked like a charm ever since. I was getting estimates of well over $1,000 to 'maybe' fix the problem, and I ended up fixing it myself for about two dollars!

Bottom line, keep searching around at all the truck forums. Then PM some of the guys that have had similar problems. There is often a creative and inexpensive way to solve these types of problems.

Good luck.

Of course, make sure your battery and all connections (especially grounds) are clean and secure.
    Oh dang forgot about that one, isn't that the one where they have to totally remove the dash to get at it????
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Oh dang forgot about that one, isn't that the one where they have to totally remove the dash to get at it????
    Not at all. On my truck, it simply involved removing two lower dash panels (under steering wheel) and then locating a few wires. Real Easy. The whole job took me about an hour........

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links