More Smilies Still Out

This is a discussion on More Smilies Still Out within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Like an idiot I had to try it. I really was hoping the upgrade of the software would fix the Smilies problem. So late this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Smilies Still Out

VIP Member

More Smilies Still Out

Like an idiot I had to try it. I really was hoping the upgrade of the software would fix the Smilies problem. So late this afternoon I clicked [More]. Everything was going great until there were less than 300 objects to load and kaboom. Same way as before - screen bounces, content of the screen disappearing, etc. So I guess I'll have to wait a while longer. I was going to save the page as a Web archive, single file (*.mht). Then when I needed a smilie I would open the file in the browser and copy and paste the one I wanted. Alas, it was not to be.

We will wait a while longer.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Yeah, George, that drives me nuts, too. I can usually find an answer to just about any problem vBulletin can throw at me, given enough time. This particular problem, however, I have had no luck in resolving. It's been happening for over a year. I deleted over 300 smilies thinking it was just freaking out at the sheer number but that didn't fix it. I have gone through there deleting duplicates and looking for one that might be corrupt with no luck either. I even posted the problem to their support forum and didn't get an explanation. Maybe I will post again and someone will have an answer......
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator
    I've not tried loading them all in a while...maybe I'll try again right now.

OK...My computer gets to right about 200 REMAINING to be loaded then it spazzes out and goes ballistic.

Everything loads normally right up till then.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I just tried it and it did stop for a few seconds on my computer but
    it did go ahead and load all of them up in another popup window for me.

It does take a little bit of time and memory to do it.

VIP Member
    Hey, Bumper, I think I have identified the problem with the smilies. It is called Microsoft Internet Explorer. I have no problems opening the smilies in Opera 9 nor in Mozilla Firefox. I am in Firefox at this moment and this is the next to the last smilie on the list. So evidently something in the smilies down around 200 or so from the bottom does not agree with IE. Don't know what you can do about that except wait until IE 7 finally comes out and hope that the problem does not happen in it as well. I guess you could post a sticky telling members that if they want to use more smilies they need to be in Opera or Firefox.

By the way, it doesn't matter whether the smilies are loading from the internet or a saved file IE goes crazy.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

DC Founder
    Hmmm, there must be something IE doesn't like either in an individual smiley or it overloads something. Crazy. I have posted again over on the vBulletin support forum to see if anyone has an answer....
    Bumper

VIP Member
    I use Firefox and have to say the window has always opened fully with me. I've got lots of RAM, though. Maybe that helps.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Administrator
    Bumper...You know (for sure) that I am no Compu~Whiz but, my guess is a bum Smilie.

Since my monitor screen flashes/pulses to the animated Smilie Beat when it spazzes out.

DC Founder
    I've got 2G of memory so I doubt that has anything to do with it. I expect that it has something to do with IE or, as QK said, it could be a corrupt smiley. If it is, that would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. The problem is that if I completely unload and re-load the smilies, we could have little broken smiley graphics scattered all over the forum. That would just make matters worse.....
    Bumper

VIP Member
    I just tried it with IE and it did the wigout thing. I followed the smilies as the loaded their way down and it looks like it started 2/3 of the way down, about "reddy" or "bawling" if that helps.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

The Dr. does it again! I run Mozilla exclusively, and have never had a shortage of emoticons - just a shortage of time to look at them all!

It is the "evil" MS "Machine" at it again - limiting the expression of emotion....... .....

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    i had the same proublem just tryed to use the more list about half way down there all jittery like smiles on speed

It must be an IE problem.....

I use Netscape 7.2 because I hate the new version, and it loads the smilies, everytime I click the more link. It usually only takes about 5-10 seconds and boom they're up. I'm only running 512k of ram so I don't think it's a memory issue, it sounds like a software conflict. Maybe my 2 cents will help.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

DC Founder
    The lead guy over at vBulletin said it sounded like an IE problem. He had never heard of it before.....
    Bumper

It works in Firefox for me, but not in IE7beta2. I have a 1.5GB RAM.
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links