Update on GA move.....it's OFF.

This is a discussion on Update on GA move.....it's OFF. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There will be no GA_Mike in the foreseeable future. The move to Georgia is off. We will be staying put right here in Shelby County ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on GA move.....it's OFF.

There will be no GA_Mike in the foreseeable future.

The move to Georgia is off. We will be staying put right here in Shelby County Tennessee.

Here's a quick version of what happened. The station in Atlanta promised me, when I was there and had the job offered to me, that I could work 10am to 6pm, so I could avoid the rush hours. I really did not want to drive up 75/575 to Woodstock in that traffic.

They further promised me that my work week would be from Monday through Friday just like everyone else there in the Engineering Dept.

I was promised $3,000 moving expense money and when I asked if I should save receipts to be reimbursed I was told no, that the money would be sent to me in the form of a check that my wife and I could use as we saw fit to pay moving expenses.

All in all, a pretty good offer with the 12% pay increase over what I made where I currently was working.

Then, on Friday the 5th of March, my last day at the old station, when I got home, waiting for me in my email inbox was an email sent from who was to be my new boss, at 5pm Atlanta time, obviously as they were headed out the door. It informed me that, my hours would be 8am to 5pm, work days of Wednesday through Sunday and the moving money, all $1,200 of it would be added to my first paycheck!

I called him on his cell which seemed to anger him a little and asked what was going on. In the process of talking and explaining that these things contradicted what I had been promised before, He told me flat out that I was wrong and that he had never said those things. In fact, he did, and said them to me, looking me in the eye.

So, I was now in a bad position. I had already quit my old job. The new place was in the process of screwing me over before I even got there, and I wasn't sure exactly how I was going to pay for this move now.

So after talking about it all Saturday with my wife and deciding that since the GM where I had just left had asked me to stay on Friday, I called him Sunday and explained what had happened. I asked him if he still wanted me to stay and he told me he did. I said I would be not only happy to but very appreciative if he allowed me to stay on.

He called HR, they tore up my termination papers and I went to work as usual on Monday. I sent an email to the place in Atlanta telling them to take a hike and listing the things that made me change my mind.

It was a stress filled weekend. One that I wouldn't wish on anyone. We loved Atlanta. It is a great city and we (me, the wife and kids) would love to live there some day. But obviously this was not meant to be and I thank God that I found all this out about the new place before I actually uprooted everyone and moved them to Atlanta. Had all this been dumped on me the first day, it would have been too late and we would have really been unhappy. As it turns out, I am still employed by a company that likes me and values me. So it isn't all bad.

So, I will remain TN_Mike. And I should get to meet a few of my fellow DC'ers who live int he area for sure now!

And by the way, if anyone ever wondered, Bunny is a wonderful person. When we had trouble finding a house in the area we wanted, she contacted me through Facebook and got several people involved in finding us a place. She went out of her way to help me and the family even though she had never met us before! She is a true great American and I only hope I can meet her one day and giver her a great big hug!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Glad to hear it worked out... sounds like you dodged a nasty one! Lucky for you to find out what kind of screwing you were getting before it was too late.

FWIW, $3K is a pittance for relocation, but I doubt I'm telling you anything you don't know. Just about any decent-sized corporation offering relo has a package (moving, house-hunting trip, closing costs on the new home, third-party purchase of the old home, etc) worth several times what you were offered.

Gutsy move on your part to pick up the phone and call your almost-former boss... bet you had some butterflies when you made that call!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Hindsight learned through experience - get the ENTIRE deal in writing BEFORE making any decisions. Sure am sorry you had to learn it the hard way too.

Good luck with the new/old job!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Welcome back to the great state of Tennessee

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Hindsight learned through experience - get the ENTIRE deal in writing BEFORE making any decisions. Sure am sorry you had to learn it the hard way too.

Good luck with the new/old job!
    +1 to that!

Just another example of corporate America trying to screw over the little guy.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

+1 That you found out in advance. How the Atlanta politics work :) Welcome back to GOOD OLE TENN.
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Glad it worked out in the end. and seems for the better. Keep that bulldog hat on....lol
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

VIP Member
    You're lucky you found out about your new boss before you moved, and you're lucky your old boss was glad to have you back.

To me something smells about the timing of the email you got from the new boss. It seems like he was trying to slip something under the wire at the last minute. Good thing you caught it, I hope the new bosses boss knows about this guy's tactics.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    I guess its better you found out this way, and it looks like you landed on your feet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    My Dad has always told me to get the offer in writing with all the details before quitting your job. I am glad that your old job took you back. That could have been real nasty.

Wow Mike....I'm sorry to hear it fell through. But you're right...it's a good thing this happened before you left TN vs finding this on Day 1 of the new job.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Like Judge Judy says get it in writing,he said she said is hard to prove in court
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Glad you found out soon befor it was too late.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member
    Congrats, Mike. You're clearly a class act, and your (almost)former employer appreciates it. A good lesson for all to never burn bridges.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Welcome Home Mike!

Thank God you found out what you did before you made the move, sorry the new(almost) boss turned out to be a jerk.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links