Chev truck problems???

This is a discussion on Chev truck problems??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Alright here is the story. I have an 03 Chev 1500. 5.3L motor. It is having a problem with the security system. When first starting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chev truck problems???

Chev truck problems???

Alright here is the story. I have an 03 Chev 1500. 5.3L motor. It is having a problem with the security system. When first starting on a normal truck the message board in the dash comes up as driver 1. Mine comes up as unknown driver. Sometimes it will lock out the stereo but not always. The 4wd and automatic lights do not work and when the lights are turned on manually the gauge lights don't come on.

The door locks don't work either. I don't have the remote so not sure if they work with than or not. This is a problem that just started happening all of the sudden. I have checked fuses and called dealers but that has done nothing. I'm not sure where to look next? I'm sure there are more details that I'm forgetting but that's the main stuff.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 View Post
    Alright here is the story. I have an 03 Chev 1500. 5.3L motor. It is having a problem with the security system. When first starting on a normal truck the message board in the dash comes up as driver 1. Mine comes up as unknown driver. Sometimes it will lock out the stereo but not always. The 4wd and automatic lights do not work and when the lights are turned on manually the gauge lights don't come on.

The door locks don't work either. I don't have the remote so not sure if they work with than or not. This is a problem that just started happening all of the sudden. I have checked fuses and called dealers but that has done nothing. I'm not sure where to look next? I'm sure there are more details that I'm forgetting but that's the main stuff.

Thanks in advance
    Have you tried disconnecting the battery overnight? Kind of a reboot maybe?
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Have you tried disconnecting the battery overnight? Kind of a reboot maybe?
    Sure did. Had it disconnected for like 3 hours. Still no change.

Sounds like your Chevy is having a identity crisis. It thinks its a dodge!!

I wonder if your truck needs to read a code from a remote. If you haven't yet try to google Chevy forums, I have found a few that helps ease the pain of my dodge.

Good luck!!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I wish it was a dodge ha ha. I don't understand how it could need to read a code from the remote now when it has been fine without it for 3 years? I'll try the search thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Sounds like your Chevy is having a identity crisis. It thinks its a dodge!!

I wonder if your truck needs to read a code from a remote. If you haven't yet try to google Chevy forums, I have found a few that helps ease the pain of my dodge.

Good luck!!
    Duh, I didn't even think about a Chevy forum. Go to FSC Forum - FSC News it is a pretty big forum. I went there when I had a Chevy 'Burbon
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Duh, I didn't even think about a Chevy forum. Go to FSC Forum - FSC News it is a pretty big forum. I went there when I had a Chevy 'Burbon
    I just signed up right before I saw your post. Nice. It looks pretty good we will see I guess.

Good luck with it, have you taken it to an o'reileys or autozone? They can check it on the computer for free and tell you whats wronge if it shows up. I know on some cars it was showing fine and it had problems.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    Good luck with it, have you taken it to an o'reileys or autozone? They can check it on the computer for free and tell you whats wronge if it shows up. I know on some cars it was showing fine and it had problems.
    I haven't yet its not showing a check engine light and usually a code reader is more for mechanical stuff like sensors going out and what not at least from my experience. Worth a try though right?

Is this a different key than you usually use? You may also inquire about the pass lock sensor located in the housing around the ignition cylinder.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I know this is a long shot....but....a lot of useful info is found on forums. You may like it, you may just go there to ask questions. I've been on automotive forums since 2003 and I learn what I need to know, and post up my own experiences for others. It is what it is, but make of it what you will. Best of luck to you and solving your issues.
    Chevy Truck World powered by EON - Enthusiasts' Online Network, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Is this a different key than you usually use? You may also inquire about the pass lock sensor located in the housing around the ignition cylinder.

joker1
    Same key. I have heard the ignition switch possibly so I'll look into that sensor as well.

Alright so now it had gotten worse. All it will do now is start for about 1-2 seconds then shut itself off. I changed the ignition switch and it didn't change anything. I'm really growing tired of this.

Check the body to the chassis ground for corrosion. It's the braided cable above the throttle cable on the firewall.

Check for corrosion on the lead (hot) terminals inside the small red plastic box that the battery's positive cable runs to. This is also the main feed lug to the alternator. Check for corrosion or loose cables at both ends. Careful these are hot so don't ground with a wrench.

Now heres your problem, You didn't buy a FORD...

Just a thought but I believe your ignition key has a security chip, if so it may have lost it's programing, do you have a different one you can try?

I like the bad ground idea too, have a older PU that got all glitcy and did weird stuff and that was what the problems boiled down to, but then this is MI and they love to use salt on the roads.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links